Sheffield Forum
Your message here

Crosspool pub guide

Home > Sheffield > Going out in Sheffield

Reply To Topic

06-08-2017, 20:53   #1
Bilge

Total Posts: 2,072
I thought I would review the pubs of Crosspool starting today and we can edit this guide as, hopefully, things improve. Based on tonight here is the current chart:

1. Sportsman
2. Crosspool Tavern
3. Plough (actually it's disqualified as it's currently shut, but hopefully it's due to reopen soon)

Compared to the pubs of neighbouring Crookes/Crookesmoor or Ranmoor/Nether Green or Broomhill, the 2 in Crosspool are frankly not great. But that's suburbia for you I guess.

The Sportsman is actually pretty good now for what it is. It's been refurbished to a good standard and it does what it does (Ember Inns eating place) very well. Jaipur on hand pump (2.50 on a Monday, 3.70 otherwise) and a few others which seem OK.

Crosspool Tavern is a fairly tired carvery/cheapo meals place. It's due a refurb. Beers tonight are a good Black Sheep or Doom Bar. The other night it was Black Sheep only. So not a great beer place.

The Plough is still shut of course and, rather like a footballer on the bench while the team underperforms, becomes better in retrospect. It could be a great beer-lovers place if it ever reopens. A 'proper pub'. I hope so. Crosspool needs one.
_______
bilge balderdash baloney cobblers codswallop drivel hogwash hooey poppycock tosh tripe twaddle

Last edited by Bilge; 06-08-2017 at 21:05.
06-08-2017, 22:04   #2
makapaka

Total Posts: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge View Post
I thought I would review the pubs of Crosspool starting today and we can edit this guide as, hopefully, things improve. Based on tonight here is the current chart:

1. Sportsman
2. Crosspool Tavern
3. Plough (actually it's disqualified as it's currently shut, but hopefully it's due to reopen soon)

Compared to the pubs of neighbouring Crookes/Crookesmoor or Ranmoor/Nether Green or Broomhill, the 2 in Crosspool are frankly not great. But that's suburbia for you I guess.

The Sportsman is actually pretty good now for what it is. It's been refurbished to a good standard and it does what it does (Ember Inns eating place) very well. Jaipur on hand pump (2.50 on a Monday, 3.70 otherwise) and a few others which seem OK.

Crosspool Tavern is a fairly tired carvery/cheapo meals place. It's due a refurb. Beers tonight are a good Black Sheep or Doom Bar. The other night it was Black Sheep only. So not a great beer place.

The Plough is still shut of course and, rather like a footballer on the bench while the team underperforms, becomes better in retrospect. It could be a great beer-lovers place if it ever reopens. A 'proper pub'. I hope so. Crosspool needs one.
I think Crosspool is crying out for a good drinking pub - that caters more for people going for a drink rather than food.

I think if someone took a chance - maybe on the empty Aligarh restaurant or similar selling decent beer / lagers it would do well.

If it had that people would tag the sportsman and tavern on to a bit of a beer circuit. I think the Plough could be ok - bit of a trek out of crosspool shops to there tho.

Agree re the Crosspool tavern - we sometimes go for the carvery but the last time I went in on a night it was quiet and didn't stop long.

The Sportsman could be great if they spruced it up a bit maybe in the style of the York in Broomhill or something - its a bit too much like a cinema lobby for me.
07-08-2017, 08:54   #3
Bilge

The Tavern has the best location of the 3 and wouldn't take much effort to make into a decent pub.
_______
bilge balderdash baloney cobblers codswallop drivel hogwash hooey poppycock tosh tripe twaddle
07-08-2017, 09:19   #4
Magneteer

Total Posts: 622
As a general rule, the only decent pubs nowadays tend to be "free-houses" I believe the ones in Crosspool are tied and as such you are stuck with their company ethos. A good example of a well run free-house is say the Wisewood Inn serving great food and an extensive range of quality beers priced well below that of a tied house. They can choose themselves what to sell rather than being dictated to by some pubco and you are unlikely to ever see mediocre offerings such as DoomBar on sale.
07-08-2017, 09:25   #5
makapaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magneteer View Post
As a general rule, the only decent pubs nowadays tend to be "free-houses" I believe the ones in Crosspool are tied and as such you are stuck with their company ethos. A good example of a well run free-house is say the Wisewood Inn serving great food and an extensive range of quality beers priced well below that of a tied house. They can choose themselves what to sell rather than being dictated to by some pubco and you are unlikely to ever see mediocre offerings such as DoomBar on sale.
I agree to an extent but there are still decent tied pubs around elsewhere so it's not a full excuse.
07-08-2017, 17:52   #6
WalkleyIan

Total Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by makapaka View Post
I think Crosspool is crying out for a good drinking pub - that caters more for people going for a drink rather than food.

Was talking about Crosspool to a couple of owners of existing watering holes in the Walkey and Commonside area (including the outgoing manager of the Closed Shop).

General feeling coming through is though there is an awful lot of money in Crosspool people tend not to spend it going out to pubs.

Good luck to those trying to get the Plough sorted but it seems some folks were more driven by their desire to block Sainsbury's than their demand for a community pub.
07-08-2017, 18:55   #7
Route274

Total Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkleyIan View Post
Was talking about Crosspool to a couple of owners of existing watering holes in the Walkey and Commonside area (including the outgoing manager of the Closed Shop).

General feeling coming through is though there is an awful lot of money in Crosspool people tend not to spend it going out to pubs.

Good luck to those trying to get the Plough sorted but it seems some folks were more driven by their desire to block Sainsbury's than their demand for a community pub.
Someone is more than a bit wrong there!

The currently dreadful Tavern is closing for a full refurb in a few weeks.....Be better of knocking it down and starting again in my view.
08-08-2017, 09:51   #8
Bilge

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkleyIan View Post

It's chicken and egg though to an extent. If there were good pubs to spend money in then maybe the locals would use them. As long as I can remember there hasn't been one so people go elsewhere.
_______
08-08-2017, 12:04   #9
AndyP728

Total Posts: 160
The Plough makes me laugh.

The locals didn't care for it one jot, yet now they are kicking up a fuss bout it.

#S10Culture
08-08-2017, 15:20   #10
andrejuan

Total Posts: 2,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyP728 View Post

The locals didn't care for it one jot, yet now they are kicking up a fuss bout it.

#S10Culture
Exactly, locals in all areas want their pubs to stay open so they can go in once a year. If pubs were busy and supported by locals they would seldom shut down.
_______
audi alteram partem
08-08-2017, 22:32   #11
WestTinsley

Total Posts: 860
Quote:

#S10Culture
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrejuan View Post
Exactly, locals in all areas want their pubs to stay open so they can go in once a year. If pubs were busy and supported by locals they would seldom shut down.
Some sweeping comments there.from the all knowings.

Closing of pubs is much more than "people arent using them as in the past"
Turning pubs into flats, coops or whatever seems to be on the increase for various reasons. 21 pubs a week are closed down each week ..
The Broadfield among others was a dump for years until it was done up as a real ale house ...look at it now
Worth a Read
http://www.camra.org.uk/save-our-pubs-forum
10-08-2017, 20:58   #12
kaytie

Total Posts: 294
I dislike and consequently don't drink English beer. Wish there was a bit more emphasis on wines in these kind of reviews.
10-08-2017, 20:59   #13
makapaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaytie View Post
I dislike and consequently don't drink English beer. Wish there was a bit more emphasis on wines in these kind of reviews.
What do you mean - you'd like a wine bar instead?
19-08-2017, 21:34   #14
Dan_Ashcroft

Total Posts: 1,917
Quote:

#S10Culture
400 locals have just chipped in 250+ each to buy the Plough as a community pub. That's putting your money where your mouth is. They only didn't care for it before because it was badly run for so long.

The problem with Crosspool pubs has been that all 3 of them have been badly run or are too downmarket, so everyone just walks down the hill to the Rising Sun or Ranmoor Inn
_______
Here is the paradox: the Victorians built for profit and created communities, while now the planners build for a caring society and create ghettos.
24-08-2017, 22:31   #15
Bilge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Ashcroft View Post
400 locals have just chipped in 250+ each to buy the Plough as a community pub. That's putting your money where your mouth is. They only didn't care for it before because it was badly run for so long.

The problem with Crosspool pubs has been that all 3 of them have been badly run or are too downmarket, so everyone just walks down the hill to the Rising Sun or Ranmoor Inn
It seems the 'community pub' fund people have failed and another developer has bought it - to turn it back into a pub. So a victory of sorts. Hopefully it'll become a decent boozer soon.
_______
25-08-2017, 12:29   #16
Dan_Ashcroft

Total Posts: 1,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge View Post
It seems the 'community pub' fund people have failed and another developer has bought it - to turn it back into a pub. So a victory of sorts. Hopefully it'll become a decent boozer soon.
True North looking to replicate what they've done with the Broadfield.

They've previously offered to work in partnership with the community group, so it could work out well
_______
Here is the paradox: the Victorians built for profit and created communities, while now the planners build for a caring society and create ghettos.
25-08-2017, 13:10   #17
makapaka

Quote:

They've previously offered to work in partnership with the community group, so it could work out well
Great stuff - that's just what the area needs. Really pleased.
09-09-2017, 07:33   #18
Bilge

Quote:

It doesn't sound like it's them who have bought it. Rumours of property development with token rubbish 'bistro' so they can pretend the pub is reopening, then shut it again when it turns out to have no customers, then hey presto expand residential over the whole site. Maybe a bit like the 'failed' coffee shop at bottom of Lydgate Lane.
_______
27-09-2017, 16:03   #19
SALEX

Total Posts: 5
Sadly the food in the grindstone isn't good anymore
28-09-2017, 07:22   #20
Bilge

Quote:
Originally Posted by SALEX View Post
Sadly...the grindstone...
is in Crookes and therefore off topic on this thread. Thank you.
_______
Reply To Topic