Sheffield Forum

Pret a Manger coming to Fargate

Home > Sheffield > Going out in Sheffield

Reply To Topic

21-09-2017, 22:34   #21
hackey lad

Total Posts: 2,223
Will be a reight laugh at closing time when all the (ahem) homeless people are there for the freebies
09-11-2017, 20:27   #22
AmberLeaf

Total Posts: 1,062
Walked past it today. It looks better being something than it being an empty building. Can't see me ever going in tho. Too pricey!
_______
I'm here for my ballet classes, and I must warn you, I look damn good in a tutu.
09-11-2017, 21:17   #23
taxman

Total Posts: 20,536
Send a message via MSN to taxman
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
dont worry, it'll close after a week because Sheffielders will complain it's too expensive
Too true, if Joe Bloggs can make a cheese sandwich on white bread for 80p I'm not spending £3.99 on a free range chicken, salad and herb dressing baguette.

You'll be telling me there are pints of beer in Sheffield that cost over £2.60 next.
_______
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

I am no longer Taxman!
10-11-2017, 09:47   #24
pss60

Total Posts: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
Too true, if Joe Bloggs can make a cheese sandwich on white bread for 80p I'm not spending £3.99 on a free range chicken, salad and herb dressing baguette.

You'll be telling me there are pints of beer in Sheffield that cost over £2.60 next.
True. The mentality of much of South Yorkshire goes something like: "Who needs the likes of Gaucho, San Carlo etc when we've got Wetherspoons?" It'll be the same with Pret.
10-11-2017, 09:55   #25
AmberLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by pss60 View Post
True. The mentality of much of South Yorkshire goes something like: "Who needs the likes of Gaucho, San Carlo etc when we've got Wetherspoons?" It'll be the same with Pret.
Good old Wetherspoons, where you can get totally trashed, for less, lol. And where it's clientele can vary from pub to pub.
_______
I'm here for my ballet classes, and I must warn you, I look damn good in a tutu.
10-11-2017, 10:16   #26
makapaka

Total Posts: 2,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by pss60 View Post
No - that's not true.

It's just a popular myth that people have the viewpoint.

I can just imagine the sales and marketing team at pret - awash with data and research on Sheffield - saying

"well no one in Sheffield is ever going to pay £3 for a sandwich but what the hell - lets spend £'000's on opening a brand new shop there anyway"
10-11-2017, 12:10   #27
avalunche

Total Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by makapaka View Post
"well no one in Sheffield is ever going to pay £3 for a sandwich but what the hell - lets spend £'000's on opening a brand new shop there anyway"
Many shops open and then close. Running a business is hard in a city that has a large number of poor, be they students or locals. People with cash prefer the bigger choice at Meadowhall, no beggars, or people doing surveys, chuggers, all under cover, and free parking.

I was quite surprised to see Hotel Chocolat open in town, and time will tell if it stays there especially after Thorntons have reduced their number of shops.
10-11-2017, 12:19   #28
makapaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalunche View Post
Many shops open and then close. Running a business is hard in a city that has a large number of poor, be they students or locals. People with cash prefer the bigger choice at Meadowhall, no beggars, or people doing surveys, chuggers, all under cover, and free parking.

I was quite surprised to see Hotel Chocolat open in town, and time will tell if it stays there especially after Thorntons have reduced their number of shops.
You may be right - but for the moment Iíll trust their judgement and see how it goes.
10-11-2017, 12:36   #29
AmberLeaf

Quote:

I'm glad Hotel Chocolat opened a shop in town. I love their chocolates. But I also love Thorntons chocolates too!
_______
10-11-2017, 16:09   #30
ultracynic

Total Posts: 506
Quote:
I would say people with cash prefer Manchester or Leeds over Meadowhall and don't care about parking costs.
10-11-2017, 17:07   #31
EFCMatt

Total Posts: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracynic View Post
I would say people with cash prefer Manchester or Leeds over Meadowhall and don't care about parking costs.
I prefer to shop online and to go to town, be that Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester or Liverpool to eat and drink.
I think a lot of people seem to shop online now. Not just because of price but because of the far greater choice available on the internet. No shopping centre in the world can compete.
10-11-2017, 17:10   #32
makapaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFCMatt View Post
I prefer to shop online and to go to town, be that Sheffield, Leeds, Manchester or Liverpool to eat and drink.
I think a lot of people seem to shop online now. Not just because of price but because of the far greater choice available on the internet. No shopping centre in the world can compete.
You canít order a Pret A Manger sandwich online though can you?
10-11-2017, 21:26   #33
AmberLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultracynic View Post
I went to Manchester the other week, and really enjoyed it!
_______
11-11-2017, 22:54   #34
kaytie

Total Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFCMatt View Post
Very true! Frankly I dislike Meadowhall - too narrow walkways, too many screaming kids and no fresh air!
12-11-2017, 12:55   #35
AmberLeaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytie View Post
Very true! Frankly I dislike Meadowhall - too narrow walkways, too many screaming kids and no fresh air!
I'm not a fan of it either.
_______
12-11-2017, 13:11   #36
Tim1

Total Posts: 536
I remember when we had a pret in Meadowhall years ago. Just up from the “Choux shop” that was the best cream tea you could ever get!
12-11-2017, 23:21   #37
RickM

Total Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
You forgot the avocado, quinoa and chia seeds.

Gotta admit tho, being a native southerner, I do like their breakfast Panini/Butty things...just bloody expensive.
Reply To Topic