New drinking dens!

This application is for Stokes but not on Abbeydale Road.

I thought the one on Abbeydale Rd was Stokes paints? The one mentioned in the OP is Stokes tiles?

Sorry if Ive misread.

I thought the one on Abbeydale Rd was Stokes paints? The one mentioned in the OP is Stokes tiles?

Sorry if Ive misread.

Could easily be both I suppose or maybe the person who told me about Stokes paint got her wires crossed.

I can sniff a pedant in the air.

Anyhow...

I look forward to Stokes Tiles, or Stokes Paints, becoming a bar. I trust we shall hear further about it, in these hallowed columns, nearer the time.

Strange times we live in though, when pubs are turning into Premier Foodstores or Indian restaurants, and DIY shops are turning into pubs.:huh:

Guest makapaka
I can sniff a pedant in the air.

Anyhow...

I look forward to Stokes Tiles, or Stokes Paints, becoming a bar. I trust we shall hear further about it, in these hallowed columns, nearer the time.

Strange times we live in though, when pubs are turning into Premier Foodstores or Indian restaurants, and DIY shops are turning into pubs.:huh:

Totally agree.

I was sat in a former corner shop having a beer on south road looking directly across the road at a pub (still complete with pub sign) which is now someone’s flat.

Totally agree.

I was sat in a former corner shop having a beer on south road looking directly across the road at a pub (still complete with pub sign) which is now someone’s flat.

I often drink in there, we'll have to wear red carnations to recognise each other.

Strange times we live in though, when pubs are turning into Premier Foodstores or Indian restaurants, and DIY shops are turning into pubs.

Often the previous owners or the freeholder of the land can raise objections. The reopening of The Blake years back hit trouble because Enterprise Inns raised (unfair) objections that the plan to reopen the place breached a covenant in the title deeds. Thankfully that was overcome with an epiphany of common sense.

Also, those interested in opening and running a pub will be happy to do so if the costs are lower across the road. Many will take that option over the often far more costly option of restoring old pubs, as it also gives them carte blanche to decorate the place however they desire (often to our detriment :|).

As long as pub owners learn to give their new pub character and identity, steer clear of obviously dodgy trends (the kind that London got sick of 10 years ago) and make a homely place to be in, frankly I don't care whether they take over a brothel or pointlessly set up next door to a boarded up pub. The quality of the place itself is what matters. Restoration jobs are nice but having a good pub of any kind on the corner of your street is the main thing.

Often the previous owners or the freeholder of the land can raise objections. The reopening of The Blake years back hit trouble because Enterprise Inns raised (unfair) objections that the plan to reopen the place breached a covenant in the title deeds. Thankfully that was overcome with an epiphany of common sense.

Also, those interested in opening and running a pub will be happy to do so if the costs are lower across the road. Many will take that option over the often far more costly option of restoring old pubs, as it also gives them carte blanche to decorate the place however they desire (often to our detriment :|).

As long as pub owners learn to give their new pub character and identity, steer clear of obviously dodgy trends (the kind that London got sick of 10 years ago) and make a homely place to be in, frankly I don't care whether they take over a brothel or pointlessly set up next door to a boarded up pub. The quality of the place itself is what matters. Restoration jobs are nice but having a good pub of any kind on the corner of your street is the main thing.

Modern day guide to fitting out a pub:

1) Paint it that odd browny/grey colour - let's call it 'greige'

2) Rename it something that it used to be called years ago, but in a modern, quirky font

3) Remove all soft furnishings and replace with mismatched dining / school tables and chairs

4) Achieve an industrial / recylcled look with copious quantities of reclained timber / masonry

5) Put on a range of 'craft' beer that almost certainly includes 'Doom Bar'

6) Don't forget the gin

7) One toilet per sex is enough. Sometimes one between the two

Modern day guide to fitting out a pub:

1) Paint it that odd browny/grey colour - let's call it 'greige'

2) Rename it something that it used to be called years ago, but in a modern, quirky font

3) Remove all soft furnishings and replace with mismatched dining / school tables and chairs

4) Achieve an industrial / recylcled look with copious quantities of reclained timber / masonry

5) Put on a range of 'craft' beer that almost certainly includes 'Doom Bar'

6) Don't forget the gin

7) One toilet per sex is enough. Sometimes one between the two

8) Charge at least £5 a pint

Variety is the spice of life but it gets offensive when they vandalise pubs with original features, as most of the time these are simply never coming back once the axe falls.