Husband & Company..

Did anyone work at Husband & Company in the late 50/60s it was the Architects building top of West Street ? they were commissioned to build the bridge for The Bridge on the river Kwai film in 1957, my Mom was the tea lady there, cleaner, jack of all trades in the end, we had a flat on the top floor for a few years.

On the 8th of September 1949 Charles Husband met Bernard Lovell in a muddy field in Cheshire. From that meeting Husband went on to design the giant 250ft radio telescope at Jodrell Bank.

On the 8th of September 1949 Charles Husband met Bernard Lovell in a muddy field in Cheshire. From that meeting Husband went on to design the giant 250ft radio telescope at Jodrell Bank.

Yes a giant photograph of this was in their reception area.

Were they not on Glossop Road, just opposite the back of the students' union building?

Were they not on Glossop Road, just opposite the back of the students' union building?

Yes thats where the firm was.

388 Glossop Road from memory! I was there before the new office block was built & moved on about 1960. Don't remember a tea lady though.... we had to make our own & took it in turns to go into the ground floor kitchen twice a day. The lads upstairs had coffee, some of the girls had Oxo. I got it wrong once & put their Oxo into our saucepan of milk. It looked like coffee, but it wasn't appreciated. Cost me two pints of milk that day & we'd got to fetch it from the shops above Wilkinson St.

388 Glossop Road from memory! I was there before the new office block was built & moved on about 1960. Don't remember a tea lady though.... we had to make our own & took it in turns to go into the ground floor kitchen twice a day. The lads upstairs had coffee, some of the girls had Oxo. I got it wrong once & put their Oxo into our saucepan of milk. It looked like coffee, but it wasn't appreciated. Cost me two pints of milk that day & we'd got to fetch it from the shops above Wilkinson St.

Yes Glossop rd, I got mixed up with WestSt and Glossop. My Mother and I lived in the flat on the top floor for a couple of years, that could have been either before or after your time there.

Has anyone got a picture of Charles Husband?? I have been searching for one but I have been unable to find one.

Has anyone got a picture of Charles Husband?? I have been searching for one but I have been unable to find one.

Wasn't it owned by the Father and his two sons ?

The tea lady started after you left. Around 1963 - 64 I think. She started a canteen on the top floor for the staff.

Wasn't it owned by the Father and his two sons ?

Yes the father was Charles Husband and I believe one of his sons was called Richard.

I worked very closely with Husband & Co between 1972 and 1976. They were the consulting architects/engineers for us at British Steel research Labs ( was BISRA) at Hoyle Street, in the building of new labs at Middlesbrough which over half of us were to move up to work in.

Mr C. N. Kington ( ex BISRA Hoyle Street) was the partner in charge and John Littler was the architect. There were others too on the services side but I can't remember their names.

I spent a lot of time at their offices in meetings. I am fairly certain that at that time, Richard Husband was the senior partner.

I think they were also the consultants for the original BISRA buildings at Hoyle Street.

John