Visitiors / Tourist Bus Fares

I stand corrected .... must be that I've simply not noticed. Still think that if Sheffield and Coventry are in competition along with many other parts of this great country they must get an edge to make them come - travel costs is one such opportunity to attract tourist who are based in and about the city. Day tickets don't allow for spontaneous decisions and for families I suspect taxis are likely to be a financially and secure method of travel for the tourists in a new and vibrant city like Sheffield. Having said that I know some people who think we should keep Sheffield a secret... to keep it to ourselves ..... there is some merit in that as well. I came to Sheffield as a student and stayed ...along with many others and suspect 'the cats out the bag'!

I think when you're in Sheffield you don't notice as much. When I moved away in '99 I started to notice Sheffield pamphlets in those little carousels with other tourist information guides at various places.

But back then, and now, they're still not brilliant and don't do enough to sell the city.

That would be politically brave though. It would require us to pay more council tax to fund it. Councillors would have to convince that it was the most deserving cause for the increased tax revenue to be spent on too. I think those that have bought a car and paid for tax, MOT, fuel and everything else probably would take a lot of convincing.

Thanks, Tolstoy. Unfortunately, the local authority isn't legally able to increase Council Tax as the (Tory) government prohibit this - so no amount of bravery can overcome that.

Council Tax ??.....Guess the subject will come up if cities ban diesel vehicles in inner city areas, they will need to ensure that there is a realistic infrastructure to move people around plus incentives to attract new jobs like Rolls Royce / Boeing / McLaren and Chinese investment seem to be no problem. Tourism creates jobs and money spent in the area by Tourist filters through to the local businesses/ economy. Surely strategic planning is ongoing for public transport in the future. Or am I dreaming out loud? Interesting how this topic is developing. Thanks to you all.

Was at Dore & Totley station on Saturday morning just after 8 and despite the Northern strike saw 6 people get off from East Midlands and TPE services from Manchester to interchange with the 218 for Chatsworth. Unfortunately the first bus they needed was more than an hour after they arrived. Heaven only knows if they got there, or how they got back.

The majority of us who don't rely on public transport can't begin to understand the situation of those who rely on it totally. Cost and convenience are quite daunting. I just wonder how those visitors, all with less perfect English than my own, will have viewed their day. At least the weather was kind.

Edited by 1978
Spelling

Was at Dore & Totley station on Saturday morning just after 8 and despite the Northern strike saw 6 people get off from East Midlands and TPE services from Manchester to interchange with the 218 for Chatsworth. Unfortunately the first bus they needed was more than an hour after they arrived. Heaven only knows if they got there, or how they got back.

The majority of us who don't rely on public transport can't begin to understand the situation of those who rely on it totally. Cost and convenience are quite daunting. I just wonder how those visitors, all with less perfect English than my own, will have viewed their day. At least the weather was kind.

I find Google Maps very useful for such journeys. I've used it in all sorts of places to plan linked up journeys on public transport.

There look to be buses once an hour on that route, but the first is at 9.20.

The majority of us who are not car dependant and capable of asking for advice and can use timetables, can broaden their use of the Peak District. It might take longer but it is certainly more interesting than sitting or returning to car parks.

Amongst many possibilities:

Sheffield-New Mills-Buxton-Matlock-Derby-Sheffield by bus and train.

The Derbyshire Wayfarer day rover ticket

Get off and on, walk, have a beer, fewer traffic jams.

£12.60 for an adult + child under 16

£6.30 for 60+, child or ENCTS.

£23 two adults and up to three children

(a dog may travel in place of a child).

Obviously their are places/times when driving is the best solution- but not always.

The advice/decision the travellers had/made of getting off at Dore en-route to Chatsworth was wrong.

The advice/decision the travellers had/made of getting off at Dore en-route to Chatsworth was wrong.

I fear it was on Saturday, although coming from the suburbs of Manchester towards New Mills it might not have been on a normal Saturday without a strike, and if they were aware of the 218 timetable. Although a half hourly service to Bakewell it's hourly to Chatsworth, but that's not absolutely true............ see below.

The Northern stopping trains arriving at Dore & Totley from Manchester at 8.58 and 9.58 would connect with a 218 due outside the station at about 9.20 or 10.20, as they would thoughout the day at the same times past the hour.

A better plan for getting from Manchester to Chatsworth by public transport would be to continue on the train into Sheffield to pick up the 218 in town. The hourly nature of the direct Chatsworth service would be the same issue, but they should (as these two parties had, although too early in the day) use the half hourly fast train services. They might get to Chatsworth 5 minutes earlier by taking the bus direct to Bakewell and staying on for it's return trip that comes back via Chatsworth.

I'm glad I have a car!!