Which document scanning software does your firm use?

I am looking at document management software options for an insurance company. They scan thousands of documents over the year and need something that will manage the scans, set-up cabinets, drawers and folders and let them move pages around and insert pages easily in pdf format.

They don't want to be able to search the documents or use OCR.

Any thoughts you would like to share? They would be most appreciated.

Hello there,

I work in an IT company. For scanning my company's document I used scan and more. I found it better so you can also try it. Hope you would like my suggestion.

Thanks.

Edited by sheron17
spelling mistake

Wait, they want to use a DMS but not OCR or search? What is the point in scanning the documents? Sounds like a very poor information management strategy to me hence it will be difficult to find a solution.

We use DocuPro on all our AIOs and it works really well but, like almost all standards, outputs in PDF on a scan and therefore will be OCR and search enabled (provided the company uses Adobe Pro Suite).

Care to explain why no OCR/search? Is it to do with the upcoming data protection act changes? If so - be aware that just a scanned version is still considered part of a persons right to claim - ie. if Bob Bridges comes along and wants to see all the documentation you hold on him, you would have to manually go through all those PDFs to ensure his name isn't mentioned.

All in all, makes little sense!

I suspect the OP needs the documents indexed, but not ocr searchable. Currently using INVU to do this at work. It has optional addons for ocr, office integration etc.

It has document workflow, and the ability to check them in/out for updates

---------- Post added 31-08-2017 at 20:23 ----------

This is 5 years old !

Edited by martin6
Additional

The organisation just uses Canon Scan software to upload files to the cloud, nothing specific in terms of organising in your terms of reference.

Take a look here:

http://www.pdfforge.org/pdfarchitect/

My favourite free one on GNU/Linux for personal use is:

https://code-industry.net/ - they offer professional solution too which has to be paid for.

This is an old thread. I ended-up going with Lucion. It allows pdf documents to be broken-up, combined or shuffled and costs under £200. PM me if you want more information.

Post #7 above (Famulenu) reported