Sheffield Forum
Your message here

The Best Italian Restaurant in Sheffield?

Home > Sheffield > Going out in Sheffield

Reply To Topic

30-08-2017, 17:10   #281
retrogirl23

Total Posts: 5
Send a message via AIM to retrogirl23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audrey2 View Post
B B's in the centre, I think its West Street? Its nice and initmate and the food is lovely.
Yes I've been there few times too - food is amazing and the staff are very friendly
31-08-2017, 22:47   #282
Jinkyj

Total Posts: 27
Not in Sheffield, but the recently opened "W" restaurant in Wickersley, Rotherham is really good. Lovely ambience and (judging from my first visit today) authentic Italian cuisine.
01-09-2017, 07:33   #283
Bilge

Total Posts: 2,188
What's the one in Crosspool like - anyone been recently? I don't mean Papa Ciccio's, the other, posher-looking one.
_______
bilge balderdash baloney claptrap cobblers codswallop drivel hogwash hooey poppycock tosh tripe twaddle
03-09-2017, 01:19   #284
WestTinsley

Total Posts: 860
Maybe it's not technically Italian it's Sardinian..but Akentannos on Sharrow Vale Rd is quite good..
He's doubling the size of the restaurant with closure of the P.O. next door so i hear
03-09-2017, 09:10   #285
BurtBackcrak

Total Posts: 22
Leo's Italian Express in Walkley - previously an amazing takeaway, has recently opened a restaurant as well. Highly recommend it great food, service, atmospehere and decor.
03-09-2017, 14:55   #286
bungleboy69

Total Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestTinsley View Post
Maybe it's not technically Italian it's Sardinian..but Akentannos on Sharrow Vale Rd is quite good..
He's doubling the size of the restaurant with closure of the P.O. next door so i hear

Think Mario is turning the P.O. into a small bar type area for pre dinner drinks etc. I would imagine it will be similar to Vero Gusto in the town centre.
03-03-2018, 11:03   #287
cocopops99

Total Posts: 31
La Gondola , Carver Sreet is reasonably priced and fair choice of meals. It caters very well for big groups, had my 50th birthday meal there 22 in the party and no complaints, good service, decent food.

BB's in town is delicious food and have a wide choice of options on the menu, friendly staff. You can take your own alcohol too which saves on the cost.

I also like Marco at Milano, its quite pricey but lovely food. You have to leave a deposit to book for Saturday nights though, let them down and you lose your deposit on bank card, think its £20.
03-03-2018, 17:09   #288
Bilge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopops99 View Post
La Gondola , Carver Sreet is reasonably priced and fair choice of meals. It caters very well for big groups, had my 50th birthday meal there 22 in the party and no complaints, good service, decent food.
I went there once and then at a certain point in the evening the owner or senior barman or whatever picked up a microphone and proceeded to do karaoke, or possibly what he imagined was crooning in a ghastly 1970s style. Absolutely awful. Not what we wanted from an Italian restaurant experience and we have never set foot in there since. Does that still happen?

So in town I'd stick with BB's. Can't go wrong there.
_______
bilge balderdash baloney claptrap cobblers codswallop drivel hogwash hooey poppycock tosh tripe twaddle
03-03-2018, 20:41   #289
taxman

Total Posts: 20,809
Send a message via MSN to taxman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilge View Post
So in town I'd stick with BB's. Can't go wrong there.
BB's is fine at their price point.

Everything is as you would expect from an "Italian" but they don't serve turbot, wild boar, venison or lobster as that would totally destroy their market position as cheap and cheerful.

I don't tend to go out to restaurants who just do the basics, I can do most things from their menu at home, using better ingredients for a quarter of the price.

I can't make lobster ravioli at home or wild boar ragu or truffle omelette so those are the sort of things I eat when I go to a restaurant
_______
I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

I am no longer Taxman!
03-03-2018, 21:38   #290
feargal
bitterly caustic

Total Posts: 2,760
Can anyone recommend a nice Italian restaurant which isn't too loud? I don't mean busy, but I have friends with hearing difficulties who struggle in echoey places, or with a lot of background noise. Sadly it seems to be fashionable at present to have high ceilings, and no soft furnishings to dampen sounds!
_______
"You need to learn to enjoy other people's misfortune; otherwise, you're going to have a very unhappy old age."
03-03-2018, 22:29   #291
soad

Total Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by feargal View Post
Can anyone recommend a nice Italian restaurant which isn't too loud? I don't mean busy, but I have friends with hearing difficulties who struggle in echoey places, or with a lot of background noise. Sadly it seems to be fashionable at present to have high ceilings, and no soft furnishings to dampen sounds!
Sette Colli
http://www.settecollirestaurant.com/
03-03-2018, 23:29   #292
lectrolove

Total Posts: 1,721
Quote:

I also like Marco at Milano, its quite pricey but lovely food. You have to leave a deposit to book for Saturday nights though, let them down and you lose your deposit on bank card, think its £20.
Completely agree about Marco@Milano, wonderful food, not cheap but worth every penny. The same goes for Vero Gusto.
04-03-2018, 07:14   #293
Bilge

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman View Post
BB's is fine at their price point.

....turbot, wild boar, venison or lobster.....
Ooh, get you.

No, I know what you mean. Personally, the restaurants I enjoy the most are those that give me a nice experience every time. It doesn't necessarily matter if I could make it as good myself. I always have a nice time at BB's, I like the food and it's in town rather than the suburbs.

Generally, if it costs me a lot of money to eat out I don't enjoy it so much. It's wasted on me. Much like champagne - it's all right but it's not worth the money. I like risotto and make it all the time at home, but if it costs almost £20 in a restaurant I would never order it. How good can it possibly be? I guess I'm still a peasant at heart. If I win the lottery I might change my approach.
_______
04-03-2018, 08:47   #294
Calahonda

Total Posts: 834
As this thread is close to eleven years old, it would be interesting to know how many of the earlier mentioned businesses are still trading, I’m too lazy to check on-line.
04-03-2018, 12:58   #295
Bilge

Here's a list of the 50-odd that have been mentioned in the thread (not including a few such as those in Rotherham and Barnsley). Feel free to edit it and spellcheck. Some have gone, some new ones have appeared which aren't yet on the list. It's debatable what is strictly an 'Italian restaurant' so it's got to be an inclusive list. But I haven't included some of the big chain pizza places but maybe we should add them?

Akentannos (Sardinian) on Sharrow Vale Rd
Antibo's, West One, City centre [GONE]
B B's, Division St, City centre
Bella Donna, Renishaw
Bella italia, Centertainment
Bella Napoli, Abbeydale Road
Buon Deli, Glossop Road, Broomhill [GONE]
Calabria, Chesterfield
Carluccios, Meadowhall
Casanova, Crookes
Cerones, Ecclesfield
Ferdinandos, Meadowhead
Kias Pastaria (Persian), Abbeydale Road
Kito's, Woodseats
La Civetta Di Roberto, Middlewood Road, Hillsborough [GONE]
La Dolce Vita, Sandygate Rd, Crosspool
La Gondola, Carver Street, City centre
La Luna on Ecclesall Road
La Romantica, London Road
La Scala, Abbeydale Rd/Archer Rd, Millhouses
La Terrazza 352 Sharrow Vale Road
L'incontro, Abbeydale Rd, near London Rd junction [GONE]
Little Italy, Dronfield
Mamas and Leonies, Norfolk St, City centre
Mamma Mia Pepe, Langsett Road
Maranello's, Ecclesall Road.
Marco at Milano's, Archer Rd, Millhouses
Marco's, Woodseats, near KFC.
Nonna's, Ecclesall Rd
Nonsolovino, Chesterfield
Otto's [formerly San Lorenzo's] Sharrow Vale Road
Oyes, Woodseats
Papa Ciccio's, Sandygate Rd, Crosspool
Pasta Bar, Sharrow Vale Road
Piccolino's, Peace Gardens, City centre
Piccolo's, West Street, City centre
Pizza Volante, Glossop Rd, City centre [GONE]
Popolo, Leopold Sq City centre [GONE]
Portofino, London Road, near Ponsfords
Prezzo, Centertainment
Prezzo, Ecclesall Rd
Proove, Broomhill
Roma café, Castle Street, City centre
Rossi's, Sharrow Lane, near London road
San Lorenzo, Northfield Road, Crookes
San Remo, Division Street, City centre [GONE]
San Remo, London Road
Sette Colli, Bradfield Rd, Hillsborough
Strada, Leopold Sq, City centre
Vero Gusto, Norfolk Row, City centre
Vito's, South Road, Walkley
Zizzi, Leopold Sq, City centre
Zizzi, Meadowhall
Zucca at St Pauls hotel, City centre
_______

Last edited by Bilge; 04-03-2018 at 13:14.
04-03-2018, 15:55   #296
DerbyTup

Total Posts: 3,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by lectrolove View Post
Completely agree about Marco@Milano, wonderful food, not cheap but worth every penny. The same goes for Vero Gusto.
Readers beware! This person knows what they are talking about!

These are the best 2 Italian restaurants in Sheffield by a country mile. That doesn't mean others aren't "good", or "pleasant".

But, let's imagine that you have dignatories visiting and we, us Sheffield folk, want to really impress them... You've basically got 2 Italian restaurants in the whole of Sheffield that could do that. Marco's and Vero Gusto.

Now...having put that aside...

Let's talk "cheap Italian" and "pasta and pizza" shall we?

I'll raise you "Proove" Pizza at Broomhill as having the best authentic Neapolitan pizza in town.
05-03-2018, 10:59   #297
Vrev

Total Posts: 28
Vero Gusto, which is lovely, appears to be for sale:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercia...-63048754.html
05-03-2018, 12:38   #298
Goooooogle

Total Posts: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrev View Post
Vero Gusto, which is lovely, appears to be for sale:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/commercia...-63048754.html
Oh No ... I hope they are all OK. A wonderful restaurant run by lovely people.

I can only think maybe they decided it was too much with two small kids to look after.
05-03-2018, 12:46   #299
cocopops99

Total Posts: 31
Reply to Bilge.

Not aware that La Gondola still does kareoke. Some years ago when it was under other ownership it did. Pretty sure it doesnt do now
05-03-2018, 17:07   #300
Bilge

Quote:
Reply to Bilge.

Not aware that La Gondola still does kareoke. Some years ago when it was under other ownership it did. Pretty sure it doesnt do now
Thanks! I'll give it another try in the near future.
_______
Reply To Topic