Grimesthorpe Part 3

Oldfields were at top of our street on corner of Moss st. and Hunsley st but I will stand corrected it was a long time ago ? they opened a dairy freezer type place on bellhouse rd at firth park

---------- Post added 27-02-2018 at 17:16 ----------

Yes ken the Hodson was on Grimesthorpe ?

The Hodson pub was on Carlisle Road at the corner of Draper Street.

I found out the other day that Rene Marriott who was leader of Girls Brigade at Reform Chapel for a time & also organist passed away last week. I think she was in her mid 90's. Yet another Reform Chapel stalwart gone !

RIP

Gas you’ll have to join Facebook for many more Grimesthorpe sites x

Sorry to report another Grimethorpian loss. John Harrison from Moss st and Hunsley st died last Tuesday 27th March after a short illness. I will post details of funeral when a date is fixed.

I found out the other day that Rene Marriott who was leader of Girls Brigade at Reform Chapel for a time & also organist passed away last week. I think she was in her mid 90's. Yet another Reform Chapel stalwart gone !

RIP

Hi johnpm - As you know my history with the Lifeboys and Boys Brigade at the Reform Chapel, i'm sure that name rings a bell with me but cannot put a face on the dear lady. fleetwood

Hi johnpm - As you know my history with the Lifeboys and Boys Brigade at the Reform Chapel, i'm sure that name rings a bell with me but cannot put a face on the dear lady. fleetwood

Hi Fleetwood. Hope you are reasonably well.

I am sure Rene Marriott would ring a bell with you. She was a Girls Brigade leader & I think she took over from Kath lynch as Captain. She also played the organ for many years. She didn't live in Grimesthorpe though - somewhere other side of town I think.

Best wishes, John

Hi Fleetwood. Hope you are reasonably well.

I am sure Rene Marriott would ring a bell with you. She was a Girls Brigade leader & I think she took over from Kath lynch as Captain. She also played the organ for many years. She didn't live in Grimesthorpe though - somewhere other side of town I think.

Best wishes, John

Hi johnpm - Is that the Kath Lynch that became an ordained minister and lived on the righthand side of the road and across from some billboards walking up from the Reform corner (as it was years ago anyway)? fleetwood

Hi johnpm - Is that the Kath Lynch that became an ordained minister and lived on the righthand side of the road and across from some billboards walking up from the Reform corner (as it was years ago anyway)? fleetwood

Hi Fleetwood, It would be her but she became an accredited local preacher & in fact baptised me. She died a few years ago well into her 90's I think.

Sorry to report another Grimethorpian loss. John Harrison from Moss st and Hunsley st died last Tuesday 27th March after a short illness. I will post details of funeral when a date is fixed.

Sorry to hear that Dommi,not been on here for a while.John was an old neighbour..Hope your well love.x

Hi Sheila, Yes I'm well. John's funeral will be on Friday 27th of April at Grenoside Crematorium at 11:30. I hope you are well Sheila.

Looking through some old books yesterday I came across a hymn written by Amy Wise who was Leader of Reform Chapel Life Boys from 1937 to 1968 & was wife of Charlie Wise, Boys Brigade Captain 1947 - 1961. The hymn is a good one & worth recording:

Christ has no hands but our hands,

To do His work today;

He has no feet but our feet

To lead men in his way;

He has no tongue but our tongue,

To tell men how He died;

He has no help but our help

To bring men to His side.

What if our hands are busy

With other work than His?

What if our feet are walking

Where sin's allurement is;

What if our tongues are speaking

Of things His lips would spurn?

How can we hope to help Him,

And hasten His return.

Jesus our Lord and Master,

Before Thee now we bend,

And pray that Thou wilt help us

To serve Thee 'till life's end;

Use us and all our powers

Our best to Thee we bring;

Oh take us, Lord, and make us

True servants of our King.

Sung to the tune Penlan.

Many of us on here have much to thank Amy & Charlie Wise for !