Your message here

The Ale Club - new pub/bottle shop

Home > Sheffield > Going out in Sheffield

Reply To Topic

11-09-2017, 12:33   #1
SpiderPete
Camping Queen

Total Posts: 6,026
Read in Exposed magazine a new pub/bottle shop is opening on Eccy Road in Oct/Nov

Taken over by Brew Foundation and will have 5 cask and 8 keg lines plus 150 bottles

https://www.rmcmedia.co.uk/vibe/food...Ecclesall-Road
_______
After a list of real ale pubs, look no further : http://sheffieldalepubs.co.uk/

Facebook Group Here
12-09-2017, 07:21   #2
slh73

Total Posts: 3,034
Send a message via MSN to slh73
Hope it does well, that part of town could do with somewhere selling decent beer. However, having tried 3 of brew foundations beers, their guests better be good, because theirs arent
12-09-2017, 09:28   #3
jemson

Total Posts: 3,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by slh73 View Post
Hope it does well, that part of town could do with somewhere selling decent beer. However, having tried 3 of brew foundations beers, their guests better be good, because theirs arent
I agree. Another new place though so that`s good. I like the Beer House thereabouts. Press opening Thursday.

Last edited by jemson; 14-11-2017 at 13:16.
02-12-2017, 06:55   #4
Bilge

Total Posts: 2,189
I called in here yesterday. It's excellent. They've made something really good out of a basic featureless shop unit. Plenty of seats, good lighting and decor, nice wooden bar that gives a sense of quality.

I only had time for one pint (Ilkley Pale) but that was very nice. There were several others to choose from plus bottles and cans so most people would find something they want to drink (though no doubt the usual suspects will find some grounds to complain about it).

https://twitter.com/aleclubpub
_______
bilge balderdash baloney claptrap cobblers codswallop drivel hogwash hooey poppycock tosh tripe twaddle
02-12-2017, 12:43   #5
bungleboy69

Total Posts: 637
Popped in last weekend. Had 2 pints with the missus. Very nice little place. Friendly helpful staff with a nice vibe. Well kept beers and a great selection of bottles and cans. Would be nice if the Portland House could stay open and we could have a little (literally) pub crawl with Beer House, Ale Club and Portland House.
02-12-2017, 12:53   #6
ukdobby

Total Posts: 10,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungleboy69 View Post
Popped in last weekend. Had 2 pints with the missus. Very nice little place. Friendly helpful staff with a nice vibe. Well kept beers and a great selection of bottles and cans. Would be nice if the Portland House could stay open and we could have a little (literally) pub crawl with Beer House, Ale Club and Portland House.
Did like the Welbeck beers at PH,shame if it closes.
03-12-2017, 19:04   #7
bungleboy69

Total Posts: 637
Walked past today.. someone thought it would be a good idea to smash the glass in the front door.

Seems the same thing happened at the Itchy Pig micropub at Broomhill a few days ago too...
03-12-2017, 21:20   #8
belperite

Total Posts: 442
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungleboy69 View Post
Walked past today.. someone thought it would be a good idea to smash the glass in the front door.

Seems the same thing happened at the Itchy Pig micropub at Broomhill a few days ago too...
Yes and the Beer House and the Bar Stewards too. What is wrong with someone?
_______
Lurking since 2003!
04-12-2017, 09:45   #9
jemson

Seems really bizarre.
22-12-2017, 17:35   #10
DerbyTup

Total Posts: 3,066
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemson View Post
Seems really bizarre.
It'll be a big brewer that's done it. Someone with an envy of micropubs and good beer.
23-12-2017, 00:15   #11
mr craig
all in

Total Posts: 1,814
Send a message via MSN to mr craig
Wetherspoons splinter group.
23-12-2017, 11:19   #12
Grappler

Total Posts: 7,851
Called in the Ale Club yesterday, first chance to visit, great place and great beers, hope they do well.
_______
The White Rose of Yorkshire, the twin Blades of Sheffield Steel, the club at the heart of the city.
04-01-2018, 10:05   #13
jemson

It does look very good inside and there are some excellent beers on offer. It was very busy when I popped in so not that comfortable but it`ll tick a lot of boxes for a lot of folk, particularly on Eccy Road.
09-01-2018, 11:39   #14
GinTreeS7

Total Posts: 40
I went there the other day about 4pm for a nosey as I was walking past and I was following the guide from sheffieldalepubs.

The service was nice and friendly, the prices not very cheap though.

It has a feeling of a long narrow bar and there was hardly anywhere to sit. The long bench near the bar is not very practical and two small tables might be better if more room could be made.
09-01-2018, 12:42   #15
slh73

Total Posts: 3,034
Send a message via MSN to slh73
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinTreeS7 View Post
I went there the other day about 4pm for a nosey as I was walking past and I was following the guide from sheffieldalepubs.

The service was nice and friendly, the prices not very cheap though.

It has a feeling of a long narrow bar and there was hardly anywhere to sit. The long bench near the bar is not very practical and two small tables might be better if more room could be made.
Cheap isn't always good, you get what you pay for. You want cheap? Go and drink the bland, twiggy water they sell in wetherspoons. If you want your beer to actually taste of something, be prepared to pay a bit more for it
09-01-2018, 13:02   #16
jemson

Quote:
Cheap isn't always good, you get what you pay for. You want cheap? Go and drink the bland, twiggy water they sell in wetherspoons. If you want your beer to actually taste of something, be prepared to pay a bit more for it
Agree. Comfort-wise, I`m not so sure, I`ll need to visit again. Funnily enough, if I`m out for a few beers on me own, I feel less inclined to go to micro-pubs....
10-01-2018, 20:09   #17
ukdobby

Total Posts: 10,866
Was.quite pleased,like the beer house gentleman's club.
11-01-2018, 08:00   #18
DerbyTup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukdobby View Post
Did like the Welbeck beers at PH,shame if it closes.
you are one of a few there mate. I think Welbeck's offerings are very poor and I know from speaking with a number of real ale aficionado's that there's a general consensus that they are poor quality. Their beers have been kicked out of Portland House apparently for that reason. The good news is, if you like them then you'll not find it difficult to find something else you like.
11-01-2018, 08:03   #19
jemson

Agree. Always struggled to drink that stuff / gave up trying.
11-01-2018, 08:03   #20
DerbyTup

Quote:
I'm afraid you're wasting your time explaining that. It's in the genes of Sheffield folk. The price comes into everything. "Arr much is it?" not "How good is it?". Really gets my goat this - but that's why we don't have much "top end" anything in the city (apart from real ale pubs) because local folk won't pay for it.

---------- Post added 11-01-2018 at 08:07 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemson View Post
Agree. Comfort-wise, I`m not so sure, I`ll need to visit again. Funnily enough, if I`m out for a few beers on me own, I feel less inclined to go to micro-pubs....
I know what you mean by that. Sometimes, especially after a frenetic day at work, I just want to go out by myself, have time to reflect on things and not feel obliged to get into some banal conversation around a bar with strangers.

If I'm feeling like that then I'd probably avoid going to a micro pub because it's like being in someone's own home and you can't really avoid a conversation in such places. There are many other times though when I'm happy to along and get into conversation with folks I don't know. The Beer House on Ecclesall Road is a very friendly place - it usually has some interesting local beers too - although I don't bother going in there during the week as they only put the stronger beers on at weekends for some reason.
Reply To Topic