Searle's of Neepsend, Sheffield

Just wondered if there were any descendants of the Searle family knocking about and what information they have on the family. I've posted what info I've gathered so far. Must be quite a few knocking about, lots of children! & they seemed to have lived in or around Neepsend, and there was a shop in the family on Parkwood Road for many years.

Children of John Searle & Charlotte Cloney

Background: John Searle, Draper’s assistant, born abt 1810 Dawlish, Devon. Died 25 March 1877,

Charlotte Cloney born abt 1823 Dublin, Ireland. Died 27 August 1875

Francis John Mills Searle

(Brass Founder employing 14 men, Kelly 1893 Directory, Abode Stubbin)

Male

Event(s):

Birth: JAN-MAR 1844, Liverpool. Vol. 20, Page 345.

Christening:

Marriage: OCT-DEC 1865, Elizabeth Townend, Sheffield. Vol. 9c, Page 423.

Child/Children:

Sarah Ann abt 1866, Sheffield.

Augusta Elizabeth, OCT-DEC 1874, Ecclesall B. (Sheffield). Vol. 9c, Page 308.

Albert Edward, JAN-MAR 1877, Ecclesall B. (Sheffield). Vol. 9c, Page 376.

Mildred Lavinia, JUL-SEP 1882, Sheffield. Vol. 9c, Page 460.

Death: APR-JUN 1915, 71 years old. Rotherham. Vol. 9c Page 1016.

Burial:

Parents:

Father: John Searle

Mother: Charlotte Cloney

Ann Caroline Searle

Female

Event(s):

Birth: APR-JUN 1845, Liverpool. Vol. 20, Page 369.

Christening:

Marriage: JAN-MAR 1868, Frank Wever, Sheffield. Vol. 9c, Page 303.

Child/Children:

Hannah Epworth Wever, OCT-DEC 1868, Sheffield. Vol. 9c, Page 423.

Isabella Wever, APR-JUN 1876, Sheffield. Vol. 9c, Page 543.

George Wever, APR-JUN 1879, Sheffield. Vol. 9c, Page 542.

Death: OCT-DEC 1882, 37 years old. Sheffield. Vol. 9c, Page 326.

Burial:

Parents:

Ellen Searle

Female

Event(s):

Birth: OCT-DEC 1846, Liverpool. Vol. 20, Page 362.

Christening:

Marriage:

Child/Children:

Death:

Burial:

Parents:

Charlotte Searle

Male

Event(s):

Birth: 1850, Ireland.

Christening:

Marriage:

Child/Children:

Death: 15 MAY 1853, aged 3+

Burial: St Johns, Park, Sheffield. (More than likely the right one)

Parents:

William Thomas Searle (Dealer in Cutlery)

Male

Event(s):

Birth: JAN-MAR 1852, Sheffield. Vol. 9c Page 209.

Christening:

Marriage: OCT-DEC 1875, Eliza Jebson, Sheffield. Vol. 9c, Page 609.

Child/Children:

Frank Arnold, OCT-DEC 1876, Sheffield. Vol. 9c, Page 435.

Lawrence, JAN-MAR 1878, Sheffield. Vol. 9c, Page 447.

John, OCT-DEC 1886, Ecclesall B. (Sheffield). Vol. 9c, Page 395.

Death:

Burial:

Parents:

Harriette Shepherd Searle

Female

Event(s):

Birth: JAN-MAR 1855, Sheffield. Vol. 9c, Page 331.

Christening:

Marriage: DEC-OCT 1875, Joseph Crawley, Tamworth. Vol. 6b, Page 677.

Child/Children:

Alfred Ernest Crawley, JAN-MAR 1882, Ecclesall B. (Sheffield). Vol. 9c, Page 318.

Henry Hord Crawley, OCT-DEC 1884, Ecclesall B. (Sheffield). Vol. 9c, Page 350.

Joseph Frederick Crawley, OCT-DEC 1888, Sheffield. Vol. 9c, Page 396.

Annie Elizabeth Crawley, JUL-SEP 1890, Sheffield. Vol. 9c, Page 553.

Death:

Burial:

Parents:

Charlotte Knox Cloney Searle

Female

Event(s):

Birth: APR-JUN 1857, Sheffield. Vol. 9c, Page 260.

Christening:

Marriage:

Child/Children:

Death: OCT-DEC 1914, 55 years old. Huddersfield. Vol. 9a, Page 466. (Name on death record is Charlotte K. C. Searle).

Burial:

Parents:

Humphrey Mills Searle

Male

Event(s):

Birth: 25 MAR 1860, Sheffield. Vol. 9c Page 372.

Christening:

Marriage: APR-JUN 1880, Mary Ann Thompson, Sheffield. Vol. 9c, Page 612.

Child/Children:

John Reuben, OCT-DEC 1880, Ecclesall B. (Sheffield). Vol. 9c, Page 308.

Humphrey, JAN-MAR 1883, Ecclesall B. (Sheffield). Vol. 9c, Page 335.

Annie, abt 1886.

Frank, 14 DEC 1890.

Alice, OCT-DEC 1892, Sheffield. Vol. 9c, Page 519.

Lizzie, JAN-MAR 1895, Sheffield. Vol. 9c, Page 608.

Harry, APR-JUN 1897, Sheffield. Vol. 9c, Page 580.

Frances, OCT-DEC 1899, Sheffield. Vol. 9c, Page 612.

Death: OCT-DEC 1933, 73 years old. Sheffield. Vol. 9c, Page 573.

Burial:

Note: Humphrey Mills is staying with his sister in 1901 (Harriett Crawley), census says he’s a widow? There’s a Walter Searle nephew to Harriet aged 12 with him born in Doncaster?

Parents:

Mary Carter Bivens Searle

Female

Event(s):

Birth: JAN-MAR 1864, Sheffield. Vol. 9c Page 415.

Christening:

Marriage: OCT-SEP 1886, Walter Blake, Sheffield. Vol. 9c Page 550.

Child/Children:

Walter Frederick Blake, JAN-MAR 1888,Ecclesall B. (Sheffield). Vol. 9c, Page 322.

Laura E. Blake, abt 1891in Ulster Ireland.

Flora Blake, OCT-DEC 1892, Sheffield. Vol. 9c, Page 490.

Death:

Burial:

Note: Sometime between 1888 and 1893, the family was in Ulster Ireland.

Parents:

Edited by Blade73

My maiden name was Searle. Grandfather's name was Christopher, father's name was Albert (sometimes known to his friends as Mick). We lived on the Manor but I know grandfather was from Hillsborough and that he had quite a few brothers and sisters (two names I remember are Frank who lived at Stannington and Lizzie who lived at Richmond).

My maiden name was Searle. Grandfather's name was Christopher, father's name was Albert (sometimes known to his friends as Mick). We lived on the Manor but I know grandfather was from Hillsborough and that he had quite a few brothers and sisters (two names I remember are Frank who lived at Stannington and Lizzie who lived at Richmond).

My Great Grandmother was Frances Searle she had quite a few brothers and sisters (she was the youngest born 1899). She did have a brother Frank and a sister Lizzie. I don't know much personal i.e. where they lived etc. Frank, Lizzie and Frances's mother was buried at Wardsend cemetery in the 1920s and left the shop she owned on Parkwood Road to Frances.

I'll Pm you to see what else we both know!

Cheers

Andrew

Any other possible descendants out there?

Humphrey Searle br 1883 died 1943 is my great grand-dad. He fathered I think 12 kids by 2 different women, his wife who died in child birth around end of 1st world war & my great grandma Margaret Sharpe nee Quinn(1896-1958?)who he did not marry.

His descendents are Frank,Albert,Mary,Nellie from his wife. With my Great Grandma there was Harry, Bernard(my grand-dad 22/7/22-13/11/96), Ernest,Millie(still alive) & Ken(still alive & living in usa) & Margaret had a son called Jack from her Marriage also.

Gets a bit confusing as some of them are called searle, some called sharpe & some called searle-sharpe.

the family lived on rawson st,hillsborough until at least the late 1950's when margaret died.I understand rawson st was pulled down in the 1960's?.

I can remember my granddad telling me about his grandma having a sweet shop when he was little, this may be the shop on parkwood rd mentioned.

He also used to say that his grand-dad was the game keeper for grounds on where the shirecliffe estate is now. When I checked 1901 census records my great-grand dad humphrey searle was living at home with his mother mary ann searle & there was a male listed at the address as a lodger whose occupation was gamekeeper?

So Humphrey your great grandad is my Great grandmother's (Frances) elder brother!

When Mary Ann Searle/Thompson died in 1927 my Great Grandmother took over the sweet shop it was at 72 Parkwood Road, my Grandad Roy Smith was born there in 1932.

You anymore info or photos mate? I've sent you a PM.

Cheers

Edited by Blade73

I wish I knew what my grandfather's parents were called. I think they must have died before I was born as I can only remember seeing my grandmother's mother once.

Unfortunately the people that I could have asked have all died. I'm going to try asking the rest of the family and see if they know anything - don't hold out much hope as I'm the eldest.

I wish I knew what my grandfather's parents were called. I think they must have died before I was born as I can only remember seeing my grandmother's mother once.

Unfortunately the people that I could have asked have all died. I'm going to try asking the rest of the family and see if they know anything - don't hold out much hope as I'm the eldest.

That's 3 of us now! Be really interesting to see which branch of the Searles you come from. I don't suppose you have your Father's marriage or birth certificate as that will name his father. Out of interest what's your Dad's name and the year he was born? Might be able to track it that way.

Before John and Charlotte Searle arrived in 1861 in Sheffield (He's from Devon, she from Dublin) there were hardly any Searle's in Sheffield, so I'm guessing quite a few Searle's left in Sheffield have some connection to these 2!

Can we get a full sweep a descendant from each of the siblings!

Cheers

Did have a look for my father's birth and marriage certificates. The only one I could find was his death certificate. Dad (Albert) was born in July 1928 and died in October 1984.

That's 3 of us now! Be really interesting to see which branch of the Searles you come from. I don't suppose you have your Father's marriage or birth certificate as that will name his father. Out of interest what's your Dad's name and the year he was born? Might be able to track it that way.

Before John and Charlotte Searle arrived in 1861 in Sheffield (He's from Devon, she from Dublin) there were hardly any Searle's in Sheffield, so I'm guessing quite a few Searle's left in Sheffield have some connection to these 2!

Can we get a full sweep a descendant from each of the siblings!

Cheers

We must be related. My dad's mum was Vera Smith whose Mother is the Frances that owned the sweet shop. Her siblings (from memory) were Roy, Elsie, Joan, Edward (or Teddy) and I think one more. Teddy was my Dad's best man at his wedding and I have a photo of the two of them together. Dad and his mum and gran Frances were in 72 Parkwood road at the time it was bombed. I have other stories too. Do you have anything that you can share?

We must be related. My dad's mum was Vera Smith whose Mother is the Frances that owned the sweet shop. Her siblings (from memory) were Roy, Elsie, Joan, Edward (or Teddy) and I think one more. Teddy was my Dad's best man at his wedding and I have a photo of the two of them together. Dad and his mum and gran Frances were in 72 Parkwood road at the time it was bombed. I have other stories too. Do you have anything that you can share?

Hello, I've just dropped you a private message, hopefully hear from you.

Would Gilbert and Kate Searle of 154 Wallace Road, Parkwood Springs be related? They had a son, also called Gilbert. It was the family that George Orwell, known to them as Eric Blair, lodged with in March 1936 when he was researching "Road To Wigan Pier".