Wadsley and Loxley Common

Why do you want to oppose this? The cows are part of a plan to preserve the site as lowland heath - a very valuable habitat.

Maybe they wish to set up a dog boarding business and would like to use the Common to walk their dogs and don't want any pesky fences and regulations about keeping dogs on leads hampering them.

Maybe they wish to set up a dog boarding business and would like to use the Common to walk their dogs and don't want any pesky fences and regulations about keeping dogs on leads hampering them.

Far too many dogs and owners up there which have turned it into Sheffield largest litter tray.

We're all for the cattle plan, what's more important - protecting a scarce habitat or providing one large dog toilet for lazy dog owners who have no respect for the habitat or others wishing to enjoy the area. We live a 5 minute walk from the common but no longer take my toddler there as its full of dog mess & stinks. He can't run about as he has ran/fell in dog muck, its everywhere. Beware lazy dog owners, we are watching you...prepare to be named & shamed.

From a personal point of view, I think I'd rather like to see some Highland cattle on Wadsley Common. But I don't have a dog. I do wonder though how long they'd stay there before somebody rustled them.

Edit: it does however sound as though the main reason behind it is money rather than anything else.

We're all for the cattle plan, what's more important - protecting a scarce habitat or providing one large dog toilet for lazy dog owners who have no respect for the habitat or others wishing to enjoy the area. We live a 5 minute walk from the common but no longer take my toddler there as its full of dog mess & stinks. He can't run about as he has ran/fell in dog muck, its everywhere. Beware lazy dog owners, we are watching you...prepare to be named & shamed.

This is why SF needs a big LIKE button :thumbsup:

Far too many dogs and owners up there which have turned it into Sheffield largest litter tray.

Either by luck or judgement I think you've found the reason why some people are objecting to fences and the imposition of stricter rules about dogs on leads.:)

I always thought that goats were the best for that sort of work

Edited by matsalleh

Either by luck or judgement I think you've found the reason why some people are objecting to fences and the imposition of stricter rules about dogs on leads.:)

Cheers-its pure serendipity

Cheers for the link Taxman:thumbsup: I can't see why anyone can object to cattle being introduced up there.

I've lived within a mile of the common all my life, and the terrain has changed dramatically over the past 20 years or so. It was mainly lowland heath when I was a kid, the "crags" area had very few trees, and there were large swathes of open grassland as you walk up the common from the Wadsley side. I assume years of budget cuts have put paid to the fairly gentle management of the area that used to go on, and given us the overgrown dog-poo paradise we have now. Shame.

Ooh, that's made me feel owd! :rolleyes:

thanks for the info and link to the survey. I voted in favour of the cattle grazing - I think it is a brilliant idea and without this post wouldn't have known anything about it

thanks for the info and link to the survey. I voted in favour of the cattle grazing - I think it is a brilliant idea and without this post wouldn't have known anything about it

Likewise........