Creating a bootable USB drive of linux ISO, on a mac.

I'm on a Mac. Just downloaded version of linux to install on a lappy. I have a blank USB drive. How do I get the ISO on the USB, so that it's bootable.

Thanks.

---------- Post added 18-04-2018 at 00:24 ----------

All done now. Nice fresh install of Linux Mint on my lappy, on a SSD. Looks great.

Mods, can delete thread if you like. :)

Thanks chaps. I used something called Etcher in the end, worked just fine.

Also went in to bios, and switched to legacy boot mode (so, not EFI). I was using EFI previously, with the HDD I had Windows 10 and Ubuntu dual booting from, so didn't want to change any EFI settings in the bios, incase I want to put that HDD back in my lappy to run Windows 10 or Ubuntu. I'm thinking the bios will remember by EFI settings?

I stopped using unetbootin when it took 20 minutes creating an ISO only to be told at the end that it (the distro) was "not currently supported by unetbootin". I tried Etcher with Zorin and it got nowhere fast. 'Rufus' gets good reviews but never tried it. My favourite requires GNU/Linux, a great French invention, MultiSystem which comes with portable versions of Qemu and Vbox to test the created iso's (My 32 Gb stick has about 8 distros on it. Going back to SSD you would be better deploying EFI in your GNU/Linux and using GPT instead of mbr, and you need to modify the fstab when using SSD as GNU/Linux does not have the built in 'trim' function that Windows has. ;)

Not sure I understood all that. :(

Is there something I should do to optimise SSD use? Is that possible to do without fiddling around with boot / EFI stuff?

All I can advise is to refer to those links I posted earlier which explains things - will put another link I posted on Zorin forum a few weeks back if different regarding 'trim'. ;)

Link from this Zorin post I made:

https://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13610&hilit=+ssd#p59522

Ah yeah, sorry, I must be going blind! Will check out links in morning, ta.

Just to add, that's why I haven't migrated to SSD on any system I have built. ;)

Footnote on MultiSystem: Just to add that you can drag and drop an iso to add to memory stick, and if not supported you are told instantly - not 20 minutes later after 'selecting' iso file as you would in unetbootin. ;)

Before I forget you might find this guide I uploaded useful on installing to a Mac:

https://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12621&hilit=+mac+install

Edited by swarfendor43

Just to add, that's why I haven't migrated to SSD on any system I have built. ;)

Footnote on MultiSystem: Just to add that you can drag and drop an iso to add to memory stick, and if not supported you are told instantly - not 20 minutes later after 'selecting' iso file as you would in unetbootin. ;)

Before I forget you might find this guide I uploaded useful on installing to a Mac:

https://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12621&hilit=+mac+install

Thanks swarfendor.

Do people install Linux on Macs? Seems a bit crazy, well, not cost effective, given the price of Apple hardware?

Also, you've got me wondering about the wisdom of using a SSD with Linux Mint (also, and does it matter which flavour of Linux you use with a SSD?). How big of an issue is it? I've been using a SSD with a Mac for years and had zero problems, and I use it a lot, everyday.

So, I'm just using SSD with Mint, but anticipating that it may go kaput at any moment, so any sensitive important userdata, I'll not keep soley on the SSD. That way if it goes kaput, I can just reinstall on another SSD or HDD.

Just so long as I've made the optimizations for Mint on a SSD, and keep in mind there's a slim chance the SSD may go kaput, all good to go?

Hi, the point I was making you have to setup Cron in fstab (something I am totally illiterate about) in order to keep the SSD healthy - Windows does this automatically so no need to tinker - I don't know about Macs. Any way, any distribution that has EFI support should be okay and you then use GPT instead of mbr. EFI Compliant distros include Ubuntu, Fedora, (Mint I think but you need to check), and of course Zorin.

It may surprise you to know that over a Million downloads of ZorinOS 12.x were in the majority from Windows and Mac Users:

https://zoringroup.com/blog/2017/11/01/one-million-downloads-for-zorin-os-12/

ZorinOS 12 is the first LTS that is a rolling release. I am currently trying out Lite, which is fast but has some issues (like Chromium freezing - ditched for Firefox) and Geary won't enable weblinks to be shared (ditched for Thunderbird), and LibreOffice is saving to /home instead of /home/Documents! Once I have 'completed' the Lite "unofficial' Manual (my next project) I will be going to a fresh install of Zorin 12.3 64-bit Ultimate. Whatever GNU/Linux you choose, enjoy!

The fundamentals are that Wiindows and OSX are licenced software - you never own the OS whereas you do with GNU/Linux - it is yours to keep and share with others on the understanding that you make no modifications to the redistributed copy of the original OS.

;)

Footnote: A school in Vicenza Italy needed to upgrade it's Suite of computers - a volunteer parent helped install ZorinOS 12 across the whole school, and now the municipality of Vicenza is now a ZorinOS zone in it's entirety!

Latest news here: https://zoringroup.com/blog/2018/03/15/zorin-os-12-3-released-a-stronger-more-versatile-system/ - Now robust in respect of Meltdown and Spectre!

Edited by swarfendor43