R.I.P Derek Wilkinson

RIP Derek. I'll never forget your FA cup double in front of 60,000 in 1960, my first visit to the Lane.

So sad to hear of the passing of Derek Wilkinson one of the Owls 5060,s finest wingers. R.I.P Derek and condolenses to family and friends.

https://www.swfc.co.uk/news/2017/september/obituary/

Who's who the photo ? I think that's Peter Eustace extreme right.

---------- Post added 13-09-2017 at 13:12 ----------

RIP Derek. I'll never forget your FA cup double in front of 60,000 in 1960, my first visit to the Lane.

I went to that game with one of my brothers, a Blades fan who was not best pleased at the result. He kept muttering on the bus home about Derek only touching the ball twice (scoring two goals) the whole game. A bloke sat in front turned to say, "Good job he don't touch it three times then !"

Edited by stpetre
add

I went to that game with one of my brothers, a Blades fan who was not best pleased at the result. He kept muttering on the bus home about Derek only touching the ball twice (scoring two goals) the whole game. A bloke sat in front turned to say, "Good job he don't touch it three times then !"

Recognise Gerry Young and Quinny,DW was just finishing his career as I started watching but RIP Derek.

L

Was my first derby, Derek got the goals but in all honesty Ron was man of match they were on top for long periods. Lost to Blackburn 2-1 In semi at Mane Rd , both goals coming from "The Doog"

Holding photo Derek on left, Bronco on right.

Edited by ALAN 58

Spoilt my day did that lad, but got to say 2 well taken goals at the Spoin Kop end.

Remember the game because of the battle between Doc Pace and Peter Swan.

United threw everything at Wednesday in the 2nd half, but the Owls held firm.

Touch of sadness that day for me. My Dad was at home in bed only a week or so from him passing away.

Used to watch the Owls at Hillsboro' and remember Derek swinging over pin point crosses to the head of Keith Ellis.

RIP Derek.

Spoilt my day did that lad, but got to say 2 well taken goals at the Spoin Kop end.

Remember the game because of the battle between Doc Pace and Peter Swan.

United threw everything at Wednesday in the 2nd half, but the Owls held firm.

Touch of sadness that day for me. My Dad was at home in bed only a week or so from him passing away.

Used to watch the Owls at Hillsboro' and remember Derek swinging over pin point crosses to the head of Keith Ellis.

RIP Derek.

Keith Ellis was in our gang when we went out on a Saturday night in Sheffield . I had no idea who he was until someone told me.

Keith Ellis was in our gang when we went out on a Saturday night in Sheffield . I had no idea who he was until someone told me.

That's what all the WAGs say. :)

That's what all the WAGs say. :)

That game at the Lane, they erected an temporary scaffolding type seating area across the cricket pitch boosting the attendance op to 60,000. A school pal of mine kept going on 'Ah but if Billy Hodgson (Blade) ant hit bar, it wudda been different', Billy did hit crossbar with- Ronnie well beaten- from like twelve feet !

That game at the Lane, they erected an temporary scaffolding type seating area across the cricket pitch boosting the attendance op to 60,000. A school pal of mine kept going on 'Ah but if Billy Hodgson (Blade) ant hit bar, it wudda been different', Billy did hit crossbar with- Ronnie well beaten- from like twelve feet !

Yes, it was 61,180. Can't say I remember the Hodgson chance or much else for that matter except that Wednesday were under the cosh for most of the game and I think one of Derek's goals went in off the right hand post.

Billy Hodgson was famous for his love of the mud or was it Billy Russell? The memory fades. :)

Yes, it was 61,180. Can't say I remember the Hodgson chance or much else for that matter except that Wednesday were under the cosh for most of the game and I think one of Derek's goals went in off the right hand post.

Billy Hodgson was famous for his love of the mud or was it Billy Russell? The memory fades. :)

Yes Jim, both the Billy's played at the same time -perhaps not in that game tho'- Russell a good inside forward and footballer, then Hodgson who was about 5'6" and closer to the ground (mud) so it was maybe him. One of Derek's goals, or both of them,he ran on to a through ball and outpaced his 'marker, who I think was Graham Shaw and whacked it past 'Hodgy' , both those were England internationals.

It was Billy Hodgson who was the 'mudlark', Jim. The pitch was sometimes akin to a ploughed field down the middle and the ball was more like a medicine type. How times have changed!

In those days I was one of the programme sellers so I always missed the start of every game whilst 'cashing up', which took place in the cricket pavilion. On the plus side I did get paid on a commission basis and had free entry. I recall that temporary stand made out of scaffolding and seem to think it was erected on more than one occasion.

echo.