Sheffield Tourist office to be turned into football hub - too late?

That building is only about 10 meters square

The Plough, opposite Hallam FC, would be a much better location for something like this, seeing as that is actually the birthplace of football (where the rules were first written down and next to the oldest ground in the world).

Sure I've previously read that the laws (Sheffield Laws) of football were drawn up at the old Adelphi Hotel in the city centre, where The Crucible now stands?

---------- Post added 07-04-2018 at 13:49 ----------

As for a decent spot for a tourist information centre, the old JD Sports shop on Pinstone St would be ideal or one of the many empty shop units dotted about town.

Sure I've previously read that the laws (Sheffield Laws) of football were drawn up at the old Adelphi Hotel in the city centre, where The Crucible now stands?

---------- Post added 07-04-2018 at 13:49 ----------

In a couple of weeks- there is a Sheffield Home of Football walking tour.

I can't link as I don't have enough posts

There is also an app for a guided 4.7 mile walk round football heritage sites in the city. Personally, I think this and the new shop are great ideas. We should shout loud and proud about this region's football heritage. Hopefully, Sheffield FC will be able to make the move back into the city and become a focus for football tourism.

There are plans to turn the now closed Sheffield Tourist Centre into a football hub, with United, Wednesday, Sheffield FC and Hallam FC joining forces to work on a project designed to make the birthplace of the game a football tourist centre.

Great idea etc etc, but isn't this typical Sheffield? Much as I love the place, I'm astounded that it has never made much of its unique position as the home of the world's most popular game, and has let places like Manchester build a major Football Museum and steal a march on us. Yet again.

Manchester will have the museum. We will likely get a small shop full of those fake replica Sheffield FC shirts from that shop that went bust after only a few months near Hunters Bar.

Twas ever thus . . .

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/exciting-plans-emerge-for-old-sheffield-tourist-office-1-9101664

Neither fake nor gone bust, but never let facts get in the way.

---------- Post added 12-04-2018 at 12:49 ----------

that tourist information kiosk in Surrey street was a bit useless.

When it was open, I’d pop in and see what events were taking place in around our great city of Sheffield.

But whose stupid idea was it to close for 30 minutes for lunch everyday, when most people would be walking past?

Typical Sheffield :roll:

There are no toilets in the place, so I guess if you only have one person, then you need to shut at some point, and that person also needs a lunch break.

No storage either, so not much use as a shop.

that tourist information kiosk in Surrey street was a bit useless.

When it was open, I’d pop in and see what events were taking place in around our great city of Sheffield.

But whose stupid idea was it to close for 30 minutes for lunch everyday, when most people would be walking past?

Typical Sheffield :roll:

Being from Sheffield, I've never felt the need to use the tourist information office but I'm wondering what their response would be to someone asking "What do you recommend I do during my short stay in Sheffield?"

"Well you could go visit Derbyshire or jump on a train for a day out in Manchester!"

Guest makapaka
Being from Sheffield, I've never felt the need to use the tourist information office but I'm wondering what their response would be to someone asking "What do you recommend I do during my short stay in Sheffield?"

"Well you could go visit Derbyshire or jump on a train for a day out in Manchester!"

Or you could advise them to go to one of the hundreds of visitor attractions in Sheffield instead.

Or you could advise them to go to one of the hundreds of visitor attractions in Sheffield instead.

What would you reccomend? For realsies, I go to sheffield once in blue moon.

Weston Park museum , Botanical Gardens ,Winter Gardens and the Big Wheel in a few weeks time to name but a few .Oh and the tree cutting

Weston Park museum , Botanical Gardens ,Winter Gardens and the Big Wheel in a few weeks time to name but a few .Oh and the tree cutting

last time I went to Weston Park Museum it appeard to have turned into a creche..

And your suggestions are?

---------- Post added 12-04-2018 at 15:51 ----------

Roll up, roll up! Ride on our big wheel & view from on high our empty retail units; traffic congestion; beggars & chuggers. See the city's last tree & where our airport & athletics stadium once stood.

Link to this thread has been posted in another thread.

My mind is playing tricks on me. I remember this building being empty for years quite recently, but seems the "tourist office" only closed last autumn. How long was it actually a "tourist office" for?

Edited by EmmaJones76

Having a city tourist office .. people can find and or contact throughout the day and early evening does seem to be a much better idea that having something football related when both of the only just significant football teams have their own facilities and methods of self promotion.