A625 Mam Tor Road

I want to take my kids up Mam Tor (haven't been up there for years). Am I best getting the train to Edale and walking to Mam Tor? Imagine parking can be horrendous near the Tor itself??

Either on the road or it,s own carpark, i visit on a regular basis and have never had a problem. Enjoy.

The road was built hundreds of years ago before they knew about the sub soil problems.

It is built on soft ground but they knew nothing of geology at that time.

I watched a good programme on the Yesterday channel with a lot of information about the road, I just can't remember the name of the programme.

The programme telling the story about the road was on Yesterday Channel and called Abandoned engineering. It will more than likely be on again in the near future I imagine.

I managed to spin a mini on a little bridge going down it, without damaging the car, more by luck than driving skill.

Used to go to Stockport twice a week, Earl's cement lorries used to crawl up in 1st gear most of the way up.

It was a bit dodgy going up and down in the snow and ice, when it closed we used Winnat's, that was even worse.

Mam Tor was referred to as "the shivering mountain" in the 50s.

We used to spend a week every year at the Rotary camp up near Lose Hill.

My memory was the constant caravan of Foden Lorries going up and around the hill hauling limestone from the local quarries.

And the occasional landslide.

Also a bar of Blended Chocolate from the tuck shop in the Castleton square and a brand new American soft drink to rival Tizer, Lemonade and Dandelion & Burdock, called Pepsi Cola!

Often wondered why it was called a tor, a Dartmoor name for a hill and a shivering mountain it cant be a tor and a mountain at the same time. mam tor 1696 ft ,a mountain usually over 2000 ft.

Edited by choogling

Some fantastic pictures of the abandoned road, that I previously knew nothing about. I'm seriously going to have to visit it soon.

Here's another picture when it was in use looking down towards Castleton. Here's what it looks like now.

Edited by JFKvsNixon