Sheffield Forum

Another new bar - The Old Workshop, Neepsend

Home > Sheffield > Going out in Sheffield

Reply To Topic

16-06-2017, 13:28   #1
taxman

Total Posts: 20,468
Send a message via MSN to taxman
A new bar opens to the public tonight in Neepsend. It's a joint venture and involves Tom from The Beer Engine so it might be good.

Article about it in Exposed here
_______
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.
16-06-2017, 13:32   #2
DnAuK

Total Posts: 1,426
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
A new bar opens to the public tonight in Neepsend. It's a joint venture and involves Tom from The Beer Engine so it might be good.

Article about it in Exposed here
Yeah I know Tom and have seen pics of the interior, Looks good. Sadly won't make it there for a couple of weeks tho. So be interested to know what people think.
_______
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and then you will lose on experience.
26-06-2017, 15:42   #3
philyyy

Total Posts: 865
I went in here yesterday. I liked it. It's very light and airy(No idea why I'm using those words to describe a pub but they are the ones that come to mind).

I don't drink ale so can't comment on the booze options from that angle but they sell Aspalls which is the one of the better options for mainstream ciders.

It was very relaxed. Feels a bit like the sort of place trendy cities have had for a while but we've not really had. Mixture of clientelle just sitting around doing talking.
26-06-2017, 18:45   #4
SpiderPete
Camping Queen

Total Posts: 6,007
I went in recently and its definitely a after work place, no casks at all and they have about 7ish keg lines, not that inspiring to be honest, but things might change in a few weeks.
_______
After a list of real ale pubs, look no further : http://sheffieldalepubs.co.uk/

Facebook Group Here
27-06-2017, 08:05   #5
DnAuK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderPete View Post
I went in recently and its definitely a after work place, no casks at all and they have about 7ish keg lines, not that inspiring to be honest, but things might change in a few weeks.
Thanks for the tip Pete. Might give it a couple of weeks before I go check it out. Depending on what the weather is doing this weekend.
_______
Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and then you will lose on experience.
27-06-2017, 08:25   #6
philyyy

What is an "after work place"? Can't people go anywhere after work?
27-06-2017, 09:37   #7
jemson

Total Posts: 3,005
There tend to be certain places that people pop into after work due to the proximity to their workplace. Three Tuns always did quite well from the HSBC offices, for example.

This new place was described to me as quite a good `event space`. I `ll get there soon no doubt and I expect the keg lines to be expertly chosen.
27-06-2017, 11:06   #8
DnAuK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemson View Post
There tend to be certain places that people pop into after work due to the proximity to their workplace. Three Tuns always did quite well from the HSBC offices, for example.

This new place was described to me as quite a good `event space`. I `ll get there soon no doubt and I expect the keg lines to be expertly chosen.
Was planning on visiting this weekend, but if this place is not completely off the ground yet then I'm not so sure. Last time around Kelham was disappointing. Shakespeares was OK, as was Welly, but not of a decent range in the rest and, dare I say, the quality of the beer in the Fat Cat was downright ropey!
_______
27-06-2017, 11:38   #9
philyyy

Do you mean not "completely off the ground" as in you'd want cask beers or different keg beers?
29-06-2017, 09:53   #10
jemson

Sheffield beer scene still `dying on its knees` Dan?
29-06-2017, 12:26   #11
SpiderPete
Camping Queen

Quote:
oh gawd don't set him off ... lol

I have heard of a micropub opening in Woodseats... don't know when or where.

Stancill are opening a pub in town centre ... not sure where that is either
_______

Facebook Group Here
29-06-2017, 12:42   #12
DnAuK

Quote:
Aye - it is. Would you like me to go through the list of new bars that have been touted around on this Forum over the last few years, and see how many are still open? DaDa, Anchorage, Hop, West St Ale House, Stone and Taps... they are only the ones that immediately spring to mind.

Plus, did you read what Dave said on the Shakespeare thread? The best of the Sheffield brewers sell more beer in Nottingham than they do in Sheffield. Having been to NCBW last weekend I can tell you it pee'd all over Sheffield Beer Week - something that may now struggle to continue after the loss of SiBA.

As a Sheffielder are you proud of this? Really? I AM a Sheffielder and I am not. I moved back to this area with high expectations a few years ago, and they have all been dashed. Pretty much everyone else I know from outside the city thinks the same way. Just happens that those that inhabit it seem to wear blinkers.

You think that one new bar can make up for this? I've said before that one bar does not a city make. Sheffield may have half a dozen good bars - at a push. Unfortunately even towns like Huddersfield have more than that. As for a new micropub opening in Woodseats, Pete - woooo! Exciting. Barnsley has had 3 new micropubs open in the last 2 months. Well donr for trying to catch up!

Fortunately it's SunFest next weekend. At least that gives me an excuse to come into Sheffield.
_______
29-06-2017, 12:51   #13
makapaka

Total Posts: 2,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnAuK View Post
Aye - it is. Would you like me to go through the list of new bars that have been touted around on this Forum over the last few years, and see how many are still open? DaDa, Anchorage, Hop, West St Ale House, Stone and Taps... they are only the ones that immediately spring to mind.

Plus, did you read what Dave said on the Shakespeare thread? The best of the Sheffield brewers sell more beer in Nottingham than they do in Sheffield. Having been to NCBW last weekend I can tell you it pee'd all over Sheffield Beer Week - something that may now struggle to continue after the loss of SiBA.

As a Sheffielder are you proud of this? Really? I AM a Sheffielder and I am not. I moved back to this area with high expectations a few years ago, and they have all been dashed. Pretty much everyone else I know from outside the city thinks the same way. Just happens that those that inhabit it seem to wear blinkers.

You think that one new bar can make up for this? I've said before that one bar does not a city make. Sheffield may have half a dozen good bars - at a push. Unfortunately even towns like Huddersfield have more than that. As for a new micropub opening in Woodseats, Pete - woooo! Exciting. Barnsley has had 3 new micropubs open in the last 2 months. Well donr for trying to catch up!

Fortunately it's SunFest next weekend. At least that gives me an excuse to come into Sheffield.
"Half a dozen good bars at a push" - just writing off the hundreds of others in the city then.....
29-06-2017, 14:03   #14
jemson

Quote:
Aye - it is. Would you like me to go through the list of new bars that have been touted around on this Forum over the last few years, and see how many are still open?

No but , troll-like I was wondering if you would bite and spout off the usual OTT negativity. Must admit, I rarely struggle to find a decent pint in Sheffield or the surrounding areas.
29-06-2017, 14:59   #15
mr craig
all in

Total Posts: 1,796
Send a message via MSN to mr craig
Quote:
No but , troll-like I was wondering if you would bite and spout off the usual OTT negativity. Must admit, I rarely struggle to find a decent pint in Sheffield or the surrounding areas.
You must enjoy boring beer then.

Just in case anyone was thinking of going down this weekend The Old Workshop is closed due to a leaky roof.
30-06-2017, 08:13   #16
jemson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr craig View Post
You must enjoy boring beer then.

Mebbe. Last week the best beer I could muster was a measly Pineapple IIPA by some jokers called deMolen and the week before it was Stella, Stella 8 by Mikkeller, and it tasted nowt like real wife beater imho.
30-06-2017, 12:17   #17
SpiderPete
Camping Queen

Quote:
Must be drinking in the wrong pubs then

I was out in town last night after a stressful days work and had no problem finding good ales to drink and I went in pubs which don't usually class themselves as ale pubs, the glasses might have been a bit dodgy but I get used to it now.

As for Sheffield Beer Week - has already been said on Twitter it is going ahead and I think it will be much better now SIBA isn't in the way as I ended up missing some events because of this, but I am sure the usual people will be doing their usual "everything is collapsing around us" stuff... yawn. (not aimed at you Jemson)
_______

Facebook Group Here
30-06-2017, 12:55   #18
SteelCityAle

Total Posts: 656
Quote:
Having been to NCBW last weekend I can tell you it pee'd all over Sheffield Beer Week - something that may now struggle to continue after the loss of SiBA.
now that bit I'm not sure I can agree with. Sheffield Beer Week was epic, I tried to be in 2 or 3 places at once and still missed stuff. As for SIBA... the fest itself is no loss, it was a pretty poor event IMO, but what it did contribute was to bring lots of brewers and industry peeps to the city, who then supported and contributed to Beer Week events
30-06-2017, 13:15   #19
EFCMatt

Total Posts: 167
What has happened to the SIBA festival?
30-06-2017, 13:19   #20
SteelCityAle

Total Posts: 656
moved to Liverpool. And apparently trade only, no general public, I think, though I may have made that bit up
Reply To Topic