Tramlines Festival set to move to Hillsborough Park

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield News & Discussions

Reply To Topic

06-12-2017, 00:01   #141
makapaka

Total Posts: 2,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman View Post
Well they're hardly likely to say no to it moving to Hillsborough Park then, are they? It was basically a rubber stamp decision and I'm sure the concerns of residents were completely disregarded as a result.
Thereís nothing to disregard.

Itís a 3 day music festival in the park. Not planning permission for a fracking station.

I think the council encourage it because of all the benefits it brings to the city - rather than because the events manager was involved in it 8 years ago.
06-12-2017, 00:03   #142
Narden Dee

Total Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman View Post
Well they're hardly likely to say no to it moving to Hillsborough Park then, are they? It was basically a rubber stamp decision and I'm sure the concerns of residents were completely disregarded as a result.
I think it was always going to go to Hillsborough residents views haven't been disregarded I'm sure they'll look to implement solutions to some of the issues raised.

The bottom line is the pubs in town all benefit greatly from tramlines yet pay nothing towards it maybe if they were willing to put their cash into helping tramlines stay profitable it would still be in town and also free.

This way the organisers can maximise profits by having beer tents etc in the park
06-12-2017, 01:10   #143
ormester

Total Posts: 480
makes a mockery of the festival when it moved to pondersoa and lost appeal the fringe has a bigger appeal now
06-12-2017, 10:00   #144
Victoria1867

Total Posts: 590
I live 5 mins away and I will still go to the fringe
06-12-2017, 10:54   #145
chris101

Total Posts: 598
Well it's coming dread to think what state the park will be in when they leave. The annoying part of all this it's going to be here for 3 years the council & tramlines never mentioned the application they where making was for the 3 years.
06-12-2017, 11:34   #146
Cyclone

Total Posts: 68,893
Presumably the details were in the application, the council were aware of it, so what difference would it make had it been more obvious publicly?

---------- Post added 06-12-2017 at 10:36 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by makapaka View Post

I don't think i've ever been to tramlines and seen any trouble.
Me neither and I've been out in town most years on the weekends it's been on.
I don't pay to go in anywhere, but I do my normal bar cruise, and whilst it's busier than usual, and prices get jacked up, there's no more trouble and any other night (which is very little).
_______
Ask yourself, what would Chuck Norris do?
Youtube videos, snowboarding, climbing, bad drivers.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmn...qpXEZMGnJHf3Wg
06-12-2017, 11:55   #147
Ms Macbeth
Baby boomer

Total Posts: 17,186
Pensioner here, live near the park, won't be going to tramlines, but support it as I think it will be good for Hillsborough cafes, pubs and other businesses. It's three days.
_______
Health is the greatest gift,
contentment the greatest wealth,
faithfulness the best relationship.

Buddha
06-12-2017, 16:18   #148
Victoria1867

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Macbeth View Post
Pensioner here, live near the park, won't be going to tramlines, but support it as I think it will be good for Hillsborough cafes, pubs and other businesses. It's three days.
Might make for lively bbqs. Can always hear the football crowds!
06-12-2017, 17:01   #149
Olive

Total Posts: 1,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria1867 View Post
I'm hoping to capitalise on it the same we do with Niagara fireworks! Free entertainment a-go-go.
06-12-2017, 22:03   #150
Jen17

Total Posts: 23
Well I'm well past my sell by date, live very close to the park and I think it's brilliant !
06-12-2017, 22:11   #151
Lurgh Mor

Total Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen17 View Post
Well I'm well past my sell by date, live very close to the park and I think it's brilliant !
Don't consider yourself well past your sell by. Think of it as maybe past your best before!
I live 1/4 mile away up the hill. I think it will be great.
06-12-2017, 23:18   #152
Jen17

Total Posts: 23
Lurgh Mor - thanks for that - if you live 1/4 mile away up the hill sounds like you might be a neighbour ! Maybe we'll both be in the garden listening to free concerts - cheers !
07-12-2017, 08:32   #153
Lurgh Mor

Total Posts: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen17 View Post
Lurgh Mor - thanks for that - if you live 1/4 mile away up the hill sounds like you might be a neighbour ! Maybe we'll both be in the garden listening to free concerts - cheers !
I'll drink to that. Then again, I'll drink to a lot of things!
07-12-2017, 09:15   #154
Ms Macbeth
Baby boomer

Total Posts: 17,186
Quote:
Hearing the cheers always make me smile. We can also hear the music from the fair when we're in the garden.
_______
Health is the greatest gift,
contentment the greatest wealth,
faithfulness the best relationship.

Buddha
07-12-2017, 09:57   #155
Victoria1867

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Macbeth View Post
Hearing the cheers always make me smile. We can also hear the music from the fair when we're in the garden.
probably been a while since you heard them!

I have a season ticket but on the occasion I've had to leave early I have heard a cheer or the music pretty loud.

I think it's great the council are pushing Hillsborough park. Sheffield show, hillsfest and Friendsfest to name a few. Hopefully it will introduce people to the area and how easy our transport links are too.
07-12-2017, 10:32   #156
lil-minx92

Total Posts: 1,196
Great - thousands of visitors to the city will get to see Hillsborough and go away thinking Sheffield is the grotty dump they expected it to be. Normally they are sent down Attercliffe!
07-12-2017, 10:37   #157
Tavit

Total Posts: 341
I'll be sticking to the Fringe, more than enough pubs and gigs on all day virtually everywhere. More and more pubs are taking part every year. Leave the park to the kids.
07-12-2017, 11:21   #158
Victoria1867

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-minx92 View Post
Great - thousands of visitors to the city will get to see Hillsborough and go away thinking Sheffield is the grotty dump they expected it to be. Normally they are sent down Attercliffe!
Why is Hillsborough a grotty dump?

Those travelling via public transport will get off at Leppings Lane presumably and walk down to the leafy park. From the park they will be able to see the duck pond, 40,000 seater stadium which has had a facelift on that side and a primary school. Oh and a beautiful library.
07-12-2017, 11:34   #159
lil-minx92

Total Posts: 1,196
Quote:
Why is Hillsborough a grotty dump?

Those travelling via public transport will get off at Leppings Lane presumably and walk down to the leafy park. From the park they will be able to see the duck pond, 40,000 seater stadium which has had a facelift on that side and a primary school. Oh and a beautiful library.
And many will take a walk into the shopping areas which are, if we are honest, shabby- charity shops, discount stores, estate agents and betting shops. ..and the local pubs which again are spit and sawdust places. Whenever I drive through Hillsborough Iím struck by how run down and depressed it appears. Holme Lane has to be almost the grimmest road in the city. Itís sad that it hasnít changed in 20 years and itís sad that this is what visitors to the city will experience rather than the city centre
07-12-2017, 11:40   #160
Victoria1867

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil-minx92 View Post
And many will take a walk into the shopping areas which are, if we are honest, shabby- charity shops, discount stores, estate agents and betting shops. ..and the local pubs which again are spit and sawdust places. Whenever I drive through Hillsborough Iím struck by how run down and depressed it appears. Holme Lane has to be almost the grimmest road in the city. Itís sad that it hasnít changed in 20 years and itís sad that this is what visitors to the city will experience rather than the city centre
I doubt they'll go for a wander around the Barracks. It's a ticket only event, isn't it? So they'll get off the tram and go in!
Reply To Topic