Motorcycle brake drum need skimming

Are there any engineers in sheffield who could skim my motor brake drum whilst attached to the wheel. seen this done a on a horizontal lathe. cannot remove the drum as after restocking the wheel would affect the shape of the drum.

Thanks

It will help prospective offers if you put the outside diameter of the rim, at around 16 inch it will be a borderline diameter for the average workshop lathe.

A milling machine should be good option if someone wanted to have a go like this

a little mickey mouse but apparently effective.

It will help prospective offers if you put the outside diameter of the rim, at around 16 inch it will be a borderline diameter for the average workshop lathe.

A milling machine should be good option if someone wanted to have a go like this

a little mickey mouse but apparently effective.

Blimey that bloke's made a lot more work for himself than it needs to be!

Why not do away with the extra motor/brackets/belt and just use an endmill at full depth, actually turn the spindle on and then rotate the wheel by hand?

Edited by RootsBooster

Thanks for linking to my video, hope some have found it useful. I did try turning the wheel while running a long series end mill in the spindle some years ago but the results were not always very good, and sometimes disastrous! Because the drum is turning on it's own bearings and not brilliantly supported, you get chatter or worst case digging in and a ruined drum, been there, done that! The method you see gives the most consistent results for me, not always a fantastic finish admittedly, but concentric and true. I have done a lot of drums by this method (hand and power driven) over the years. Regards, Ade, AG Engineering.

Welcome to the SF, it is a nice bit of ingenering i liked it.

The load from the belt will preload the bearings in the same direction as the cutting tool force making it more solid, only thing upset my ocd was the stapled belt, i didn't like the clacking noise it made as i went around :shocked:, i would have preferred one with a bonded joint :nod:.

I didn't expect the youtube poster to be reading my SF post, glad i didn't say anything too bad :)

I appreciate the op didn't get any help from here but it's always nice when posters looking for help post there solution for future searchers that drop on the thread by google. The number of times i have googled for a solution to a problem only to go through tons of threads asking the same question with no solution it's enough to drive a man to drink.

Thanks, I stumbled across the post completely by accident, really just wanted to say thanks for watching and dropping the link here. I shouldn't really be on here 'cos i'm not from Sheffield! The daughter lives in Yorkshire though, so there's a tenuous link ....I'll be having a read through to see what it's all about. Best wishes, Ade

On 08/08/2018 at 17:42, Ade G said:

Thanks, I stumbled across the post completely by accident, really just wanted to say thanks for watching and dropping the link here. I shouldn't really be on here 'cos i'm not from Sheffield! The daughter lives in Yorkshire though, so there's a tenuous link ....I'll be having a read through to see what it's all about. Best wishes, Ade

Hello Ade,

is this a service that you offer commercially?

regards

Nigel