Aquatic Life In The Don !!

As a kid growing up my siblings and I lived less than a quarter mile from the River Don!,this was early 50s.In those days it was polluted to death with all the factories and various firms pouring away all their detritus and effluent into it!.We used to swim and paddle in it quite often,its a wonder we never caught something nasty and bad healthwise!.There was no living thing in the mainstream but nowadays thanks to the decrease in the pollution I am told that various course fish have returned even salmon in some places!.Also anglers have been using the river,I have been nowhere near for many years now so I was wondering if anyone has any info on the river up to the present time,it would be interesting to catch up before I fall off my perch!.

Would that be a European Perch or the Yellow variety?

Saw a bloke fishing near the weir at Lady's Bridge yesterday pull out a fish. Apologies I can't say what kind as my knowledge of fish extends pretty much to identifying it as a fish.

Saw a bloke fishing near the weir at Lady's Bridge yesterday pull out a fish. Apologies I can't say what kind as my knowledge of fish extends pretty much to identifying it as a fish.

Unless it was a trout or salmon (possibly grayling?) he shouldnt be catching anything is its closed season on rivers until June!

I thought you could fish rivers in the Close Season if you use certain baits ?

you can fish some rivers during the trout season, but the bylaws state you must use fly, spinner or legered worm

the river is full of fish, I've been fishing it for at least 20 years, probably closer to 25 now, mostly up round Deepcar & from Middlewood up to Oughtibridge

wild brown trout & grayling are the staple, but you also get some chub, perch and the odd barbel

most of these species were stocked up on the Tin Mill stretch years ago, and have thrived and made their way downstream

further downstream, there is a much higher proportion of coarse silverfish present

as an example, in November I fished down towards Rotherham one sunday morning & caught in excess of 80 fish, roach & dace, but kept getting pestered by pike

the river is alive

Would that be a European Perch or the Yellow variety?

Neither its a wooden one!.:hihi:

Neither its a wooden one!.:hihi:

Saw a kingfisher at the back of meadowhall a few weeks ago. Otters are supposed to be on the way back too.

Edited by drolnhoj

Old Tup, I work near your old stomping ground ( club mill rd ) and the river there holds plenty of trout and grayling with the odd chub and barbel. We even had a few carp which lived next to a fallen tree before it was removed.

As kids we messed around in the river from the weir beneath the old stone bridge that was washed away in floods a few years back,the one behind Bassets near Coopers scrapyard!.After the weir the river split in two around a small island,the left side flowing fast the right slowly,this side we dammed up with rocks making a large pool in which we played in!.We built dens on the island and spent hours around the place,the only life in the river came from the tunnel opposite the island which was the overflow from the old Herries Road watermill dam!.Sticklebacks ,small course fish,newts and frogs that was it due to the high pollution in the mainstream!.

Once saw a terrapin basking in sun whilst fishing a stretch near Effingham Rd .

Obviously someone's pet that got too big for its tank!!