British Overseas Aid?

Not a law then, can we decide not to follow this 'rule'?

Not a UK law, as far as I know (unless our craven Government voluntarily imposed the rule on itself).

---------- Post added 18-09-2017 at 17:47 ----------

Its 0.7% of the UK GDP. We pay more than any other country in Europe and one of the highest in the world.

During austerity.

One of the other problems is that we have to spend that money every year no matter what so in the last month we give it away like its nothing.

Meanwhile back home, Sheffield city council has had to cut £50m from public services year on year.

Is that fair? I dont think so.

I would immediately cut our foreign aid budget in half or to 0.3%.

I would give £1bn to the police to put 40,000 more police on the street.

I would give prisons £1bn as year to build a new prison every year for the next 10 years.

Best: abolish the loopy 0.7% rule, foisted on the UK by that William Hague.

It's equivalent to saying "I'm going to spend 0.7% of my salary on xxx. Now, what shall I buy (whether I need xxx or not)?"

Instead, the UK should spend what's needed (and affordable) on those who need it.

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw

The UK is to give an immediate £70 million to the Rohingya in Bangladesh.

At a time of cutbacks here in the UK with council taxpayers having to pay additional tax to fund social care.& the NHS facing cutbacks, how can this be justified?

Of course there won't be any criticism from any of the main political parties, other than that some will probably decla it's not enough.

At a time of cutbacks here in the UK with council taxpayers having to pay additional tax to fund social care.& the NHS facing cutbacks, how can this be justified?

Of course there won't be any criticism from any of the main political parties, other than that some will probably decla it's not enough.

Because they're in a desperate situation and 70 million, in the grand scheme of things, is peanuts.

Because they're in a desperate situation and 70 million, in the grand scheme of things, is peanuts.

And £70 million of peanuts, 'donated' by UK tax payers, thrown into UK social care or one of our other neglected sectors would be most welcome here.

And £70 million of peanuts, 'donated' by UK tax payers, thrown into UK social care or one of our other neglected sectors would be most welcome here.

If you want increased spending on social care and other important public services, vote Labour.

If you want increased spending on social care and other important public services, vote Labour.

And would that stop the futility of throwing UK tax payers money at overseas problems that are not of our making, when that money should be spent at home.

The UK is a very wealthy country. How can it not be justified?

Today’s UK aid is expected to provide up to:

200,000 people with the necessary materials to strengthen their shelters;

300,000 people with food assistance and clean water;

30,000 pregnant and breastfeeding women and 120,000 under-fives with emergency nutrition;

50,000 women – many of whom will give birth during the rainy season – to have access to midwifery care;

52,900 women and girls to have access to bathing cubicles; and

50,000 people to have access to healthcare services.

International Development Secretary Penny Mordaunt said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-aid-to-help-people-in-coxs-bazar-ahead-of-monsoon-season

And would that stop the futility of throwing UK tax payers money at overseas problems that are not of our making, when that money should be spent at home.

UK bombs and missiles dropped in Syria and Iraq From 1 January - 9 April 2017 129 Paveway IV bombs, 37 Hellfire missiles, 20 Brimstone missiles, 30 Unspecified / other; Ministry of Defence.

The conflict in Syria is entering its eigth year, the country and its people are in crisis. More than 11.6 million people have fled their homes because of fighting and over five million now live as refugees.

UK bombs and missiles dropped in Syria and Iraq From 1 January - 9 April 2017 129 Paveway IV bombs, 37 Hellfire missiles, 20 Brimstone missiles, 30 Unspecified / other; Ministry of Defence.

The conflict in Syria is entering its eigth year, the country and its people are in crisis. More than 11.6 million people have fled their homes because of fighting and over five million now live as refugees.

I wonder what the cost of the bombs was in £s?