Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Tesco crosspool

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
05-07-2016, 21:03   #1
carol1962
Registered User
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: on the sofa with the dog
Total Posts: 83
What do people think of the new tesco express on Manchester Rd ? Good idea or not. Personally I think it's brilliant.;🙌🙌
  Reply With Quote
05-07-2016, 21:37   #2
makapaka
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Total Posts: 3,839
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol1962 View Post
What do people think of the new tesco express on Manchester Rd ? Good idea or not. Personally I think it's brilliant.;🙌🙌
Went in earlier. Is what it is. Will hurt the spar but that's not a bad thing cos it's generally rubbish.

Worry a bit about the butchers and veg shop as you would imagine they will get a down turn they can't soak up like spar can.

My suggestion to all would be by all means use the Tesco but don't forget about the local businesses cos once they're gone they won't be coming back.
  Reply With Quote
05-07-2016, 22:01   #3
S1 1DJ
Account Closed
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: All over the place
Total Posts: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by carol1962 View Post
What do people think of the new tesco express on Manchester Rd ? Good idea or not. Personally I think it's brilliant.;🙌🙌
Only thing I've heard is "unexpected item in bagging area"
  Reply With Quote
05-07-2016, 22:47   #4
Daven
Registered User
Daven's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: far far away
Total Posts: 10,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1 1DJ View Post
Only thing I've heard is "unexpected item in bagging area"
We've all experienced that Im sure - there is nothing worse than having a surprise in the 'bagging area'
_______
My lovely Mum who lived with Alzheimers Disease for 9 years
RIP 15/3/18
A true lady passed this way.
  Reply With Quote
05-07-2016, 22:50   #5
sibon
Attraction
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Going, going, gone
Total Posts: 19,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by makapaka View Post
Went in earlier. Is what it is. Will hurt the spar but that's not a bad thing cos it's generally rubbish.

Worry a bit about the butchers and veg shop as you would imagine they will get a down turn they can't soak up like spar can.

My suggestion to all would be by all means use the Tesco but don't forget about the local businesses cos once they're gone they won't be coming back.
Broomhill has a Tesco, a Sainsburys and a Morrisons. It also has an excellent butcher and greengrocer.

There is room for both.
  Reply With Quote
05-07-2016, 22:53   #6
*_ash_*
formerly djash1000
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Total Posts: 16,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibon View Post
Broomhill has a Tesco, a Sainsburys and a Morrisons. It also has an excellent butcher and greengrocer.

There is room for both.
If Broomhill independents can survive, then Crosspool's should. Though it's not quite as busy of course, parking is far less problematic than in Broomhill. That's a good advantage for a start.

I already said in the other thread, and agree with the above poster, Spar will probably struggle.
_______
13640 170115 0237(p) 13772 140315 2137(f) 13812 070415 2359(f) 16515 080717 1233 (done); 260318 - this time
  Reply With Quote
05-07-2016, 22:55   #7
sibon
Attraction
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Going, going, gone
Total Posts: 19,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by *_ash_* View Post
If Broomhill independents can survive, then Crosspool's should. Though it's not quite as busy of course, parking is far less problematic than in Broomhill. That's a good advantage for a start.

I already said in the other thread, and agree with the above poster, Spar will probably struggle.
The butcher in Crosspool should have no problem. The fruit and veg shop might have to up their game a bit.
  Reply With Quote
05-07-2016, 22:58   #8
*_ash_*
formerly djash1000
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Total Posts: 16,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibon View Post
The butcher in Crosspool should have no problem. The fruit and veg shop might have to up their game a bit.
I don't know it, but if it's a good butchers (which your post suggests), then it will have no problems, parking/Tesco or not.

Definitely more dangerous for a fruit and veg shop, because supermarkets sell adequate/above adequate fruitnveg these days.
_______
13640 170115 0237(p) 13772 140315 2137(f) 13812 070415 2359(f) 16515 080717 1233 (done); 260318 - this time
  Reply With Quote
05-07-2016, 23:14   #9
Colin Foster
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2006
Total Posts: 506
Status: Online
Got a free bag for life as well
  Reply With Quote
07-07-2016, 13:32   #10
hyper
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: another planet
Total Posts: 1,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibon View Post
Broomhill has a Tesco, a Sainsburys and a Morrisons. It also has an excellent butcher and greengrocer.

There is room for both.
Broomhill also has a healthy student population as well as hospital and university workers in the area. Crosspool doesn't - it's mainly a middle class residents area who will either (a) shop at Tesco cos its cheap/convenient or (b) support local traders. Few will do both
  Reply With Quote
07-07-2016, 14:37   #11
Lurgh Mor
Registered User
Lurgh Mor's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2016
Total Posts: 309
Tesco Express is not "cheap". The brand is for convenience. Tesco Extra stores carry the "value" brands. I have experience of this when the Tesco-previously The Beehive on Dykes Hall Rd - changed to an Express from a Metro. Worth checking the Wiki entry which nicely explains the different store types.
  Reply With Quote
07-07-2016, 14:41   #12
Alan Hartley
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2013
Location: Nowhere, fast.
Total Posts: 4,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurgh Mor View Post
Worth checking the Wiki entry which nicely explains the different store types.
Is it really worth it, really??

  Reply With Quote
07-07-2016, 14:51   #13
Lurgh Mor
Registered User
Lurgh Mor's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2016
Total Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Hartley View Post
Is it really worth it, really??

Well yes,Alan, it is. The more knowledge one can gain regarding retail development then perhaps we can have fewer threads discussing retail trends with anecdotal comments and views which have no basis in fact.
(And l did see your wee emoticon which suggests your comment is just a jokey aside. I think learning more about the structure of the U.K.'s largest retailer is a must read for all. It should be part of the National Curriculum!)
  Reply With Quote
07-07-2016, 15:56   #14
hyper
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: another planet
Total Posts: 1,548
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurgh Mor View Post
Well yes,Alan, it is. The more knowledge one can gain regarding retail development then perhaps we can have fewer threads discussing retail trends with anecdotal comments and views which have no basis in fact.
(And l did see your wee emoticon which suggests your comment is just a jokey aside. I think learning more about the structure of the U.K.'s largest retailer is a must read for all. It should be part of the National Curriculum!)
didn't know we had to get it spot-on to make a comment. Remember no one has all the facts, so us (the ordinary forum punter) rely on heresay/perception/ideas etc to form opinions. It's how normal discussions go ... sometimes those opinions are wrong, sometimes they're right, but preventing posts and trying to save forum space because it's not been over-analysed, will eventually kill the forum.
But just to defend myself here, I'll bet the Crosspool Tesco will be far cheaper than the butcher and greengrocer that have been mentioned. And you yourself mention "convenience", as do I, so I cant be all wrong
  Reply With Quote
07-07-2016, 18:59   #15
watchcoll
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: sheffield
Total Posts: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurgh Mor View Post
Tesco Express is not "cheap". The brand is for convenience. Tesco Extra stores carry the "value" brands. I have experience of this when the Tesco-previously The Beehive on Dykes Hall Rd - changed to an Express from a Metro. Worth checking the Wiki entry which nicely explains the different store types.
Dykes Hall tesco has never been a metro. It's been an express store since the day it opened - i know the manager who opened the store! The expresses are more expensive than the larger stores, though.
  Reply With Quote
07-07-2016, 19:12   #16
scargill
Registered User
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Land of Nod
Total Posts: 1,952
Who designed the car park? Two banks of cars at right angles, one of these banks potentially reversing towards the store entrance, an accident waiting to happen.
  Reply With Quote
07-07-2016, 20:04   #17
LeeJH35
Registered User
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Total Posts: 3
how many mini super markets do we need ?
  Reply With Quote
07-07-2016, 23:24   #18
*_ash_*
formerly djash1000
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Total Posts: 16,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper View Post
Broomhill also has a healthy student population as well as hospital and university workers in the area. Crosspool doesn't - it's mainly a middle class residents area who will either (a) shop at Tesco cos its cheap/convenient or (b) support local traders. Few will do both
For most items, then perhaps no hyper, which was why I mentioned the F&V potential problem, that will require loyalty over anything.

However, meat is something that people (esp. in this type of area) will prefer to buy locally if it's good. These 'locals supermarkets' as convenient and high quality as they may try to be, still can't compare with many butchers with good reputations*.


Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurgh Mor View Post
Tesco Express is not "cheap". The brand is for convenience. Tesco Extra stores carry the "value" brands. I have experience of this when the Tesco-previously The Beehive on Dykes Hall Rd - changed to an Express from a Metro. Worth checking the Wiki entry which nicely explains the different store types.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurgh Mor View Post
Well yes,Alan, it is. The more knowledge one can gain regarding retail development then perhaps we can have fewer threads discussing retail trends with anecdotal comments and views which have no basis in fact.
(And l did see your wee emoticon which suggests your comment is just a jokey aside. I think learning more about the structure of the U.K.'s largest retailer is a must read for all. It should be part of the National Curriculum!)

-

You've almost answered you own point here. It could be part of the curriculum to see how companies [like this] work, but most still don't care, that why they shop with companies like this, and buy iPhones and VodaPhones, and the answer was in the top bit - convenience.


-



*perhaps when people have completely given in on caring about anything useful to society - which can't be far off - independents might stay running if communities insist on local companies are integrated INTO these things, rather than excluded. Rather like I've noticed recently PO's merging into local shops to save on money.
_______
13640 170115 0237(p) 13772 140315 2137(f) 13812 070415 2359(f) 16515 080717 1233 (done); 260318 - this time
  Reply With Quote
08-07-2016, 08:51   #19
onlineo
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Sheffield
Total Posts: 421
Car park is poor, the finish of the stonework is poor, the prices are high, the shop is smaller than it could have been. It is still better than the local spar. However I live inbetween crookes shops and crosspool shops so I will continue to shop in Crookes as the Local Sainsburys and the local Co-op are both significantly better than this Tesco.
With 9 car parking spaces and road space for a few more this Tesco will do well.
  Reply With Quote
08-07-2016, 10:54   #20
*_ash_*
formerly djash1000
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Total Posts: 16,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by onlineo View Post
Car park is poor, the finish of the stonework is poor, the prices are high, the shop is smaller than it could have been. It is still better than the local spar. However I live inbetween crookes shops and crosspool shops so I will continue to shop in Crookes as the Local Sainsburys and the local Co-op are both significantly better than this Tesco.
With 9 car parking spaces and road space for a few more this Tesco will do well.
I think Sainsbury's have upped their game in the last few years, especially staff with tills/queueing. The smaller new Tescos are dreadful. I went in the one on Sharrow Lane and it was the scruffiest dump I've been in in ages. The one at Fulwood isn't much better and unless absolutely desperate for fuel I don't go in there either.
_______
13640 170115 0237(p) 13772 140315 2137(f) 13812 070415 2359(f) 16515 080717 1233 (done); 260318 - this time
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:15.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2017 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2018