Kevin Ayers R.I.P

Kevin died in his sleep on Feb 18th ...He was 68 ..

I've been a fan of Kevins for more than 40 years ....Saw him play 3 times ,and had a Drink and a Chat with him on a couple of occasions ...A really nice Guy who wrote some great music ...Especially 'Shouting in a Bucket Blues' .( one of my favourite songs of his ..witty lyrics and a great tune )

R.I.P Kevin ....your music will always play a big part in my life .

I like this, from the Telegraph today:

Bernard MacMahon, from Ayers's record label Lo-Max Records, told the Telegraph that the musician had not been ill, but had "lived a rock'n'roll lifestyle". A note, which isn't thought to be connected to Ayers's death, was found by his bed which said, “You can’t shine if you don’t burn.”

just listening to his whatevershebringswesing lp now cheers guzzi

Really sad - I've got all his early albums and Joy of a Toy and Whatevershebringswesing are two of my all time favourites.

Soundtrack to a lot of my teens.

RIP Kevin - by the way, I'd like to say, thank you very much!

just listening to his whatevershebringswesing lp now cheers guzzi

Eighup Mel ...Bought that Bugger when i wa' 17 ...Great Album :) ....Last time i saw Kevin wa' in t' Boardwalk around 06.....i'd told my 2 mates that i'd met him afore and had a drink with him ...'Yeah Yeah , of course you have' they said :suspect:.....We went to the Bar and Kevin was alone , buying a drink ..... I said to Chris (who was serving at the time ) '3 pints please mate and i'll pay for Kevins ' ... Kevin turned round , looked me in the face and recognised me immediately ,remembered my name , shook my hand and i had a good chat with him...Wish you could've seen their faces :hihi:

Eighup Mel ...Bought that Bugger when i wa' 17 ...Great Album :) ....Last time i saw Kevin wa' in t' Boardwalk around 06.....i'd told my 2 mates that i'd met him afore and had a drink with him ...'Yeah Yeah , of course you have' they said :suspect:.....We went to the Bar and Kevin was alone , buying a drink ..... I said to Chris (who was serving at the time ) '3 pints please mate and i'll pay for Kevins ' ... Kevin turned round , looked me in the face and recognised me immediately ,remembered my name , shook my hand and i had a good chat with him...Wish you could've seen their faces :hihi:

heh good story, met a few musicians, not as lot over the years, never seen kevin :(

that album to me has influences ranging from frank zappa, floyd and gong in it

heh good story, met a few musicians, not as lot over the years, never seen kevin :(

The first time i met him , he'd just finished a Gig and i asked the Bassist if it was OK to have a quick word with Kevin ...He pointed to the Dressing Room , i went in , introduced myself ,Kevin said ' have a seat mate'...then the band members came in with a tray of drinks ...Kevin asked if i'd like a JD's with them ( i didn't need asking twice :hihi: )..Chatted for about 30 mins :)

I used to love playing "Song From The Bottom Of A Well" in stereo headphones. So many highlights - David Bedford's orchestral arrangements on "Among Us...", Kevin & Robert Wyatt harmonies on the title track, Mike Oidfield's guitar solo (still for my money his best bit of work), the snatch of Joy of a Toy appearing in "Champagne Cowboy Blues"..........

I bought the album for my 17th birthday (along with Mothers live at the Fillmore East) then went to see the Monty Python Film followed by Pink Floyd doing the DSOTM tour at the City Hall. What a day!

I used to love playing "Song From The Bottom Of A Well" in stereo headphones. So many highlights - David Bedford's orchestral arrangements on "Among Us...", Kevin & Robert Wyatt harmonies on the title track, Mike Oidfield's guitar solo (still for my money his best bit of work), the snatch of Joy of a Toy appearing in "Champagne Cowboy Blues"..........

I bought the album for my 17th birthday (along with Mothers live at the Fillmore East) then went to see the Monty Python Film followed by Pink Floyd doing the DSOTM tour at the City Hall. What a day!

A DAY?:suspect:

indeed, what A day lol

rip kevin. i have all his solo work through "yes we have no mananas". still gets listened to fairly regularly. i agree with you guys about "whatevershebringswesing" - some great sounds on that album. then you've got ollie halsall on "dr dream" - memories.

i saw him in concert at sheffield university in the mid to late seventies ... a night i'll never forget.

Dunno if any of you are on Facebook , but there's a Kevin Ayers Appreciation on there ...i joined it a few months ago ...you can View Photos , Discuss all about Kevin ...Well worth a look :)