Walk in centre to close

It makes perfect sense and will provide a far better service - less fragmented.

No one will miss 'ESSENTIAL medical care' - if it is essential they will receive it wherever the caregiver is situated.

I do think that GP's will have to up their game though and provide a local service 7 full days a week where patients can get an appointment the same day without having to jump through hoops. People do get sick at weekends and don't always have several days or weeks warning to try to get an appointment. There wouldn't be a need for a walk in centre then.

Surely the whole point of the walk in centre and Minor Injuries unit is to preempt 'ESSENTIAL medical care' such as my friend who may well have saved the NHS a fortune in resources and money by not contracting deadly tetanus. GP's aren't on the chopping block, and as it stands they can't offer the service provided by the units which are.

Surely the whole point of the walk in centre and Minor Injuries unit is to preempt 'ESSENTIAL medical care' such as my friend who may well have saved the NHS a fortune in resources and money by not contracting deadly tetanus. GP's aren't on the chopping block, and as it stands they can't offer the service provided by the units which are.

The 'whole point' of the walk in centre is to provide primary care for people out of hours and for those who don't have access to a GP at the time they need to seek medical attention. Preempting essential secondary medical attention is done well by GP's but there is a difficulty by many to access this care in a timely manner.

What I'm saying is that if GP's provided a service that everyone could access easily there would be no need for the elderly and infirm to have to travel far to access primary health care.

Edited by Daven

Make sure you fill in the survey to make your views known. Recently had a good experience with my mum being sent to a nearby GP surgery to get her ears syringed - more convenient time and got seen more quickly, so more of that would work well, but I don't like the idea of going to a different GP for a regular consultation if it isn't urgent.

The 'whole point' of the walk in centre is to provide primary care for people out of hours and for those who don't have access to a GP at the time they need to seek medical attention. Preempting essential secondary medical attention is done well by GP's but there is a difficulty by many to access this care in a timely manner.

Glad that we can finally agree on something and that you support the WIC and MIU staying open.

My hale and hearty 85 YO mother in law occasionally uses the WIC because it's a short bus ride to town. She's said that she won't catch 2 buses to get lost in the NGH. When she can't get an appointment with her one GP practice she'll just forgo care at a time of life when she might need it.

My friend might be dead by now if she hadn't called into the MIU for the tetanus jab. She wouldn't have gone to the NGH just for that and had no idea how serious her injury could have turned out to be.

Glad that we can finally agree on something and that you support the WIC and MIU staying open.

My hale and hearty 85 YO mother in law occasionally uses the WIC because it's a short bus ride to town. She's said that she won't catch 2 buses to get lost in the NGH. When she can't get an appointment with her one GP practice she'll just forgo care at a time of life when she might need it.

My friend might be dead by now if she hadn't called into the MIU for the tetanus jab. She wouldn't have gone to the NGH just for that and had no idea how serious her injury could have turned out to be.

Yes - I'm pleased that we have finally found some common ground :thumbsup:

I certainly DO support the minor injuries and the walk in centre staying open but believe they should all be under one roof so a person can be assessed on their arrival and be directed to the most appropriate department so reducing the need to redirect people to another area miles away. This, however, will only work if there is better access to primary care at GP level.

P.s., - I'm pleased your friend got the attention they needed.

Your Mum in law shouldn't have to make a trip to town to see a doctor - she should be able to see her local GP when she needs help.

Edited by Daven

Yes - I'm pleased that we have finally found some common ground :thumbsup:

I certainly DO support the minor injuries and the walk in centre staying open but believe they should all be under one roof so a person can be assessed on their arrival and be directed to the most appropriate department so reducing the need to redirect people to another area miles away. This, however, will only work if there is better access to primary care at GP level.

P.s., - I'm pleased your friend got the attention they needed.

Your Mum in law shouldn't have to make a trip to town to see a doctor - she should be able to see her local GP when she needs help.

Coolio, I knew that you loved me really.

MIL's practice only has one GP these days and he has no practice nurse to do the day to day tasks. You'll appreciate why, despite all the obvious arguments, she's staying on the GP's list where she's been all her life. Therefore the WIC is essential to her actual situation, not a fantasy one that we could dream up for an ideal world. The reality is that she'll be denied access to care if the WIC moves to the NGH. She's fabulously fit and active for her age but I do worry about the proposal.

The MIU is such an obvious secondary facility to retain on the opposite side of town to the NGH that it needs no discussion.

On a practical note (albeit with no knowledge of property or resource matters) combining the WIC with the MIU at the RHH seems like an option worth considering. There's even a new multi storey car park next door. ;)

I went to Minor Injuries a few months back - despite it being during my GP's hours, and not having an issue with getting an appointment - because I suspected that I had a stress fracture and only an X-Ray would give me a definite diagnosis. The nurse who examined me thought it very unlikely to be a stress fracture because the pain wasn't in the right place. But she sent me for an X-Ray anyway. I walked out the back of the clinic, into X-Ray and after a short wait, the stress fracture was confirmed. I wouldn't have gone all the way to Northern General to visit Minor Injuries. I would have gone to my GP, who might have told me the same as the nurse, and I might not have bothered to go to Northern General for that X-Ray. Result - more damage, more cost to the NHS, more time off work, more cost to my employer.

There should be walk-in services available to people near the town centre (such as the current walk-in centre and the Minor Injuries unit) - just about all public transport meets in the city centre, a large number of people work in the city centre. Moving services out of the city deters people from using them - and often, prevention /early treatment is a good deal cheaper than postponed treatment.

It may make rational sense for the NHS to centralise services in one place. But it doesn't make sense for how people live their lives and access health services.

What I'm saying is that if GP's provided a service that everyone could access easily there would be no need for the elderly and infirm to have to travel far to access primary health care.

Yes. If GPs' surgeries were open longer, the walk-in centre wouldn't be needed AND many users of A&E wouldfn't need to.

I have used the MIU about 6 times and it is fantastic where it is . Easily accessible on public transport , Very efficient staff ., good facilities ,prompt attention . In all my visits I think the longest one was about 50 minutes and that included an xray . In my opinion it would be a travesty if they moved it to the NGH

In a city with the geographical area of Sheffield, it's crazy to have only one A&E. If a MIU would take pressure off NG A&E, then build another one there. I live in south Sheffield, think Chesterfield now closer if I do something beyond a plaster but not life threatening.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

In a city with the geographical area of Sheffield, it's crazy to have only one A&E.

Yes. This was well-known and argued when the A&E at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital was misguidedly closed.