Hi - Scout Archivist here

Hi

I'm new to the forum and am a voluntary Archivist working on the Sheffield Scout Archives. Working through the enormous amount of material that we have (100 years' worth) we are finding a lot of questions that we cannot answer (not necessarily about Scouting). I'm hoping that Forum members might be able to help.

Hi,

According to Sheffield Scout Archives (where I am a volunteer archivist), during the period 1928-1942, the 171st Sheffield (Tinsley Park) Scout Group met at "King Arthur's Hall". Googling finds nothing. Can anyone shed any light on the location. I suspect that it was more likely to be a shed or hut or temporary structure rather than brick built.

(Whilst it was in a mining area and had pit headgear on its neckerchief, it's a bit early to be named after an 80s miner's leader!)

Thanks

I'm just wondering whether the Sheffield Scouts ever went down to Brownsea Island, Poole Harbour? A superb nature reserve and where Baden Powell set up his first scout camp.

Hi

Thanks for the question.

From personal knowledge the island was in various private hands up until the 1960s. So other than the original camp, scouts did not camp there.

There is no official Scout campsite on the island, only a National Trust one.

Sheffield Scouts as a whole have never formally visited but individual Scouts and Groups probably have.

Sorry - that's the best I can do.

I was a member of 76th Sheffield (All Saints) Scouts from 1948 to 1954. Only just read your query but maybe able to help with any information you may require.

Hi, just seen you thread re Sheffield scouts. I now live in South Africa, but was in the scouts in Sheffield in the 1940/50's after WW2.

Our HQ was a long wooden hut by the side of the river in the Heeley/Meersbrook area, near the Heeley allotments. We used to have a yearly camp at Filey on the Yorkshire coast.

At my age 80 I am surprised I even remember that.

Cheers & Beers, and Rib,Dib,Dib. from Darkest Africa,Hi,HI.

Regards Peter.

Thanks for the recent messages.

We now have a website up and running. Due to my lack of posts, I blocked from including a link but if you google "Sheffield Scout Archives" you will find it.

Andrew

---------- Post added 29-03-2018 at 09:15 ----------

Hi, just seen you thread re Sheffield scouts. I now live in South Africa, but was in the scouts in Sheffield in the 1940/50's after WW2.

Our HQ was a long wooden hut by the side of the river in the Heeley/Meersbrook area, near the Heeley allotments. We used to have a yearly camp at Filey on the Yorkshire coast.

Regards Peter.

Thanks Peter.

I'm going to pass on your message to one of my colleagues and we may be able to shed a little more light on which Troop you were in etc.

Andrew

Thanks for the recent messages.

We now have a website up and running. Due to my lack of posts, I blocked from including a link but if you google "Sheffield Scout Archives" you will find it.

Andrew

---------- Post added 29-03-2018 at 09:15 ----------

Thanks Peter.

I'm going to pass on your message to one of my colleagues and we may be able to shed a little more light on which Troop you were in etc.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew, but don't bother to answer. I only remarked, and added my little bit of Scouting info. regards, Peter.

Weve got a ''Boy Scouts' Note Book and Diary for 1932''

It belonged to a Second Sixer called Harry Hughes, of Gray Patrol Stocksbridge Group.

Its quite worn and fragile but fascinating to read the content. Some of the First Aid advice was quite scary!

I have a commemorative Scout mug from 1957, (handle missing) with a rose on it with " 1857 - 1907 - 1957" on it that you can have if you want it for the archive. My husbands father was a Badge officer for the Scouts for many years. I live in Walkley now. Any interest? On the other side of the mug it says "Sutton Coldfield"

Regards Peter.

Hi Peter,

That particular scout group was 74th. Oak Street which met in the long hut by the side of the river off Rushdale Terrace Meersbrook. I was in the cubs first then this group in 1958.

The cub leader was "Ivan" and the scout leader was George Bunting.

Duffems

Hi

I'm new to the forum and am a voluntary Archivist working on the Sheffield Scout Archives. Working through the enormous amount of material that we have (100 years' worth) we are finding a lot of questions that we cannot answer (not necessarily about Scouting). I'm hoping that Forum members might be able to help.

Hi sheffscouts I was in the 141st Carbrook scout troop in the sixties we held our meetings in a church called st bartholemews on Attercliffe common knocked down now hope this helps