Any free damp checks out there?

We used higginbottoms who gave a full survey, it was £30.

not sure if they are same company as years ago with lasseles?

came back with loads of damp probs in our house,

over 3k of work inc chopping plaster off the walls,

had a builder come in and said just needed heating putting in,and hey presto no damp!!

hi Doodle,

thanks for that. I had also come across the same 2. Will report back if we end up using one of them!

thanks

Just thought I would report back. Hubby spoke to P Doyle today, who says he's fully booked up till December. However, said he did think our problem was condendsation from what we had said and said to look at his website on how to treat it. Also said that if we did want a report doing before December, to try George Rees, which is the other firm I linked to. We haven't bothered phoning these, as we are going to try and tackle it as condensation and see how it goes. If we can't get the problem sorted, then we will try the two companies again.

We've just reread the survey, and it actually says high moisture readings, which coiuld of course be due to many things, not a failed damp course... so we are going to take a good look ourselves before spending money out.

Out of interest what was this unnecessary work? We have Timberwise coming round tomorrow and as mentioned above I have been impressed by them so far.

The survey not only detailed exactly where the damp was etc but also what the causes would be which I have been sorting out.

I guess it might depend on which surveyor you get - ours was obviously pretty new. He recommended chemical injections to walls when the real problem was that block paving on the drive was crossing the damp course and blocking air vents to the underfloor.

I was going to recommend Sentinel in Hillsborough but cannot find them now on the internet - was completely free and they gave full written quotation as to what needed doing and no hassling afterwards.

Free isn't always free, as others have mentioned.

I got a bit steamed up a bout all this, espesially after reading views of an independant damp surveyor (there don't seem to be many of them)

(P Doyle)

His web site is very interesting, well worth a read.

http://www.pdoyle.net/content/view/13/17/

I'm sure you'll get the right work done, problably by someone like Timberwise etc eventually anyway.

Oops, someone allready mentioned him. I think I'd liek to retrain and work with him now, he seems very busy!

Good luck. Hope you get it sorted.

Edited by malaikaa
P Doyle Already been mentioned

Hi Everyone. Just thought I would tell my story to help you all out.

I had a damp issue in my downstairs toilet and wanted it fixed. I got a couple of damp companies out to tell me what the problem was. Both companies (one has been mentioned in this thread) recommended installing a new chemical damp-proof course and removing all the plaster (2k worth of work).

I didn't like what they said so did a bit of research and came across a company called DampServe - Found them on Google.

They do charge but you get what you pay for. The surveyor was very friendly and knew his stuff. The damp issue was down to my high driveway on the other side of the toilet wall. He recommended putting in a french drain and leaving the wall to dry out. 3 months later the wall is bone dry.

Even though they carry out some work all there surveys are fully independent as you have to pay for them. They provided me with a full report and a quotation to sort the driveway out. Cut the channel myself over a weekend.

Getting them out saved me a lot of money and I would highly recommend them to anyone.

That's an interesting first post..reviving an eight year old thread...have you worked for them for long? :D

To be fair it does highlight one of the common issues with damp companies, they just want to shove a new DPC in without even looking at the problem.

That's an interesting first post..reviving an eight year old thread...have you worked for them for long? :D

.....and whoops, it's gone. :)

Hi

I'm new to all this and came across the post on google so thought I should voice my story. Looks like I shouldn't have tried to help!

Hi

I'm new to all this and came across the post on google so thought I should voice my story. Looks like I shouldn't have tried to help!

It just seemed to be a very odd thread to put a first post on..it was 8 years old as well..yours was the kid of post people touting for business often type... the original poster would have been sorted out by now I would imagine :) .no offence meant by me anyway...

I have read somewhere that damp-proofing contractors use a meter that is intended for testing the moisture content of wood. These meters will often indicate that a wall is damp when it is actually ok. There are many experts in the field who reckon that rising damp does not exist. I can believe that's true for brick-built structures but I am not sure about stone-built cottages having lived in one for many years.

Edited by fatrajah