Street parking at night

Any one recall when a car parked on a street during the hours of darkness, of course the car lights weren't left on but were replaced by a light that sort if half hung out of (supposed closed) window that was nearest the centre of the road. The device was plugged into the 'cig lighter' (another long gone aperture I suppose). I saw it in the 60's but how long did this inane regulation go on ?

Yes parking lights. Cars didn't have fag lighters then, I think the lead was crocodile clipped to the battery. The light was oval shaped, one half red, and it clipped on to the driver's side window. Don't remember when they finished.

This was a requirement from way before the 60's. A small lamp, showing red to traffic in the same lane, and white to the oncoming traffic, was hung by means of a clip over the top of the window, which was then wound up. Usually the drivers side window if the car was parked on the 'correct' side of the street. No such thing as cigarette lighters in most of the older cars, so had to be wired directly to the battery. I was even woken up one night by a bobby because the light attached to my scooter had gone out. This requirement was in effect at least until 1967 when I left the U.K.

This was a requirement from way before the 60's. A small lamp, showing red to traffic in the same lane, and white to the oncoming traffic, was hung by means of a clip over the top of the window, which was then wound up. Usually the drivers side window if the car was parked on the 'correct' side of the street. No such thing as cigarette lighters in most of the older cars, so had to be wired directly to the battery. I was even woken up one night by a bobby because the light attached to my scooter had gone out. This requirement was in effect at least until 1967 when I left the U.K.

Yes that's right, two different coloured light's and connected to the battery -I was getting ahead of myself there with fag lighter, so that left the bonnet exposed somewhat I assume, As for 'bobbies' coming to the door for such an infraction ? There could now be gunfire in the street and they would be there in 20 minutes. In the words of the very unfunny Arthur Askey "Doesn't it make you want to spit ?". Thanks Jim and jmdee.

Edited by stpetre
Add

I've got one in my garage. It was there when we moved into this house along with other random car parts from the sixties and seventies.

Yes that's right, two different coloured light's and connected to the battery -I was getting ahead of myself there with fag lighter, so that left the bonnet exposed somewhat I assume, As for 'bobbies' coming to the door for such an infraction ? There could now be gunfire in the street and they would be there in 20 minutes. In the words of the very unfunny Arthur Askey "Doesn't it make you want to spit ?". Thanks Jim and jmdee.

I think that they were introduced because in those days the street lights were much dimmer and probably spaced further apart. The idea was that the parked vehicle could be seen better; although, in themselves, the parking lights were pretty poor. Nowadays there are certainly roads which are illuminated which weren't in the '60s.

Bonnets were opened from the outside of the car with a simple catch. No locking devices then, like we have now.

echo.

Never know they might bring them back in Lincolnshire as the street lights are turned off at Midnight to save money

On roads with 30!speed limit did not need parking lights!but all other roads did I do not know if it is still in force, once road comes to mind is ecclesfield Rd,also you could not park within yards of the curve of a junction.

Any one recall when a car parked on a street during the hours of darkness, of course the car lights weren't left on but were replaced by a light that sort if half hung out of (supposed closed) window that was nearest the centre of the road. The device was plugged into the 'cig lighter' (another long gone aperture I suppose). I saw it in the 60's but how long did this inane regulation go on ?

Still in use in mid 70s as I recall our neighbour getting charged with not having his on and it was parked on a side road not a main road.

Still in use in mid 70s as I recall our neighbour getting charged with not having his on and it was parked on a side road not a main road.

The 'Bobbies' din't mess abart or miss a trick back then.