Strange Pub Names

Home > Sheffield > Sheffield History & Expats

Reply To Topic

01-09-2017, 09:33   #81
makapaka

Total Posts: 2,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by princeowales View Post
i saw something on here about Byards Leap up on Norfolk park.
Wasn't Byard a magical horse or unicorn or something....

something else, not a strange pub name but what about the "top" Freedom and "bottom" Freedom on Walkley.....you could spend all night going from one to another looking up folks - good job they were connected by Freedom Road (there's a coincidence!)
There's also the Palm Tree at Walkley which sounds like it should be a cocktail bar in town but is in fact a nice traditional local pub.
01-09-2017, 12:01   #82
old tup

Total Posts: 1,278
Quote:
Originally Posted by crookedspire View Post
why Not Inn was at 27 Clun Street opened in 1864.

---------- Post added 04-03-2016 at 11:54 ----------

One name that is unusual but I like it was a pub called Cyclops was at 101 Carsile Street opened in 1864 closed 1922.
I bet that was a one eyed joint!.
_______
I only did it for a giggle!--Your Honour!
01-09-2017, 17:31   #83
Bash Street

Total Posts: 19
The "who can tell" brought back some memories.
01-09-2017, 18:11   #84
gaz 786

Total Posts: 182
A favourite pub in Grimesthorpe was called the WHO CAN TELL anyone know how it got the name ???
01-09-2017, 18:14   #85
cat631

Total Posts: 1,270
I put this on the Grimesthorpe thread some time ago. It may explain the unusual name of the Who Can Tell but no one believes it.
When a pub was opened on the corner of Botham Street and Ruthin Street, it acquired an unusual name: 'Who Can Tell'. I've often wished 'Someone Could Tell'
how it came to have the name but anyone who knew will have been supping pints in that great Tap Room in the sky for many years past.
http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...00/s217721.jpg
Could there be a clue with the absence of a question mark?
Are the words 'Who Can Tell' part of a longer sentence?
Was the landlord or lady hoping to moderate their customers drinking habits by way of a warning?
Or was it the result of someone's sense of humour?
Whatever the answer, it has been lost in the mist of time, a time of long ago. Or to be more precise, about 2,700 years ago in Nineveh. Nineveh is thought to have been in the modern day country of Iraq but like many civilizations throughout the ages, was mired in its own success.
Drunkenness, fornication, gluttony and greed were rife and the Great Almighty was not pleased.
God, who looked upon Yorkshire as the Heavenly county and spoke with a Yorkshire accent, sent for his old pal and trouble shooter, Jonah. "Jonah, get thi sen off t' Nineveh and sort the lazy sods art. Tell 'em, if they don't stop buggerin' abart an' mend their ways, I'll send a few plagues an' famines an' bolts o' lightenin', that should square 'em up".
Jonah jumped on a passing ship and set sail for Nineveh but he hadn't gone very far when the crew took a dislike to him and chucked him over the side. His problems got worse when a passing whale swallowed him whole. Then, Jonah's luck changed when the whale puked him up along with a couple of tons of smelly sardines on a sandy beach not too far from Baghdad.
He rented a camel for a couple of days and made his way to Nineveh where he sought an audience with the King who was also the chairman and concert secretary of the newly affiliated Nineveh Working Mens' Club." Th'art lucky t' catch me". said King Nineveh to Jonah. "Me an' t' committee 'ave just got back from a talent spottin' trip t' Sheffield", where among other things, they too learned to speak God's tongue.
Jonah said. "Shurrup an' listen". The King and the rest of the committee listened, while Jonah, as the saying goes, put the fear of God up 'em. Telling them straight about God's anger and threats to wipe the entire population of Nineveh off the face of the Earth.
Realising the error of their ways, the people of Nineveh asked for forgiveness and promised to spend the next six months wearing sack cloth and ashes.
When Jonah left, the King turned to the assembled people of Nineveh and said something like this:
"Who knows, God may relent and not destroy us if we repent and mend our ways?"

.................................................. .................................................. .....................
Jonah. Chapter 3: Verse 9.
WHO CAN TELL if God will turn and repent, and turn away from his fierce anger, that we perish not?
_______
In Vino Veritas
01-09-2017, 18:16   #86
stpetre

Total Posts: 2,184
Quote:
Originally Posted by old tup View Post
I bet that was a one eyed joint!.
The Cyclops pub- gone long before my life time- was on Carlisle Street near Hallcar Street and opposite the Cammell-Laird steelworks named 'Cyclops Works' perhaps hence the name. The steelworks became English Steel Corporation, retaining the Cyclops Works name. The building, as of 2017, is still there. Further along, on Carlisle Street East was the 'Atlas' pub across from Firth-Brown's Atlas works.

Also the 'North Pole' (Sussex Street), not sure what it had to do with the Arctic part of the world as in was in the Norfolk Bridge area.

Last edited by stpetre; 30-10-2017 at 22:35. Reason: Add
01-09-2017, 22:02   #87
sedith

Total Posts: 3,592
Not in Sheffield but, 'The Rest and Be Thankful' at Wheddon Cross, nr Watchet. Damn good Sunday Carvery it is too.
_______
The Devil made me do it!
02-09-2017, 10:17   #88
windswept

Total Posts: 54
There was a nice Pub in Middleton, Manchester called Who'd A Thowt It, the building is still there and maybe it's name was apt because who'd a thought it would be, what it is nowadays. Bet you can't guess
02-09-2017, 12:01   #89
Annie Bynnol

Total Posts: 1,972
"Legh Arms" north of Macclesfield on the scenic route from Sheffield to North Wales.
02-09-2017, 12:22   #90
diksey

Total Posts: 261
There is a pub near Hayle in Cornwall called The Bucket of Blood, nice pub though.
_______
Someone will always rain on your parade
30-10-2017, 19:53   #91
DP051153

Total Posts: 1
Reading about Cyclops in Sheffield reminds me when I worked at the Cyclops Works for about eight years as a maintenance electrician. About the late 70s, the factory had a 12,000 tonne press that could flatten steel plates up to a foot thick. The cranes used to be driven by women as well as men and I remember one called Ivy who could curse as good as she got, the reason they got rid of the women crane drivers was because by law they had to have their own toilets and British Steel decided it was time to go, before that toilets were shared. The company used to be owned by Cammell Laird and over the main gate was a large wooden camel, one day whilst working in the pump house we found a big wooden camels head in a cupboard which we gave to the then Manager David Guy. The main line of production when I worked there was armoured plate profile cut for the armies Challenger Tank which was sent to VSSEL a company in the north east who built the Challenger Tank. Just to finish, some of the over head cranes were AC and some were DC big control gear and the tower on Carlisle Street is the main high voltage sub station.

Last edited by DP051153; 30-10-2017 at 19:54. Reason: When Sheffield was king of steel.
01-11-2017, 09:29   #92
Person6

Total Posts: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by princeowales View Post
i saw something on here about Byards Leap up on Norfolk park.
Wasn't Byard a magical horse or unicorn or something....
When the place was built in 1964 there were a number of horsey clues included in the fabric of the building, such as sets of horseshoes set into the tarmac outside the front door and a hoop to tie your horse up set into the wall at the top of the front steps. All of these were quickly lost through various repairs and developments in the later sixties.
01-11-2017, 14:46   #93
jack reacher

Total Posts: 47
Not in Sheffield but in Norwich called the Murderers Arms, top name !
01-11-2017, 16:33   #94
choogling

Total Posts: 3,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by TORONTONY View Post
Fox and Duck rings a bell but can't locate it in my head. Used to go in the Fox and Grapes at the other end of Hadfields/ Millspaugh, but only when doing the odd night shift at shutdown time
there was a fox and duck on pyebank road now demolished

---------- Post added 01-11-2017 at 15:48 ----------

There is a rough pub on Manchester road Stockbridge lots of trouble fighting etc the police even installed a cctv camera on a nearby street pole, ironically its called the friendship the pub sign featured a pair of hands shaking. There used to be another pub of the same name at darnall near the canal both were stones pubs at one time
01-11-2017, 20:43   #95
diksey

Total Posts: 261
There's a Fox and Duck at Broomhill, John Smiths it used to be.
_______
Someone will always rain on your parade
09-11-2017, 09:50   #96
DerbyTup

Total Posts: 2,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsbro View Post
The Closed Shop and the North Pole. Not to mention the Bull & Mouth in Waingate. The name has nothing to do with livestock - it commemorates a naval victory at the "mouth" of a French harbour "Boulogne Mouth".
That's interesting about the Bull & Mouth. I remember that pub very well and never knew that. Another interesting fact I found out about pub names, the **** Inn, at Oughtibridge has nothing to do with what I thought it was to do with. It's about a chicken!

---------- Post added 09-11-2017 at 08:56 ----------

How about this one?

http://www.go4awalk.com/walkphotogra...rradcliff1.jpg

"The Quiet Woman", at Earl Sterndale, in Derbyshire.

Rather an unusual name for a pub - and rather a controversial pub sign too! I'm surprised the Feminazi haven't complained about it before now?

I love the caption "Soft words turneth away wrath". Indeed they do.
09-11-2017, 11:20   #97
Annie Bynnol

Total Posts: 1,972
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyTup View Post
... the **** Inn, at Oughtibridge has nothing to do with what I thought it was to do with. It's about a chicken![.
No. The CockInn refers to the cockhorses which were kept there.
"A horse added to a team of horses to assist a wagon through high water or over difficult terrain".
09-11-2017, 13:00   #98
kidley

Total Posts: 7,577
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerbyTup View Post
That's interesting about the Bull & Mouth. I remember that pub very well and never knew that. Another interesting fact I found out about pub names, the **** Inn, at Oughtibridge has nothing to do with what I thought it was to do with. It's about a chicken!

---------- Post added 09-11-2017 at 08:56 ----------

How about this one?

http://www.go4awalk.com/walkphotogra...rradcliff1.jpg

"The Quiet Woman", at Earl Sterndale, in Derbyshire.

Rather an unusual name for a pub - and rather a controversial pub sign too! I'm surprised the Feminazi haven't complained about it before now?

I love the caption "Soft words turneth away wrath". Indeed they do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie Bynnol View Post
No. The CockInn refers to the cockhorses which were kept there.
"A horse added to a team of horses to assist a wagon through high water or over difficult terrain".
i wonder what Derby Tup thought ?
_______
Beware of critics who claim to know what you mean better than you do.
07-12-2017, 11:37   #99
mr_blue_owl

Total Posts: 1,354
I remember when working on the railway south of Doncaster there was the Packet Inn which appropriately appeared to have closed down.
There was a pub with the nickname 'Swingers' (not sure which context it was used) in Sheffield city centre, However I cannot remember its proper name or exact location
I know of a pub in the Philippines which is grossly misnamed 'The Temple of a Thousand Virgins'
_______
'Bleating and babbling they fell on his neck with a scream.
Wave upon wave of demented avengers march cheerfully out of obscurity into a dream'
07-12-2017, 12:12   #100
RiffRaff

Total Posts: 3,207
There was/is a pub in Worksop called "The Frog and Nightgown"...
Reply To Topic