Loud music in pubs

does anyone else like to hear music when they go to a pub/bar, but not so loud that you can't talk/hear your friends

i complained in one place recently and i thought the bar staff were going to be quite helpful, and just get the dj to turn it down a notch ... but they just stood around the bar and had a laugh about me

Fair enough if it is late in the evening but i'm sure lots of people would like to use places early on and not be drowned out by what's playing ... but not just get a narrow minded suggestion to go to a Wetherspoons pub where there's (usually) no music

If they had a DJ playing music it was never going to be quiet, if they were just going to play background music they would have put the jukebox on.

why does it have to be loud? i'm not suggesting it should be really quiet, just at a medium level then if they automatically equate 'loud' with being 'better' they can gradually turn it up as the evening goes on .

If a pub is paying someone to play music, they want it loud to attract the people of whatever genre they are playing and keep them in. I personally don't like it loud because I go out for a chat and a catch up, so I wouldn't pick a pub with a DJ.

Doesn't it depend what you want? Sometimes I want loud music- I seek out somewhere that is playing it. More often I want a quiet drink and a chat, so I go somewhere that is offering that. There's always a variety- just find somewhere that suits your mood!

most of the pub noise comes from the customers shouting

Pay a visit to a Sam Smiths pub, they don't allow music in the their pubs.

Pay a visit to a Sam Smiths pub, they don't allow music in the their pubs.

my local is a sam smiths last night we had seven in at chucking out time 11 0` clock all the other pubs have music on and close at between 12-1

Young folk say "If it's too loud , you are too old." I suppose they have a point:D

Loathe! Hate! Detest!

The best example of tautology for some time.

The best example of tautology for some time.

Just ' Loathe' would have sufficed for me, but unfortunately this forum setup deemed that too short a submission.