St Silas church

Can anyone tell me where st Silas church is or was

Many Thanks

Hi there.

St. Silas Church is on Broomhall Street and if you google it you get a good photo.

My parents were married there and I went to have a look. It's not used as a Church now... someone said there was going to be some kind of a youth drop.in centre there... but I think plans have been shelved. If anyone has anymore info I would be interested too. There are some very clever historians/researchers on the forum. Cheers Robin

St. Silas Church, Broomhall, built 1869 closed September 1968. Parish Registers available to view at Sheffield Archives, Shoreham Street.

multiparvo, I attended services and activities in St Silas in the Late eighties... (one of my friends was a parishoner )

It can't be as early as '68 that it closed, surely, cos that'd have made me only four, and I was an adult when i attended.

PT

Sorry PT. What I should have said was Marriage records up to 1.9.1968 at Sheffield Archives.

St. Silas' Church, Hanover Square was buillt in 1867-8 by Mr Henry Wilson at a cost of £8000. It is in a Simple Geometric style with a bold turreted tower. It seats around 800.

My wife attended that church and also took tap-dancing lessons with the vicar's daughter at the vicarage. She thinks the name was something like Postlethwaite. That would be around 1954/5. She also attended St. Silas School.

Jossman,the name you are thinking of was the Rev Haythornthwaite who was there for many years, I lived just up the road on Upper Hanover St,I was in St Silas Cubs and Scouts and some years later my sister was the Akela of the Cub Pack only giving up when she was married and went to live out if town,she had a service of Blessing there, and my late Fathers funeral service was at the Church and my Mother was a helper at the Tueday Club(Senior Citizens)The Vicar in early Sixties was a man called Martin Phillips who pepared my Wife and I for adult confirmation so as you can see St Silas Church features strongly in my memories.

The old Vicarage was closed and the respective Vicars went to live in a smaller property just down from the church

Jossman,the name you are thinking of was the Rev Haythornthwaite who was there for many years, I lived just up the road on Upper Hanover St,I was in St Silas Cubs and Scouts and some years later my sister was the Akela of the Cub Pack only giving up when she was married and went to live out if town,she had a service of Blessing there, and my late Fathers funeral service was at the Church and my Mother was a helper at the Tueday Club(Senior Citizens)The Vicar in early Sixties was a man called Martin Phillips who pepared my Wife and I for adult confirmation so as you can see St Silas Church features strongly in my memories.

The old Vicarage was closed and the respective Vicars went to live in a smaller property just down from the church

Thank you Harlan, my wife paced the floor last night trying to think of the name. It's a senior moment you know.

Thank you Harlan, my wife paced the floor last night trying to think of the name. It's a senior moment you know.

She now remembers the daughters as Anne and Pam/Pat??

my parents were married there 1937 and my brother and myself christend there 38/48 i was born on exeter st we used to climb up over a wall on our st and end up in hanover sq.does anyone remember derby pub lawson st and vauses chip shop and coal yard on lawson st

My wife attended that church and also took tap-dancing lessons with the vicar's daughter at the vicarage. She thinks the name was something like Postlethwaite. That would be around 1954/5. She also attended St. Silas School.

hiya the name was haythornthwaite