Oborne Street Pitsmoor

I think google maps have got it wrong because it think Oborne street is the one with the barrier up a little closer down,opposite Pye Bank road.

I think google maps have got it wrong because it think Oborne street is the one with the barrier up a little closer down,opposite Pye Bank road.

the short bit of fox st in front of the old highway site is also marked wrong

The "Oborne Street" on the google map is or was actually Railway Street. Oborne Street ran from Marcus Street. (no longer on the map) down to Railway Street. (marked oborne Street on the map) Marcus Street ran between Rock Street and Brunswick Road. The latter also known locally as "Champs Hill"

Spot on PB.You brought it all back to me.

All that as it may be but why is a demolished street still marked on the maps as a street? My father in law was born and brought up on Edgar Street which is also long gone and accordingly is not featured on Google maps.

All that as it may be but why is a demolished street still marked on the maps as a street? .

You will have to ask Google.

Thanks for the map - there were a lot more streets there then than there are now!

I see Picture Sheffield has several photos from the area taken mostly in 1959. Was this around the time this area was redeveloped, as the houses that stand on the site now don't look that old...

isnt that where the Wembley was on oborne street, my memory is fading a bit though.

I've seen someone mention the wembley on another forum - don't know what it was though - football field I guess?

isnt that where the Wembley was on oborne street, my memory is fading a bit though.

Yes, that's where it was, there was another similar play ground on Sutherland road and I believe the locals used to call that Wembley also. I don't know where the name "Wembley" comes from, maybe some one on here can explain...