Good areas in east Sheffield

Apologies if this has been discussed here before. I saw some very old threads, but nothing in recent time.

I have a new job in Doncaster, so moving from West Midlands. I have no idea about these areas. Heard a lot about Sheffield being a ‘dynamic’ city. So far what I can gather, south west part of Sheffield is the place to be. But that doesn’t really work for me. Firstly houses are way too expensive and I would like to keep my commute to 30 minutes. So looking at East part of Sheffield close to M1/M18.

Looking for some expert advice on what are areas I should consider.

Apart from a friendly community, I would like to be close to a decent leisure centre. No kids yet but will have to think about schools etc. In 5-6 years time :o

Ideally I will be looking to buy 3-4 bed detach in a semi rural area.

Please help!:)

Edited by _ray_

Is there any reason why you want to live in Sheffield? As you want semi rural, you might struggle to find anything suitable. Rotherham has plenty of areas in this category, closer to Doncaster, less congested traffic wise and house prices tend to be lower than Sheffield. Doncaster itself is quite rural on the outskirts and has some nice areas.

Edited by Jomie

Have a nosey at Barlborough. 5-10 mins from M1 Junction 30. Some parts semi rural - there's a huge new-build estate and then a more village-type part, the latter I'd suggest more suited to your needs.

Rich

Wickersley is nice and has a reasonably good school. Bramley, next door and on J1 of the M18 is more affordable. We lived there for a number of years when I worked in Brightside, very convenient. I also used to go to college in Doncaster from there, no problem.

Wickersley, Bramley, Hellaby, Ravenfield, Brecks, Whiston, Maltby (certain parts) are all nice places in Rotherham, within easy reach of Doncaster. Plus, you have a number of different ways to get there, so if there's an issue on the motorway, you can go the back way via Micklebring or Conisbrough.

Thanks for the comments. @Jomie, I was told that Sheffield is probably the best place to live in South Yorkshire. Also I’m hoping that it will be easier for my gf to find a suitable job in Sheffield.

There seems to be significant difference in house prices between Wickersley village and other nearby villages. Why?

Any suggestions on Woodhouse mill, Killamarsh, Beighton areas!

Near Doncaster, read about Bawtry and Tickhill are nice, anything else?

Cheers

What does 'dynamic city' mean? If you like entertainment, being near the city centre has it's advantages but you asked for a semi rural area. Usually these are outside the city with fewer things to do.

A good bus service into the city might be useful for your girlfriend's future employment. Traffic congestion in Sheffield can be appalling, particularly at peak times. Some of the aforementioned areas of Rotherham i.e. Brecks, Wickersley, Bramley, Maltby are served by the X1 Steel Link bus service. Doncaster would be about 20 minutes in a car. Conisborough is in Doncaster and also has a bus service into Sheffield. If you want access to entertainment etc, Treeton in Rotherham is closer to Sheffield and could be described as semi rural. M1 Catcliffe is nearby, then M18 to Doncaster.

As you don't know South Yorkshire and your girlfriend's employment is not fixed, renting might be the best option for now.

Edited by Jomie

We’re not going out types and both appreciate quiet and sorted neighbourhood. I will consider all aforementioned areas in my search and yes, I’ll be renting to begin with. All these are real good information, which will help me with my move.

Thanks

Kilnhurst and Swinton are in Rotherham. Mexborough is in Doncaster but all could possibly meet your commute criteria and have some nice areas. If your girlfriend does find work in Sheffield she could easily use the train as there is a railway station close by.

Thanks for the comments. @Jomie, I was told that Sheffield is probably the best place to live in South Yorkshire. Also I’m hoping that it will be easier for my gf to find a suitable job in Sheffield.

There seems to be significant difference in house prices between Wickersley village and other nearby villages. Why?

Cheers

Killamarsh is fine. Pretty quiet, easy to get to the motorway and a bus about every ten minutes to take her to the tram stop at halfway. I've lived there for a few years and can't complain.

However, unless there is a job sector that Sheffield has significantly more of than Doncaster, I'd move closer to donny and see if the GF can get a job there. Tickhill and bawtry btw have more going for them than t'marsh! Dearer too.

Cheers

I live at Woodhouse Mill, love it. Handsworth & Woodhouse Mill have got a village feel (in my opinion).

Wickersley is dearer because there's a lot of ten Bob millionaires who live there, but there's also a few pubs, restaurants, shops and bars all within walking distance.

You'll definitely get more for your money renting or buying in the likes of Maltby or Bramley than you will at Wickersley.

Tickhill and Bawtry are nice, but you may also find they're quite desirable, like Wickersley, so the house prices are dearer.

Travel to Sheffield isn't bad at all on public transport, someone mentioned the X1 bus - you can be in town from Wickersley in 10-15 mins, then a short train ride to Sheffield. Or, if she drives, straight down the motorway on to the parkway.