Any memories of the sidewalk cafe chapel walk

Sorry Folks, got the wrong road, of course the Sidewalk Café was on Chapel Walk .. my mistake.

178 Patricia

The 'Sidewalk Cafe' was frequented by 'Ten Bob Millionaires' ten or more years before 'Josephines' (1976) re-invented them.

My dad was a regular there in the sixties, particularly on Saturdays when there was a break in licensing hours. He had a mate who worked in a fashion shop, Harry Fenton (?) on Chapel Walk and he used to wait in The Sidewalk for him to finish work before they went up to the Buccaneer.

Remember eating in the downstairs area and them having a bowl of cucumber and onions soaking in vinegar,delicious.

Loved the side walk when most Saturdays and then on to the Zodiac in the flats. Neil

Remember eating in the downstairs area and them having a bowl of cucumber and onions soaking in vinegar,delicious.

My grandmother had a bowl of that on the go, constantly, loved it.

My grandmother had a bowl of that on the go, constantly, loved it.

Still make it myself. Oven bottom bread cake, some nice ham and then load it on. That's heaven!

Incidentally, though I didn't do the Sidewalk often, I used to buy virtually all my trendy gear from Harry Fentons, opposite. I'm sure it must have been there for a few years during 60s/ 70s. Wasn't the manager called Barry?

I used to work there in the early 70's as a Saturday girl. Anyone remember the square scones? :thumbsup:

Yes, the square scones were epic.:|

---------- Post added 09-05-2016 at 14:39 ----------

Still make it myself. Oven bottom bread cake, some nice ham and then load it on. That's heaven!

Incidentally, though I didn't do the Sidewalk often, I used to buy virtually all my trendy gear from Harry Fentons, opposite. I'm sure it must have been there for a few years during 60s/ 70s. Wasn't the manager called Barry?

another version that I remember was chopped onions, cucumber and mint in vinegar. It was made on Sundays to eat with the Yorkshire pudding that was always served before the meat, potatoes and vegetables. Mmmmm, I could just eat some now.

If it's the one i'm thinking of then it used to scare me going past there as a kid in the 70's. The noisy extractor fan blowing out on to Chapel Walk was unusual and scary to a small person.

We used to go down Chapel Walk to the café every Saturday to see the groups. We asked each group where they were playing that night before we made a decision who to see. Once decided we would go to C & A to buy our outfit.We got to know some of the lads really well and if you arrived early enough to the venue they used to get us in free if we carried one of the drums or a guitar into the venue.

Does anyone know what year the Sidewalk Cafe closed?

Oh! I loved the Sidewalk. I'd go there with my mates on a Saturday. We'd just hang out with coffees. Cool moments with boyfriends. A special time! I will come back to UK this next year and visit, but having read the blogs, it sounds run down.
sorry luv, it was on chapel walk, not change alley

Harry Fentons became just 'Fentons' I believe - used to shop in there late 70's/ early 80's.

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/topic/8840-chapel-walk/

This link might be of interest to you all.

Richards on the corner - that's a blast from the past !http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s27481&pos=105&action=zoom&id=29886

Edited by Daven