Sheffield Forum

Another new bar - The Old Workshop, Neepsend

Home > Sheffield > Going out in Sheffield

Reply To Topic

13-07-2017, 09:38   #21
jemson

Total Posts: 3,038
Visited last night. wow. What a great place. Certainly a great spot to be on a nice summer`s evening.
13-07-2017, 18:21   #22
creweblade

Total Posts: 18
im looking forward to giving the Old workshop a go very soon.
i think we have loads of good pubs offering good beer in the city centre and kelham island / neepsend
city centre ; museum, head of steam, bath hotel, frog and parrot, great gatsby (always has a couple of pumps on), tap and tankard, bessemer (cheap and has real ale on), red deer, doctors orders, harley, forum, old house, devo cat plus usual wetherspoons and lloyds bar, fagans, dog and partridge, grapes, uni arms, green room (has good barnsley bitter on), sheffield tap, globe, rutland arms, roebuck, .- plus sure ive missed some
kelham island; riverside, harlequin, shakespeare, kelham island tav, wellington, fat cat, ship, gardeners rest, old workshop and again probably missed some

lets be positive guys - plenty to go at and i shall be visiting many over tramlines weekend for the beer and music

Last edited by creweblade; 13-07-2017 at 18:25.
21-07-2017, 12:26   #23
Claret

Total Posts: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by DnAuK View Post
Aye - it is. Would you like me to go through the list of new bars that have been touted around on this Forum over the last few years, and see how many are still open? DaDa, Anchorage, Hop, West St Ale House, Stone and Taps... they are only the ones that immediately spring to mind.

Plus, did you read what Dave said on the Shakespeare thread? The best of the Sheffield brewers sell more beer in Nottingham than they do in Sheffield. Having been to NCBW last weekend I can tell you it pee'd all over Sheffield Beer Week - something that may now struggle to continue after the loss of SiBA.

As a Sheffielder are you proud of this? Really? I AM a Sheffielder and I am not. I moved back to this area with high expectations a few years ago, and they have all been dashed. Pretty much everyone else I know from outside the city thinks the same way. Just happens that those that inhabit it seem to wear blinkers.

You think that one new bar can make up for this? I've said before that one bar does not a city make. Sheffield may have half a dozen good bars - at a push. Unfortunately even towns like Huddersfield have more than that. As for a new micropub opening in Woodseats, Pete - woooo! Exciting. Barnsley has had 3 new micropubs open in the last 2 months. Well donr for trying to catch up!

Fortunately it's SunFest next weekend. At least that gives me an excuse to come into Sheffield.
Wow! Aren't we a ray of sunshine?

Like others have said, I really have no problem finding somewhere decent to drink in Sheffield.

And, although I'm not involved in SBW anymore, thanks to everyone ELSE for the love!

---------- Post added 21-07-2017 at 12:27 ----------

Oh and I visited the Old Workshop a week or so ago. Lovely place. The ambience (on a Sunday afternoon) was great. Can't remember what I drank, but the lack of cask offering ain't gonna get my back up and I was perfectly well catered for.
25-08-2017, 10:15   #24
Bob Arctor

Total Posts: 1,689
It's very nicely done out and has a very nice feel to it. Bit pricey but great for an occasional visit. Neepsend coming up in the world eh? Who would have thought.
_______
If I'd known it was harmless, I would have killed it myself

From each according to their ability, to each according to their need
01-09-2017, 08:32   #25
DerbyTup

Total Posts: 2,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
A new bar opens to the public tonight in Neepsend. It's a joint venture and involves Tom from The Beer Engine so it might be good.

Article about it in Exposed here
Has Tom given up on the Beer Engine then and gone here? The reason I ask is because I think the Beer Engine has really gone downhill over the past few weeks. I've noticed a big change in terms of the range and quality of beers they have on. I suspect they must have lost some staff who knew what they were ordering, or, maybe changed suppliers or something? I'll give the Old Workshop a look, but it sounds like they don't have much on cask? Which is disappointing if that's the case.

Last edited by DerbyTup; 01-09-2017 at 08:34.
01-09-2017, 12:19   #26
SpiderPete
Camping Queen

Total Posts: 6,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyTup View Post
Has Tom given up on the Beer Engine then and gone here? The reason I ask is because I think the Beer Engine has really gone downhill over the past few weeks. I've noticed a big change in terms of the range and quality of beers they have on. I suspect they must have lost some staff who knew what they were ordering, or, maybe changed suppliers or something? I'll give the Old Workshop a look, but it sounds like they don't have much on cask? Which is disappointing if that's the case.
They don't have any cask at all, its all keg lines.
_______
After a list of real ale pubs, look no further : http://sheffieldalepubs.co.uk/

Facebook Group Here
01-09-2017, 20:11   #27
Bob Arctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderPete View Post
I've been wondering about this lately as I'm seeing more and more keg beers. My understanding is that CAMRA was formed as a response to the proliferation of keg beers but I'm not hearing much uproar at the moment. Is that because modern keg beers are better than in the 70s and 80s or summat else?

---------- Post added 01-09-2017 at 20:33 ----------

Quote:
I've been wondering about this lately as I'm seeing more and more keg beers. My understanding is that CAMRA was formed as a response to the proliferation of keg beers but I'm not hearing much uproar at the moment. Is that because modern keg beers are better than in the 70s and 80s or summat else?
_______

02-09-2017, 23:08   #28
taxman

Total Posts: 20,536
Send a message via MSN to taxman
Quote:
I've not noticed a drop in quality or choice at the Beer Engine, last two times I've been they had great cask and keg on.
_______
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

I am no longer Taxman!
03-09-2017, 01:16   #29
stpetre

Total Posts: 2,189
Good luck to the people of the Old Workshop but does anyone live in Neepsend any more and is the place more appreciated by daytime customers ?
Kelham Island and those little dark streets to Neepsend (unless driving) are at night with those old buildings and narrow streets somewhat like Victorian Whitechapel. (Well, perhaps not that bad.)
03-09-2017, 10:22   #30
Bob Arctor

Not Neepsend, but plenty of people with money to spend live in Kelham Island. It's also handy for those of us living in Pitsmoor - good places to eat and drink on our doorstep but without the property prices of Kelham Island.
_______

04-09-2017, 18:42   #31
jake

Total Posts: 1,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpetre View Post
Good luck to the people of the Old Workshop but does anyone live in Neepsend any more and is the place more appreciated by daytime customers ?
Kelham Island and those little dark streets to Neepsend (unless driving) are at night with those old buildings and narrow streets somewhat like Victorian Whitechapel. (Well, perhaps not that bad.)
The area has undergone massive changes in last ten years. I reckon you'll see far more bars & eating places open up over the next few years in that area
04-09-2017, 19:09   #32
stpetre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake View Post
The area has undergone massive changes in last ten years. I reckon you'll see far more bars & eating places open up over the next few years in that area
Perhaps Neepsend is to become the next Eccy Road, West Street or Sloane Square, whatever, all the best to any business that want's to open there. A few years ago, some (jumped up) people used to say 'Oh we go out to Derbyshire on the weekends'. Can you imagine folks now saying 'We don't do the Derbyshire or Eccy Road stuff anymore, we go to (pose in) Neepsend now'.
04-09-2017, 19:59   #33
jake

Total Posts: 1,691
Quote:
Perhaps Neepsend is to become the next Eccy Road, West Street or Sloane Square, whatever, all the best to any business that want's to open there. A few years ago, some (jumped up) people used to say 'Oh we go out to Derbyshire on the weekends'. Can you imagine folks now saying 'We don't do the Derbyshire or Eccy Road stuff anymore, we go to (pose in) Neepsend now'.
I take it from your signature that you no longer live in Sheffield? Like all cities, places change and some areas go into decline and others become gentrified. Its slowly been changing for a number of years in the Kelham island area - there's lot of new flats down there, then more real ales pub, and now bars and restaurants - and seems to have reached tipping point recently.

A friend visited recently - I was at Uni with him many years ago and we used to venture to the Fat Cat in the post industrial wastelands of Kelham island in the late 80s - he was gobsmacked at how much it had changed
04-09-2017, 21:06   #34
Bob Arctor

Quote:
Eccy Road seems to have a lot of vacant units on it these days. Maybe it's had its day.
_______

05-09-2017, 00:51   #35
stpetre

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake View Post
I take it from your signature that you no longer live in Sheffield? Like all cities, places change and some areas go into decline and others become gentrified. Its slowly been changing for a number of years in the Kelham island area - there's lot of new flats down there, then more real ales pub, and now bars and restaurants - and seems to have reached tipping point recently.

A friend visited recently - I was at Uni with him many years ago and we used to venture to the Fat Cat in the post industrial wastelands of Kelham island in the late 80s - he was gobsmacked at how much it had changed
I used to live in Pitsmoor and all the best to business' that open in Neepsend or Kelham Island, 'nowt' wrong with either area.
07-09-2017, 12:14   #36
jemson

Total Posts: 3,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
I've not noticed a drop in quality or choice at the Beer Engine, last two times I've been they had great cask and keg on.
Is OW just keg? Think it is....?!

Beer Engine quality declining. I`m , again, not sure.
07-09-2017, 12:34   #37
SpiderPete
Camping Queen

Total Posts: 6,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jemson View Post
Is OW just keg? Think it is....?!

Beer Engine quality declining. I`m , again, not sure.

OW is purely just keg, no cask, they have also just started doing 1/3rds as well. Now have 9 keg lines.

I have been in Beer Engine recently and the quality certainly hasn't declined.

went in last night (Friday) (Old Workshop) and must say it was packed again, its a nice walk from Stew & Oyster and did notice some people were in both pubs, the area seems to be alive now.
_______
After a list of real ale pubs, look no further : http://sheffieldalepubs.co.uk/

Facebook Group Here

Last edited by SpiderPete; 09-09-2017 at 10:13.
18-09-2017, 17:10   #38
DerbyTup

Total Posts: 2,910
Quote:
Oh right! Handbrake turn then and heading back to the Beer Engine!
19-09-2017, 09:50   #39
Lurgh Mor

Total Posts: 275
Quote:
Oh right! Handbrake turn then and heading back to the Beer Engine!
You drink and drive then?
23-09-2017, 10:47   #40
Stoatwobbler

Total Posts: 2,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Arctor View Post
It's very nicely done out and has a very nice feel to it. Bit pricey but great for an occasional visit. Neepsend coming up in the world eh? Who would have thought.
Much like the Gardeners Rest, it's an oasis of pleasantness in a less than pleasant area.
Reply To Topic