The Horseshoe, Shiregreen.

what are your memories of the [shoe]. i was a regular from 1973 to the day it closed. my name is fred hawnt and would like to hear from any of the old football or snooker lads.

what are your memories of the [shoe]. i was a regular from 1973 to the day it closed. my name is fred hawnt and would like to hear from any of the old football or snooker lads.

used to go in occasionally in the 70's.

Edited by sparkyfred

Do you remember scotch John and shirley from Shirehall.

I knew a lot that went in there and that club below was it Hartley house.

My very good friends Ann and Graham Richmond often went in the horseshoe....

me and my mates started goin in shoe but found it were very clickish if u know wat i mean derfblade,is the der as in homer simpson or der fat blade icud have called misen mijowl ehderf or is it fred

My other half was talking about this place just the other day. Apparently it was just like Jockey in Shameless.

Might I add he liked the place LOL

I was only talking about this the other day. I used to go there regularly

I often called in the Horseshoe during the war time but it was always known to us as Aphatis (spelling?) does anyone know as to how it got that name,i used to assume it was the name of a former landlord like swainies was for the Carlisle Hotel when a chap named Swain kept it in the early 1900,s

hi im similar to derfblade went in shoe for prob last 25 years or so of its life did go downhill due to a lot of the ballbags who started using it who brought drugs an violence with it,it was that what forced it to close apart from brewery getting rid of one of best landlords, it was effectionly known as hafferties 50s-60s

I went on a pub trip to watch Wednesday at Chelsea with the Horseshoe mob. Half of them were tanked up before we got to the M1. We stopped at the Red Lion at Ruston nr Northampton, a pub/transport cafe where the minah bird told us to **** off as we walked throught the door. At about 2pm someone said we'd better be leaving for the game. At 2.15 we departed, the minah bird called us all *******s and told us to **** off as we left, still 60 odd miles from London never mind Chelsea. We arrived at Stamford Bridge at half time, 2-0 down courtesy of Speedie and Dixon. We paid £3 to get in and saw an own goal by Shirtcliff, but not sure how it finished 3-2 to chelsea I think. Most of us were still well bladdered. We got on the coach to come back and at about 6.30pm at Watford Gap the flipping bus broke down. It was snowing like a good 'un by then and we ate Watford Gap out of food. The snow was that bad that nobody else was daft enough to be out on the motorway. The staff ended up giving us what food they had left for free. At 2am a replacement coach arrived and we all piled on. There were no tracks on the motorway in front of us all the way from Watford Gap to Nottingham and the snow just got worse and worse. We eventually got home at about 6.30am and had to dig 3 foot of snow out to get the cars out of the car park. I eventually got in the house at 8am.

They were a good set of lads though, some right characters. This was the 80's before the "Shameless" prototypes moved in.