Sheffield Trams

I'm sure these may have been posted before but I stumbled across them on YouTube, I have never seen them and any thread on Sheffield Trams was 10 years old.

I'm sure these may have been posted before but I stumbled across them on YouTube, I have never seen them and any thread on Sheffield Trams was 10 years old.

Yes they have been on before illuminati, however it's lovely to look at them again. :)

Thanks, Peter.

Edited by PeterR

Thanks for posting the tram pictures.

I've been searching for a picture/photo of the tram shed that was on the corner of Weedon St

and Brightside Lane in early 1900s. I can't find anything on Picture Sheffield or Sheffield History. Can anyone help. Thanks.

Never saw these before. Didn't know they even existed.

That was my ride to work!

Thanks!

Thanks for posting the tram pictures.

I've been searching for a picture/photo of the tram shed that was on the corner of Weedon St

and Brightside Lane in early 1900s. I can't find anything on Picture Sheffield or Sheffield History. Can anyone help. Thanks.

I don't think there was ever a tram depot at that end of Weedon Street, Tinsley depot was at the other end of Weedon Street, the Attercliffe Common end and was the first depot built for the Sheffield Tramways Company in 1874.

Here is a list of all Sheffield depots ---------

Tinsley depot - Heeley depot - Nether Edge depot - Queens Road works - Shoreham Street depot - Crookes depot - Tenter Street depot - Holme Lane depot.

Weedon Street/Brightside Lane

There was a horse tram depot there, next door to the Bridge Inn

Did the electric trams terminate there for a time because of the low bridge?

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Weedon Street/Brightside Lane

There was a horse tram depot there, next door to the Bridge Inn

Did the electric trams terminate there for a time because of the low bridge?

A 1950's photo by H B Priestley in "Sheffield Corporation Tramways" (page 23) by Kenneth Gandy shows two Bridge obstructions for double-deck electric cars. An intention to complete a loop round to Tinsley shed was abandoned in 1905. Apparently a new Brightside Bridge over the River Don would have been needed.

Map of the tram depot at Brightside Lane/Weedon Street

Tram depot does not appear in the 1905 map and the tram track has been shortened to be south of the railway track

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Map of the tram depot at Brightside Lane/Weedon Street

Tram depot does not appear in the 1905 map and the tram track has been shortened to be south of the railway track

Well found, thank you, though I use NLS a lot I have never seen that on a map. This information needs adding to a lot of sites dealing with Sheffield Tramways.

This is probably why its not on the 1905 map, newly constructed bridge ----------- http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s20351&pos=5&action=zoom&id=22861

Edited by Boginspro

The Weedon Street /Brightside lane tram depot was for the horse trams.

At some stage a new bridge was built into Jessops' works.

On electrification the tram depot was no longer required and the new bridge was too low for the double deckers so the tracks were shortened.

In the following photographs/maps from Sheffield History you can see the electric tram terminus and a waiting room(shed to the locals) together with the (replacement?)building on the horse tram depot site. The Bridge Inn was to its immediate right(out of sight).

Picture Sheffield shows the gap to the left which was the site of the horse tram depot where Voldy picture shows the horse tram on the road outside.

Edited by Annie Bynnol

Hi All,

Below is a link to a Picture Sheffield pic of Vulcan Road.

I used to travel to my then girlfriends house in Bramley near Rotherham from Shiregreen in the early 1960s

I would go down Jenkin Road on my Lambretta, along a short stretch of Meadowhall Road and then Weedon Street, Sheffield Road and then up Bawtry Road.

I recall coming back via Vulcan Road for a change sometimes. Did it bear round to the left after the bridge on the pic onto what is now Meadow Hall Way and exit onto Meadow Hall Road or did it exit at Weedon Street from what is now Meadowhall Drive? I can't remember after all those years :huh:

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s27241&pos=26&action=zoom&id=29651

http://picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s27241&prevUrl=

Regards, Peter.

Edited by PeterR