Flickering/Blank screen

On most occasions when I turn on my laptop everything operates normally as it is now as I type this message. Sometimes whilst working the screen flickers (as you get when a light bulb is about "to blow"). Occasionally when I turn on it seems that everything is happening normally for a short time and then the screen goes completely blank as if there is no power and nothing happens subsequently. So far, when either of these things occur, when I switch off the power and then on again, I get the usual message that my machine had not properly closed down before it goes on to restart normally and (apparently) all is well.

My laptop is an Aspire Satellite with Windows 10 and my ISP is BT.

I would be most grateful for any advice about what the underlying problem might be and how it might be rectified. As an 80-odd year old, I'm not the most computer literate of users!

It could be a loose cable, possibly backlight, inverter.

Has it always been like this or just something recent? Does it happen when you move the screen as in when you open and close it?

If it happens when you open and close it is likely a loose cable.

Hello.

Just as Love2print suggests - we a;sp think it may be LVDS cable (cable that connects screen with main body of a laptop). It can break because of simple movement of the screen when you open and close it. If it stays dark for a longer time, I'd use flashlight to check if you still can see anything on the screen. If you do, the problem is related to lighting of screen. Then it would be several steps to track down the source, if it would be inverter (if your laptop older and has CCFL lights) or cable only (fits both CCFL and LED). If the screen flickers more while moving the lid, that would indicate faulty cable.

Thanks

99% that this is flat cable issue.