Sheffield Forum

Micro pub Woodseats

Home > Sheffield > Going out in Sheffield

Reply To Topic

11-07-2017, 16:29   #1
DumDom

Total Posts: 343
Just noticed on council planning applications, change of use to what was the card shop ( called Something Special?) to a micro pub , next to newsagents bottom of Woodseats House Road/Chesterfield road.
If passed will make a good addition to Woodseats.
_______
Don't make me walk when I want to fly.
12-07-2017, 09:07   #2
jemson

Total Posts: 3,038
Agree. I think the demand for decent beer is there. I`sure I`m not the only one who jumps ship to Heeley or Dronny to get a proper pint.
12-07-2017, 12:14   #3
SpiderPete
Camping Queen

Total Posts: 6,011
I heard a micro-pub was opening down there, be interesting how well they will do.
_______
After a list of real ale pubs, look no further : http://sheffieldalepubs.co.uk/

Facebook Group Here
21-07-2017, 17:46   #4
DumDom

Now Provisionally approved by council. Would hope to see some work starting soon then.
_______
21-07-2017, 19:59   #5
siwid

Total Posts: 156
Great news, looking forward to this
23-07-2017, 09:42   #6
bassett one

Total Posts: 2,195
I like a nice drop of decent ale,have to call in,when does it open?
_______
lowedges festival sunday august 12th 12noon-5pm
book from jan 2nd 2018
23-07-2017, 11:25   #7
DumDom

No idea but if you want a decent pint of real ale in the meantime pop down Fraser Road to The Ale House ( formerly Sheaf ), just up from Laycocks.

I think it has 5 or 6 real ales at any one time, and it's a proper pub.
_______
02-08-2017, 13:40   #8
jemson

Work appears to have started this week / month.

And the Ale House has some decent beers on at very good prices.
21-09-2017, 10:25   #9
jemson

Due to open next Saturday!
21-09-2017, 12:29   #10
DnAuK

Total Posts: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemson View Post
Due to open next Saturday!
Really? That will be in time for the Cross Scythes beers festival at the end of the month then. Might be worth going out of my way to get there.

Now if only Sheffield people did the same thing and experienced stuff out of their own town, they might find out what good beer really is.
_______
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and then you will lose on experience.
23-09-2017, 07:02   #11
Andy C

Total Posts: 8,339
It's called Guzzle and opens Saturday 30th September at 1pm. More info likely to be found on their Facebook page.

Buses 19, 24, 25, 43, 44, 75, 76 and X17 stop pretty much outside (Woodseats Library/KFC stop)

---------- Post added 23-09-2017 at 07:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DnAuK View Post
Really? That will be in time for the Cross Scythes beers festival at the end of the month then. Might be worth going out of my way to get there.

Now if only Sheffield people did the same thing and experienced stuff out of their own town, they might find out what good beer really is.
The irony of someone from Barnsley saying that isn't lost on me!

Incidentally didn't know about Cross Scythes having a beer festival.

Last edited by Andy C; 23-09-2017 at 07:08.
29-09-2017, 12:15   #12
jemson

Looks nice from outside. Lots of work gone on there over past fortnight. Hopes are high for me as it`s 300 yds from home.

---------- Post added 02-10-2017 at 09:33 ----------

Anyone get there?
10-10-2017, 13:39   #13
Tess
The game.

Total Posts: 8,280
Popped in last week - its a lovely little place. And for those who don't like ale they have a few wines and a prosecco on tap. Happy days. Good luck to the owner and his family, thank you for bringing something actually nice to Woodseats!
_______
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, with a body thoroughly used up and totally worn out, screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride!"
10-10-2017, 14:37   #14
jemson

Agree. Seems really good and a massive positive for Woodseats.
10-10-2017, 16:30   #15
DumDom

Went in on Saturday late afternoon, quite a lot of people in. Agree with Tess, it's great that it caters for non ale drinkers, saw a few with wines, prosecco, cider etc.
I think it's a fab addition to Woodseats and I think it will do well.
Wish it did a few bar snacks things, if they do I must not have seen them, other than that I really like it.
_______
11-10-2017, 21:09   #16
Tess
The game.

Total Posts: 8,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumDom View Post
Went in on Saturday late afternoon, quite a lot of people in. Agree with Tess, it's great that it caters for non ale drinkers, saw a few with wines, prosecco, cider etc.
I think it's a fab addition to Woodseats and I think it will do well.
Wish it did a few bar snacks things, if they do I must not have seen them, other than that I really like it.
I think they had a few bag of Yorkshire Crisps behind the bar
_______
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, with a body thoroughly used up and totally worn out, screaming "Woo Hoo what a ride!"
04-11-2017, 11:22   #17
DerbyTup

Total Posts: 2,910
thanks to the folks on here I learned about this new place and tried it this week. It's very nice. They've done a good job of the bar area and it's bigger inside than what it appears from the outside.

They had a good "range" of beers on cask. And when I say "range" I'm referring to different styles and strengths. This is really important to me.

My preference is for a strong IPA type beer, minimum 5%, but preferably more like 6% or 7%. I find it exasperating when I go in a pub and they've got half a dozen or more beer pumps but everyone one of them has got very similar styles and strengths of beer.

They only have 5 cask ale pumps in Guzzle if I recall, but they'd got a really nice mix of light and dark beers ranging in strength from session ale type 3.8% to 5%. So, a bit of something for everyone - I hope they will continue to try and manage the range of beers similarly - and hopefully get something a bit more daring on at the strong end, 6% or more. The location can cope with that. What I mean is, sometimes if you've got a remote country pub where folks need to drive to get there, the really strong beers don't sell well, but in a suburban location like Woodseats that shouldn't be an issue.

I didn't notice any bar snacks myself. I'd agree with another on here when they say that would be a good addition - providing they are quality. A good quality pork pie, sausage roll, Scotch egg, would be a treat.
Reply To Topic