What's the cheapest way to get Sky?

I don't want Sky, 500 channels of crap. BUT I am getting sick of my Freeview box skipping and stuttering because of the reception, so Freesat is appealing. I want the cheapest possible sky TV which I can cancel after a year and then I can get a Freesat box.

Are there any good offers / tips / tricks to get a good deal?

Cheers

:)

I could just buy a dish, but surely fitting it won't be cheap. I kind of assumed Sky do the lot.

If you purchase Sky through quidco you can get up to £200 cashback and a £15 M&S voucher (that's obviously for the full package, but there are deals scaled from everything from the basic package upwards).

BTW, I can't remember where I read this, but with Sky you can add an additional 2 devices to watch Sky on (over the internet), they have apps for Xbox 360, iPad, PC, etc.

I was doing some research not so long ago about the possibly of sharing a Sky subscription with a family member (I wasn't really bothered about having the dish and the Sky+ box etc, I just wanted to watch football sometimes). So I was thinking I'd maybe chuck them a fiver a month for one use of one of their additional 2 devices. It seems Sky regularly check for people doing this (especially sharing both of their device allowances with family - I guess they know if you're doing this say if all 3 of you are watching things at the same time from different IP addresses) and I read a few people state that sky had just cut them off and cancelled their contract!

Something for you to muse over :)

I guess they know if you're doing this say if all 3 of you are watching things at the same time from different IP addresses) and I read a few people state that sky had just cut them off and cancelled their contract!

Doubt they'd just cut you off. They promote the anytime as being able to 'watch things whilst out and about' on phones and tablets. So two or more IP addresses could simply be one at home, one on a train somewhere, and one on a tablet in Starbucks (for example). The subscription for Sky is for the household, not just for one person, so it is perfectly justifiable for different IP addresses to be in use at one time.

The only way I could see for Sky to deduce that someone was taking the mick with it would be if they constantly cancel and re-register certain devices (as you can only have the two registered), which would flag up that you were up to something.

Aren't Sky contracts 18 months now?

Just get your aerial and cable sorted.

The only way I could see for Sky to deduce that someone was taking the mick with it would be if they constantly cancel and re-register certain devices (as you can only have the two registered), which would flag up that you were up to something.

I've been looking for the forum thread I was reading this on, but can't find it again now! (grrr, v. annoying!)

One of the examples I remember being given was that someone had given their son/daughter one of the free Sky device access services to use while they were at university and another to a family member to use on his x-box. I guess they (Sky) would have some sort of automated system that flags up when people are using their assigned devices more frequently than would be expected of someone who uses the service for its intended purpose (i.e. if all three of them are all watching sky all night, every night).

Also, of course, it may be that they were cancelling the contracts blocking the services, only in cases where people were already out of their minimum contract.

But what the hell, it's worth trying, you have nothing to lose (unless of course you really do want to use sky player yourself) :hihi:

My friend signed up to sky, with tv, internet and phone.

As it is with most people, their internet was slow compared to her old provider, so she rang them up, complained (within 14 days of contract) and got it disconnected.

She still has her sky box and dish with freeview channels :)

I could always try and sort out my bloody Freeview out so it works properly!

Cheers all. My ideal lazy git solution of sky with cash back working out almost free probably isn't going to happen. Was worth an ask tho.

:)

Are you sure it's not the freeview box? Might be worth borrowing one from someone first before spending a small fortune on an aerial?

I got a deal in meadow hall, 62 quid a month for a great package:)

Are you sure it's not the freeview box? Might be worth borrowing one from someone first before spending a small fortune on an aerial?

Box has been replaced by Humax and this one does the same. It just doesn't seem to like it here.

:(