A teenager in the 60's.

..............ah the 60's!!! Wonderfull decade. Sunday nights at the lathkill hotel, with Brian Cook and the Vampires. Brian sadly no longer with us. fab fashions and music great time to be a teenager.

Yes, great days scousemouse. Sorry to learn that Brian Cook is no longer with us. As I remember (and that's a big ask) the Vampires line up was Bri Cook on vocals, Don Allison on lead guitar, Colin Boyman on guitar and Ginge Rogers on drums. I believe that Colin has also left us. Don was a damn good guitarist as well as being a smashing lad and often amused us lot at Dobcroft Youth Club with his ditties. I remember in early Vampire days that Brian bought an Austin 7 Ruby for £5 so the group could travel. Lucky to get all four in it let alone instruments as well. Brian chose to go into an insurance job rather than risk the fickle pop market.

Edited by oldrowley

I became a teenager in 1964. It was the best of times. Saw Hendrix and the Who at the city Hall (different times). The Move 3 times and Zappa in Manchester. What a time to be a teenager. What music. I am still going to City Hall to watch my absolute favourite singer Chris Farlowe and others from my teenage years - peace and love :love::love::love:

.........and because Downsunder is too modest to plug his book about life in Sheffield, I'll do it for him. Its called 'Alias Albert Rathbone' and its excellent. I guess you will have to PM him for details.

Thanks HP, you're a legend.

Here's a link.

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p422/rat650/Memoir%20ad._zps9au3habo.jpg

Great to hear your stories,i'm sure we all look back on those times with selective memories but it was special and we had proper childhoods without modern technology when we just went out and played.As teenagers we had a few bob to go out on and joined that music scene that will never be repeated,i'm off to Whitby tomorrow for a 60's weekend who would have thought these groups,although not all original members,would still be earning a crust.

Great to hear your stories,i'm sure we all look back on those times with selective memories but it was special and we had proper childhoods without modern technology when we just went out and played.As teenagers we had a few bob to go out on and joined that music scene that will never be repeated,i'm off to Whitby tomorrow for a 60's weekend who would have thought these groups,although not all original members,would still be earning a crust.

Enjoy your weekend slots. :thumbsup: I would"nt have minded going. hope you"ve got your bee bopping shoes.:hihi:

Yes Jim Hardie you are of course right. It was more like five shillings to see bands like The Who & try & see someone like Rod Stewart for under about $150nowadays. I don't think even the all nighters were even a pound were they? As I said we really were in the right place at the right time sort of thing wern't we? Those days really were the best & the music has never been as good since then, so much so that I often hear my grandkids listening to a song WE used to listen to & they don't believe me when I say "that came out when I was a teenager". The Mojo club (King Mojo Club) was only open for about three years but hey it's still talked, about written about, all these years later which says a lot doesn't it?

Yes Jim Hardie you are of course right. It was more like five shillings to see bands like The Who & try & see someone like Rod Stewart for under about $150nowadays. I don't think even the all nighters were even a pound were they? As I said we really were in the right place at the right time sort of thing wern't we? Those days really were the best & the music has never been as good since then, so much so that I often hear my grandkids listening to a song WE used to listen to & they don't believe me when I say "that came out when I was a teenager". The Mojo club (King Mojo Club) was only open for about three years but hey it's still talked, about written about, all these years later which says a lot doesn't it?

I think 15/- for the Ike and Tina Turner all nighter was the most he ever charged. I really regret not going to that one.

I think 15/- for the Ike and Tina Turner all nighter was the most he ever charged. I really regret not going to that one.

I forgot how much it was for the Hollies who were at number one with 'I'm Alive', when they were at the Mojo in July 1965. Then there was Jimi Hendrix in 1967.

I forgot how much it was for the Hollies who were at number one with 'I'm Alive', when they were at the Mojo in July 1965. Then there was Jimi Hendrix in 1967.

It might have been 6/- or 7/6 for the Hollies. I think it might have been a Sunday night.

I missed Hendrix, another big regret.

It might have been 6/- or 7/6 for the Hollies. I think it might have been a Sunday night.

I missed Hendrix, another big regret.

The Hollies was a Sunday evening. I missed the Jimi Hendrix one also and I only lived ten minutes walk away. Not the he was unheard of in early 1967-just before the Mojo closed- as he had hits: 'Hey Joe', 'Purple Haze' and 'The Wind Cries Mary' by then. Perhaps an all-nighter or ticket only.

I spent so much time at the Mojo I don't think I missed any of the ones you mentioned. Just think back to the bands we had there & we were sooo lucky. I paid over a hundred dollars to see Joe Cocker here in Brisbane years ago. The Who, Rod Stewart, Small Faces, Spencer Davis, the list is endless isn't it?

Not only the bands though in those times, the dancing, the fashion not to mention the Motown music.

There were so many good local bands as well which when playing locally got a good following. So much talent around Sheffield at that time.

Did anyone see Chris Farlowe on Jools 25 yrs. So sad for the guy suffering with Spina Bifida But still a great singer.

Last time I saw the Hollies they were playing to a couple of dozen people at the Fiesta.

---------- Post added 24-09-2017 at 06:20 ----------

One special song Scot McKenzie San Francisco

Remember going on holiday to Rhyl and having a transistor radio attached to my ear listening to Radio Caroline playing San Fransisco all the time.