Are Calais Migrants OUR Problem?

mandatory carrying of said ID cards/passports/permits (remember that one next time you travel there, if you weren't aware),

I believe it is/was mandatory for (legal) migrants to carry passports in Germany, I don't know why it's not just law everywhere - seems to make sense?

I believe it is/was mandatory for (legal) migrants to carry passports in Germany, I don't know why it's not just law everywhere - seems to make sense?

They would have to be carrying their own passports to make it work. Somebody can look up the actual numbers but ISTR that something like two thirds arrive without any papers and a third claim to be unaccompanied minors. They throw papers away so they can claim to be refugees and they claim to be minors so try to gain entry as vulnerable people.

France should be asking the EU for money rather than the UK because the problems at Calais have been caused mainly because of the Schengen agreement.

---------- Post added 18-01-2018 at 13:19 ----------

Belgium, France and the Netherlands take an enormous amount more immigrants than the UK does. No, they should not do more. The UK should.

The UK are providing more money than Belquim, France and the Netherlands for the official UN refugee camps and providing more aid. The UK are not part of the Schengen area so the UK should not get involved in taking any migrants from France.

Because it's too hard to exist "outside the system" long-term in France.

See below as to why.

Anybody who's ever asked (and there have been lots on here over the years), I've always answered, repeatedly:

mandatory ID cards (substitute for: foreign ID card/passport for EU & non-EU tourists and non-French EU residents; sojourn permits aka visas for non-EU legal immigrants) and mandatory carrying of said ID cards/passports/permits (remember that one next time you travel there, if you weren't aware), associated with vast (-compared to UK) stop-search powers for the police (...better be Caucasian to skip stop/searches, as well...);

a working registration system for residing foreigners (legal and not, EU and not);

a working tracking, processing, detainment and removal procedure for illegals;

all integrated with a working centralised system for access to healthcare and benefits, wherein access to free healthcare is subjected to both to pre-registration and to refundable payment (pay €10 to see GP, get €10 refunded if entitled to free healthcare = GP practices and hospitals are fully geared to take and process payments, and to check entitlement as part of that process).

Like any of that would ever happen in the UK, any time soon.

You don't want ID cards, you don't want plod empowered to stop you and order you to produce them, you want to keep the NHS completely just-walk-in-free-aces-no-paperwork, <etc>. That's for the ideological, don't-want-to-give-more-powers-to-the-state part.

I'll gloss over successive government's wholesome incompetence about, and underfunding of, the management of immigration in the UK, legal and not. That's the practical, don't-want-to-throw-money-at-the-problem part.

So it's a free-for-all for most illegals who manage to get into the UK (and legals who overstay their visa) because, compared to France (wherein it's significantly more difficult for them to find casual black economy work, because employers are just as 'monitored' in different ways), in the UK effectively there is not much of a system at all, made up of disjointed parts with little in the way of joined-up thinking behind them.

Coincidentally with the topic, what you have there, is one of the main reasons why illegals make such a beeline for the UK across Europe. So be careful what you wish for, as you might just get it :twisted:

Cheers, perhaps we SHOULD be looking at some if not all of those

As it is claimed we are going to hell in a handcart after we leave the EU, why the preference for the U.K.?

Just seen your post L100b

Edited by carosio

Sir Nige’ said we’re leaving the EU.

BoJo the Clown said the EU can go whistle.

Now we’re no longer part of the EU, why should Southern European and Eastern European countries go to the expense of securing their borders when most immigrants simply want to pass through those countries to get to the UK?

You wanted a Hard Brexit and to tell the EU to shove it, and you got it :)

So what the hell are you whinging for?

I did not realise we had left the corrupt EU. March 2019 was the leaving date I understood.

Angel1

As it is claimed we are going to hell in a handcart after we leave the EU, why the preference for the U.K.?

Just seen your post L100b

I'm not sure I understand how to read your post, carosio?

But for the avoidance of doubt, there's no preference left here: we are leaving the UK next month (it's been public knowledge on here for a while).

---------- Post added 18-01-2018 at 14:27 ----------

Cheers, perhaps we SHOULD be looking at some if not all of those
Most of the EU27 countries also have them, in one form or another, as alluded to by geared's comment about Germany. I know Luxembourg has them, since we'll have to go register as soon as we arrive there, even though we're all EU nationals (we have a right to move and work there under freedom of movement, but also a duty to tell the country that we are now there).

The UK had them after WW2 (that's where the UK's modern-day NI system and number originates from), but ditched most of them in the 50s or 60s.

The UK has an immigration system, solid on paper but which is fairly dysfunctional, severely under-resourced and under-staffed. And no ID cards, no statutes about formal identification (passports are optional, likewise driving licenses and those only for over-16s) and attempts at 'integrating' personal particulars with healthcare, the benefits system and whatnot (aka Universal Credit system) are currently looking doomed to fail. Again.

Edited by L00b

I did not realise we had left the corrupt EU. March 2019 was the leaving date I understood.

Angel1

If you really believe that, then good for you

is it time to fill the tunnel in

is it time to fill the tunnel in

No, unless you want to do serious harm to trade and the economy.