Downs Syndrome child refused Holy Communion

Well the Catholic church has shot itself in the foot with this one, a family friend has Downs Syndrome and is a credit to his parents. He has his own flat, works, and is far more intelligent than some folk that I have encountered.

Shame on them.

I was horrified to see this on the news this morning. So wrong!

Wrong on so many levels IMO.. I've met several Down's Syndrome people, in fact a guy with DS became my best mate at College years ago..

1. Is this person a Christian?

2. Has he been baptised?

3. Is he a practising Catholic?

4. Has he been through and does he accept the religious training required by the Catholic church before receiving Holy Communion?

5. Are there 'other reasons' why he may not be permitted to receive Holy Communion?

If the answer to any of the first 4 is 'No' and/or the answer to the 5th is 'Yes' then the Catholic church is not 'Shooting itself in the foot' it is merely complying with its own rules.

Although I do think it is very very wrong, I suppose them commenting about him 'not being ready' as he hasn't got enough concentration to get through the ceremony, and doesn't enjoy mass could be valid (not that I attend church or ever have, so don't know how much concentration would be required of a child) - They do say they are willing to work with the family in order to get him ready for it in the future, not that he will never be able to do it.

2. Has he been baptised?

4. Has he been through and does he accept the religious training required by the Catholic church before receiving Holy Communion?

5. Are there 'other reasons' why he may not be permitted to receive Holy Communion?

If the answer to any of the first 4 is 'No' and/or the answer to the 5th is 'Yes' then the Catholic church is not 'Shooting itself in the foot' it is merely complying with its own rules.

According an article I've just read:

"THE Roman Catholic Church is preventing a seven-year-old boy with Down’s Syndrome from taking his first Holy Communion.

Little Denum Ellarby goes to church, knows who Jesus is and is old enough to take part in the special ceremony.

But he will not be joining children of his age at Holy Communion preparation classes or on the big day itself at St Mary’s Church in Batley.

The diocese has written to Denum’s parents saying their son is not yet ready as he has ‘limited concentration’ and does not enjoy Mass."

http://www.dewsburyreporter.co.uk/community/batley_schoolboy_with_down_s_syndrome_barred_from_first_holy_communion_1_4157093

2. Has he been baptised?

Hmmm, the Catholic church and rules which include children.....:suspect:

Well the Catholic church has shot itself in the foot with this one, a family friend has Downs Syndrome and is a credit to his parents. He has his own flat, works, and is far more intelligent than some folk that I have encountered.

Shame on them.

If I was of the Roman Catholic faith I would be ashamed.

Wrong on so many levels IMO.. I've met several Down's Syndrome people, in fact a guy with DS became my best mate at College years ago..

Good on you Rich, whenever my wife or I bump into our friend Paul, we always leave him with a smile on our faces, he is an absolute champ. :thumbsup:

What 7 year old does enjoy mass? :hihi:

I know when I was seven, I'd rather have taken a whipping than go to church.

To the Catholic church, these aren't meaninless rules, they're sacraments. I remember being tested by the nuns along with all the other kids to see if we'd memorized the appropriate prayers, and I don't know what would have happened if I hadn't.

That said, this parish needs to make some special allowances for disabled children. I'm surprised they don't already have some sort of program in place, they did when I was growing up.

His parents have to be prepared to participate as well. They can't just start making demands then scream discrimination when they don't get their way.

Good on you Rich, whenever my wife or I bump into our friend Paul, we always leave him with a smile on our faces, he is an absolute champ. :thumbsup:

Hmm, my old mate was called Paul Cartlidge, lives in Stoke on Trent.. It's not him is it?

If I was of the Roman Catholic faith I would be ashamed.

Why? I'm not excluding anyone from anything. This a problem with this one parish, and I'm certain there's more to the story than we're getting.