St Silas church

My wife attended that church and also took tap-dancing lessons with the vicar's daughter at the vicarage. She thinks the name was something like Postlethwaite. That would be around 1954/5. She also attended St. Silas School.[/QUO

i for some reason went to st mathias but 2 friends went to st silas marilyn hughes and jill stevens they were both born round 1948 so would think they attended abouut the same time as your wife

Hy. in answear to st silias. Sheffield there are two that I know of the one on post and St Silias on parson cross on chaucer close the church is still there part of church is a community centre.Hope this may help good-luck

Hy Lorainec . St Silias Chaucer Close Sheffield S5 In on parson cross sheffield.

I live very close to the church it is not used now all boarded up.

a off side of church is now chaucer commumity centre which is quite nice and friendly place. hope this may help.bye

I was a cub in the 145th finishing in 1958 when we were rehoused from Hodgson St. to Woodhouse. I'd never seen so much countryside! I remember well Rev Haythornthwaite, my parents used to say that if you shook hands with him you'd find a church gift envelope in your palm! Aso went to the St. Silas school with such as Albert Price, Linda Hall and Lois Lambert.

my parents were married there 1937 and my brother and myself christend there 38/48 i was born on exeter st we used to climb up over a wall on our st and end up in hanover sq.does anyone remember derby pub lawson st and vauses chip shop and coal yard on lawson st

Yes I remember Derby pub and Vauses chipshop. I lived on Egerton St and a lot of the pubs were named after towns or cities: Scarborough, Lincoln, Norfolk (Gilchrists). My Dad used to say he was going on a trip down the East coast when he used to go out for a pint or two.

I went to st silas school,church and cubs in the 1950s does anyone know what happened to the cup that was awarded for swimming each year my cousin and myself had our names put on it .It was kept in the school Headmasters office.

I was a cub in the 145th finishing in 1958 when we were rehoused from Hodgson St. to Woodhouse. I'd never seen so much countryside! I remember well Rev Haythornthwaite, my parents used to say that if you shook hands with him you'd find a church gift envelope in your palm! Aso went to the St. Silas school with such as Albert Price, Linda Hall and Lois Lambert.

Hi Bald Eagle,

Albert Price, Linda Hall and Lois Lambert were in the same class as me. Who are you?

Grannypat

---------- Post added 11-04-2018 at 11:15 ----------

Bald Eagle I was trying to remember the names of my class mates from way back then but I know that I am missing a few names. Are you one of the names I can remember?

Albert and Raymond Price, Linda Hall, Michael Yellott, Lois Lambert, Steven Marriott, Susan Mullins, Peter Gowers, Hazel Dutton, George France, Margaret Siddall, Jimmy Elwes, Christine Webster, Gary Rhodes, Susan Weightmen, David Pegg, Linda Carnall, David Hodgkinson (not certain of this surname but something similar) June Leary, Carol Whiting (Carol had a brother named David who I think was Down Syndrome but not sure)

See if you can remember more names than me and see if you remember me.

The sad news is that Albert passed away about 3 or 4 years ago.

Grannypat

Was there a football team (Sat or Sun League) called 'St. Silas Imps' ?

Edited by St Petre
add