Murder of Alan Greaves/ trial

Well that's that then.

Sorted..

Now, moving on Who likes Sandals & Who likes Axe handles?

but its not actually a punishment is it. its cushier than on the outside, trying to live on £53 or whatever they get, doesnt have to worry that the gas bill is due, or should he pay the council tax instead.

Of course it's a punishment, your view of life, aspirations and the freedom to associate must be a very simplistic one if you believe being in prison and receiving 3 meals a day compares favourably to the restrictions placed on the impoverished in a free society.

If prison life were so wonderful, you wouldn't find criminals going to great lengths to avoid incarceration.

---------- Post added 23-07-2013 at 23:24 ----------

and maybe if there were more of the pitchfork carrying brigade rather that the sandal wearing tofu eating brigade Mr Greaves would be alive now.

I suspect Bowling was more of the pitchfork carrying than the muesli knitting cohort.

Of course it's a punishment, your view of life, aspirations and the freedom to associate must be a very simplistic one if you believe being in prison and receiving 3 meals a day compares favourably to the restrictions placed on the impoverished in a free society.

It depends on the person. Enlightened, honest, law abiding individuals like us would fear punishment.

But what of those who live on the poor estates, with little hope and steal to survive? It was said that prison was the best thing that happened to the Bulger killers because they finally got a warm shelter above their heads, clean clothes and hot meals.

[/color]

You join the army, get three square meals a day, have restrictions, and get told what to so and when to do it.

The only difference to being in prison is that on top of all that you have to train to become a soldier which is very hard work and that is the major difference between prisoners and recruits who have to work damned hard, so why shouldn't prisoners.

Edited by Peer Gynt

[/color]

You join the army, get three square meals a day, have restrictions, and get told what to so and when to do it.

The only difference to being in prison is that on top of all that you have to train to become a soldier which is very hard work and that is the major difference between prisoners and recruits who have to work damned hard, so why shouldn't prisoners.

What a hopelessly naive statement...

[/color]

The regular army is being reduced in size; "joining the army" now means being a reservist.

The only difference to being in prison.......

That and the fact that it's voluntary, pays you a wage, provides a pension, means that you're held in the public esteem, lets you see a bit of the world at the same time but may also mean you could appear on your local war memorial. Yes. The only difference really.

Recently have been watching a series on true crime, a British TV series with the above title, I wouldn't have mentioned it but this terrible event took place in High Green approx. 5 or 6yrs ago. Long story short, two low lifes attacked an elderly man with pick axe handles one Christmas evening, for no other reason than the man who was on his way to his church to play the organ and happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. Reason I am mentioning it there was quite a few references to Sheffield and the Northern General Hospital where the victim was taken too but didn't survive his serious head injuries. When I was growing up it was known as the City General (I know everybody is well aware of the name change). One other thing I would like to mention during the course of the programme they show a directional road sign indicating the Hospital, Firth Park and Grimesthorpe. Please, I am not being flippant and appreciate the gravity of such an event but I thought it was worth a mention for other reasons. fleetwood