Sheffield Forum

The Old House closed down? Now reopened/renamed

Home > Sheffield > Going out in Sheffield

Reply To Topic
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
13-08-2017, 14:46   #1
Pecky
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Total Posts: 2
Just saw some work being done on the Old House bar near Devonshire Green. The Facebook and Twitter accounts are gone. Does anyone know what happened or what's taking its place?
  Reply With Quote
13-08-2017, 15:00   #2
taxman
Registered User
taxman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Walkley
Total Posts: 20,464
Send a message via MSN to taxman
Just having a paint job and being renamed The Devonshire
_______
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.
  Reply With Quote
13-08-2017, 15:03   #3
Pecky
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2017
Total Posts: 2
Same management then?
  Reply With Quote
14-08-2017, 00:03   #4
Andy C
Registered User
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Total Posts: 8,301
Social media accounts still there but renamed. As above a refurbishment and change of name, still True North Brewery owned.
  Reply With Quote
14-08-2017, 12:24   #5
tinfoilhat
Registered User
tinfoilhat's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2011
Total Posts: 13,494
So, contrary to popular belief, someone has found time to fix the shingles, found time to fix the floor, oil hinges and mend window panes.
_______
We get the world we deserve.
  Reply With Quote
14-08-2017, 18:19   #6
Olive
Registered User
Olive's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Total Posts: 1,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoilhat View Post
So, contrary to popular belief, someone has found time to fix the shingles, found time to fix the floor, oil hinges and mend window panes.
Bum tish. Very good.
  Reply With Quote
16-08-2017, 12:05   #7
shpoolx
Registered User
 
Joined: Sep 2006
Total Posts: 254
It's going to be renamed The Devonshire

http://www.rmcmedia.co.uk/vibe/food-...The-Devonshire
  Reply With Quote
19-08-2017, 21:39   #8
Dan_Ashcroft
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Total Posts: 1,907
Most people still seem to call it The Halcyon anyway
_______
Here is the paradox: the Victorians built for profit and created communities, while now the planners build for a caring society and create ghettos.
  Reply With Quote
25-08-2017, 12:41   #9
snuggles
Registered User
 
Joined: May 2005
Total Posts: 81
Has it re-opened yet? Walked past the other day and it nearly looked ready.
  Reply With Quote
26-08-2017, 01:13   #10
gazza c
Registered User
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Total Posts: 246
walked into the pub on Wednesday evening for a pint with my mate, before we could get to the bar a member of staff said we arent open yet, but when I looked round loads of people where sat down having something to eat, so a bit puzzled by this, unless a select few had been chosen to test the new menu?
  Reply With Quote
07-09-2017, 12:17   #11
jemson
Registered User
jemson's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: S8.
Total Posts: 3,005
It is open now isn`t it? Anyone been?

The official opening is next Friday, I believe.
  Reply With Quote
07-09-2017, 12:21   #12
DnAuK
Registered User
DnAuK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Barnsley
Total Posts: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemson View Post
It is open now isn`t it? Anyone been?

The official opening is next Friday, I believe.
I've seen the inside. They have done a Dev Cat job on it. IE turned it into a cocktail bar. Well... MORE of a cocktail bar. It already pretty much was one.
_______
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and then you will lose on experience.
  Reply With Quote
07-09-2017, 12:31   #13
SpiderPete
Camping Queen
SpiderPete's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Location: Hyde Park
Total Posts: 6,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemson View Post
It is open now isn`t it? Anyone been?

The official opening is next Friday, I believe.

Its been open for a couple of weeks.

went in recently and noticed a lot of green paint everywhere, the records on the wall, which I liked have all gone.

New tables and chairs to sit on.

As DnAUk said it does feel more of a cocktail bar and food place, which it was already.

Ale pumps have reduced from 6 to 4, 3 of those had True North on and 1 guest beer.

I cannot understand why the name change though, don't see the point.
_______
After a list of real ale pubs, look no further : http://sheffieldalepubs.co.uk/

Facebook Group Here
  Reply With Quote
07-09-2017, 13:28   #14
jemson
Registered User
jemson's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: S8.
Total Posts: 3,005
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderPete View Post
Its been open for a couple of weeks.

went in recently and noticed a lot of green paint everywhere, the records on the wall, which I liked have all gone.

New tables and chairs to sit on.

As DnAUk said it does feel more of a cocktail bar and food place, which it was already.

Ale pumps have reduced from 6 to 4, 3 of those had True North on and 1 guest beer.

I cannot understand why the name change though, don't see the point.
The name change was aimed to revert back to its former identity. Some folk seem to think it`ll get confused with the Dev Cat; personally, I don`t see why, really. Those records on the wall had been there for 10 years or something like that but I`ll reserve judgement until I visit. TN usually know what they`re doing imho.
  Reply With Quote
08-09-2017, 12:19   #15
DnAuK
Registered User
DnAuK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Barnsley
Total Posts: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemson View Post
The name change was aimed to revert back to its former identity. Some folk seem to think it`ll get confused with the Dev Cat; personally, I don`t see why, really. Those records on the wall had been there for 10 years or something like that but I`ll reserve judgement until I visit. TN usually know what they`re doing imho.
Maybe the point is to get it confused with the Dev Cat. It certainly looks rather similar now! The bar area at least.
_______
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and then you will lose on experience.
  Reply With Quote
15-09-2017, 11:01   #16
jemson
Registered User
jemson's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: S8.
Total Posts: 3,005
Official opening for The Devonshire tonight. I can understand that folk are sceptical about the Dev Cat because of what it looks like inside now but the beer! wow
  Reply With Quote
18-09-2017, 12:21   #17
DnAuK
Registered User
DnAuK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Barnsley
Total Posts: 1,426
Went in on Saturday. I will retract my comment that it is now a cocktail bar. More of a tea room. Keg beers that were on were OK. The cask that a mate got was decidedly ropey. Being BlackJack we put that down to condition rather than the beer itself. Bit of a poor show for a brewery tap.
_______
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and then you will lose on experience.
  Reply With Quote
18-09-2017, 12:35   #18
makapaka
Registered User
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Total Posts: 2,051
Status: Online
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnAuK View Post
Went in on Saturday. I will retract my comment that it is now a cocktail bar. More of a tea room. Keg beers that were on were OK. The cask that a mate got was decidedly ropey. Being BlackJack we put that down to condition rather than the beer itself. Bit of a poor show for a brewery tap.
Wow I'm amazed you don't like it......it's almost like you'd made your mind up before going in.....
  Reply With Quote
18-09-2017, 13:49   #19
DnAuK
Registered User
DnAuK's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2013
Location: Barnsley
Total Posts: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by makapaka View Post
Wow I'm amazed you don't like it......it's almost like you'd made your mind up before going in.....
If I had done that then I wouldn't have gone in, now, would I? Come on...work it out... You aren't that thick, surely?

Be interesting to see what you think of it.
_______
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and then you will lose on experience.
  Reply With Quote
18-09-2017, 15:36   #20
jemson
Registered User
jemson's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: S8.
Total Posts: 3,005
I liked it. TBH , it`s not my sort of place at all but I can appreciate the attention to detail and the thought that has gone into the refurb. I had a few pints of Great Heck which was fine and in decent nick whilst the OH had a load of lovingly made cocktails. Nice staff too.
  Reply With Quote
Reply To Topic

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:56.
POSTS ON THIS FORUM ARE NOT ACTIVELY MONITORED
Click "Report Post" under any post which may breach our terms of use.
©2002-2017 Sheffield Forum | Powered by vBulletin ©2017

Nimbus Server