Former site of Tinsley towers gets go ahead for art project.

I like the look of the Park Hill flats, now they have been refurbished. A great re-use of a valuable building.

Much better to re-use the existing concrete structure than to demolish and rebuild, what a tragic waste of resources that would have been.

It's a shame though that Urban Splash have stalled redevelopment of the rest of the flats for years now, and won't give a timetable for it.

---------- Post added 21-09-2017 at 08:53 ----------

another silly idea,waste of money,build a big steel man and save money that's all that's needed if we must spend money.

Why is a steel man OK but not brick sculptures?

There's a BBC article on it here

Although, I'm somewhat confused why the original 'iconic' towers were demolished....But what do I know?

That's the project I mentioned earlier. But I can't see a £2 million price tag.

Regardless of the issue of cost/who is paying for it (which is an important issue don't get me wrong!) what do people here think to the actual art itself?

Regardless of the issue of cost/who is paying for it (which is an important issue don't get me wrong!) what do people here think to the actual art itself?

It is half hearted and incomplete. There were two simple solid towers there and if there is a decent budget put something big, complete, simple art.

The suggested art appears to come from someone who keeps thinking and thinking about what to do next then uses all these ideas to paste something together.

We need an artist with one big simple creation that makes you smile and brings you to the present moment when you drive by. Not something that makes you think and philosophise about Sheffield's dark gone by history past.

It does the job and I can see it blending in with buildings, and will brighten that area of Sheffield up a bit. I don't think I'd be bothered about buying a print of it though. And very much doubt it would cause an accident due to motorists being distracted.

Edited by AmberLeaf

I don't consider this complete unless there will be some actual real thick nasty cloud of smoke coming from these chimneys.

I don't consider this complete unless there will be some actual real thick nasty cloud of smoke coming from these chimneys.

Yeh go the whole Hog and have Carboard cutouts of Fred Dibnah sat on the top of em. :hihi:

what happened to the man of steel statue ?. I would much prefer that , than these so called modern art things

Hopefully it is still going to be constructed. I donated to have a name carved on the Heart of Steel just last month.

I will wait and see what it looks like when built before i pass judgement on it.Modern art doesnt usually work on me because i have a distinct lack of imagination but i will wait and see.I much prefer a proper working chimney.This is one of the best chimneys i have come across while traversing yorkshire.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/38/Listermillsbradford.jpg/1200px-Listermillsbradford.jpg

Reminiscent of the Grimsby Dock Tower architecture.

https://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/5d/Grimsby_Dock_Tower.jpg/220px-Grimsby_Dock_Tower.jpg&imgrefurl=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimsby_Dock_Tower&h=269&w=220&tbnid=bG-S_2FM2z5F4M:&tbnh=160&tbnw=130&usg=__2Kaaj92w2AeiLU54HQlVU669GCI=&vet=10ahUKEwiIndvq37jWAhWKLcAKHZyvCl4Q_B0ILTAB..i&docid=r7sg-RaUg5AbRM&itg=1&client=firefox-b-ab&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiIndvq37jWAhWKLcAKHZyvCl4Q_B0ILTAB

Build something with a purpose , I can think of better use for the land and money to be spent on.

That's it, why not build some white elephants, Sheffield seems to be in short supply of those.

The funny thing is that SCC rejected the awesome Man of Steel because they were holding out for Antony Gormley.

Now we've been left with this GCSE Art project

Guest makapaka
The funny thing is that SCC rejected the awesome Man of Steel because they were holding out for Antony Gormley.

Now we've been left with this GCSE Art project

When was it rejected I hadn’t heard that?