G. & J. W.H. Silver makers Sheffield

Hello,

I bought a sterling silver flask with the hall marks of Sheffield 1923 and these maker's initials: G. & J. W.H.

Can anyone help me to identify the name(s) behind those initials and any other historical information about this Sheffield firm?

thank you

David

my uncle worked in the trade around the late 60's,early 70's,he now lives in australia but we talk about once a month,i'll see if i can get some info for ya:thumbsup:

thank you-I would be grateful to hear anytime you can garner from him about the firm.

I did some research on the internet on a page that gives Sheffield historical names and addresses and learned the following: G.& J.W. H. was the firm of George and John William Hawksley, manufacturers of utilitarian objects in the last half of the 19th and the first part of the 20th centuries. They made powder flasks and shot belts as well as brandy flasks. Their business is recorded at 75 Carver Street. George Hawksley's residence was at 73 Carver Street. J.W. resided at 22 Holliscroft and is recorded as being a horn merchant as well. The name is also recorded as George Hawksley and Co. at 32 Charlotte Street as a manufacturer of silver and plated ware. Hawksley is also found at the 75 Carver Street address as Hawksley, Needham & Co. as a maker of springknives (whatever they are).

The Hawksleys made quite beautiful sterling flasks and some can be seen here:

http://www.bexfield.co.uk/sdxflask.htm

Does anyone have any information of interest about the family, the firms, or their products? What is at 75 Carver Street today? I am a Yank in Pennsylvania and cannot drive over to see for myself!!

I have been researching my family tree, which includes George Hawklsey who migrated from England abt 1820, they went to tipperary, and George married a Wallace, then went to live in Shinrone. George Married agian, bothmarriages saw 7 children, all who migrated to either Canada or Australia.

Wallaces, Blackwells, and Longs are all related to this family, both families also migrated to both countries.

I have recieved old family research, that suggests that this family og Gun makers/ electro platers are the direct line, currently have located the info that you have pasted hear, including the closure, or sale of the company in 1866, to a Makin, who took the bussiness over and manufactured table ware. I have a couple of old advertisments from a web site, I am trying to understand the family from this end to prove a link to the George Hwaksley in Shinrone.

Aussie research

Hi

Hope you can help me idenifty some Sheffield hallmarks on a spoon. They are R.P in a coat-of-arms shape. I think the teasoon is 1920s. They have the Sheffield and sterling silver hallmarks too.

Thanks for your help, it means a lot to my mum!

:)

Hi

Hope you can help me idenifty some Sheffield hallmarks on a spoon. They are R.P in a coat-of-arms shape. I think the teasoon is 1920s. They have the Sheffield and sterling silver hallmarks too.

Thanks for your help, it means a lot to my mum!

:)

I've just looked at Sheffield Silver Maker marks and it may be Robert Pringle & sons.

I have been researching my family tree, which includes George Hawklsey who migrated from England abt 1820, they went to tipperary, and George married a Wallace, then went to live in Shinrone. George Married agian, bothmarriages saw 7 children, all who migrated to either Canada or Australia.

Wallaces, Blackwells, and Longs are all related to this family, both families also migrated to both countries.

I have recieved old family research, that suggests that this family og Gun makers/ electro platers are the direct line, currently have located the info that you have pasted hear, including the closure, or sale of the company in 1866, to a Makin, who took the bussiness over and manufactured table ware. I have a couple of old advertisments from a web site, I am trying to understand the family from this end to prove a link to the George Hwaksley in Shinrone.

Aussie research

I am also researching my family who are Hawksley's ...My 5th Great Grandfather was George the powder flask maker