Camera recomendation

Hi

I'm looking to purchase a camera mainly for wildlife use as I have some spare time coming up due to partial retirement.

I have looked on websites and I just get bamboozled with them and don't no where to start.

I have very little experience in photography but would like to expand my experience as I go along.

Well first port of call would be to get a "decent" camera but without paying silly money like 2k.

I am looking up to 1k or less and looking for recommendations from you lot in the know.

Thanks

First decide what type of camera you want, DSLR or Bridge.

DSLR one camera many lenses, for wildlife you'll need at lease a 300mm lens and all in all you won't get a lot for a Grand. see the Nikon D5300.

Bridge, one camera one lens, Lighter to carry, slightly lower quality photos but not by much, cheaper. see the Nikon P900 or the Panasonic DMC FZ2000/2500

If you are looking at a bridge camera at the 1k mark then forget about the Nikon P900, all it has going for it is an absurd zoom lens, not much else, much better performers are the Panasonic FZ1000 or its bigger sensor brother the FZ2000 which has much better 4k video, if you can stump up an extra 300 quid then you can get the Sony RX10 mark 3.

Yes I think i can run to the Sony rx10 mark 3.

Looks a nice camera.

Can you recommend a good photography club to get involved with or maybe a wildlife photography group.

Mean while I will look at one of those cameras.

Although the Sony Rx10 is an excellent camera it,s zoom range is only 24-200 approx limiting you with wildlife subjects.

Some good deals on used Sony's in Harrison cameras at the mo.

for wildlife photography within your budget I would be looking at something like nikon D7000/7100 + Tamron 150-600mm VC USD lens. Crop factor of DX camera would make that lens to appear as 225-900mm. So it's some decent reach.

Although the Sony Rx10 is an excellent camera it,s zoom range is only 24-200 approx limiting you with wildlife subjects.

The RX10 mk3 has a 24-600 lens.

---------- Post added 25-04-2018 at 17:19 ----------

Yes I think i can run to the Sony rx10 mark 3.

Looks a nice camera.

Can you recommend a good photography club to get involved with or maybe a wildlife photography group.

Mean while I will look at one of those cameras.

The Sony is a fantastic camera, nip in to Jessops and have a play, take a memory card down and they will let you take some pics outside the shop and you can have a look at them at home, as soon as you pick the mark 3 up you will feel for yourself the difference in quality compared to other bridge cameras, at any price.

---------- Post added 25-04-2018 at 17:22 ----------

Not only does the mark 3 have a 24-600mm lens, it also stays at f4 throughout.

Edited by mickey finn

If you are not quite sure what type of camera you want go into Harrison cameras they have new and 2nd hand.They will offer you help and advice, but it is also what feels comfortable to hold and what looks good to you.They can probably tell you about what clubs and groups are in the area.

If its the Panasonic Lumix FZ1000/2000 you are wanting to look at then go to Jessops at Meadowhall as Harrisons don't stock the them.

Well... I'm not a big fan of Sony or of bridge cameras, but must admit the RX10 III looks a lovely bit of kit! And seems to have excellent reviews to match!

I would definitely echo what blue9iron says - get yourself to Harrisons and make sure you're certain what type of camera you want. Even if you don't understand enough to choose a particular model or even a brand, at least figure out whether you want an SLR, a bridge camera or a compact...

My preference would always be SLR but I accept they can be cumbersome, too big/heavy for some people to manage, or simply too complex for you to want to learn. Equally it can be tempting to think you want a nice compact camera because you can take it everywhere, but then find them to be fiddly and confusing to use as settings are sometimes hidden behind complex menus rather than just having a button for it! Bridge cameras can be a good compromise and the RX10 III definitely looks like one of the best out there... for me the deciding factor is what feels most comfortable to use and be sure it won't be a hindrance to taking it out with you.

Harrisons are exceptionally helpful, especially if you can go mid week when it's quieter they will spare all the time you need to make sure you understand what you want or need. They'll let you play with as many cameras as you want for as long as you want, and won't try to pressure you into a sale. Even if you don't buy anything or after their advice you decide your choice is something they don't actually sell, it'd be worth your time calling in :)