Are Led Zep Over Rated?

Never a LZ fan, but Stairway to Heaven is an absolute rock classic/legend, see below from Wiki. I'm sorry but even I know overrated bands do not sell that many albums.

Led Zeppelin are one of the best-selling music artists in the history of audio recording—various sources estimate the group's sales at more than 200 or even 300 million albums worldwide. With 111.5 million RIAA-certified units they are the second-best-selling band in the United States. Each of their nine studio albums reached the top 10 of the US Billboard album chart, and six reached the number-one spot.

over rated!! you,ll be saying john bonham wasnt very good on the drums next, must be something to do with the "x factor generation" sacrilage!!

Obviously a matter of taste but here's a little anecdote for you.

My last car had one of those cd players which plays mp3 too. I decided to make cds of mp3s of all my favourite artists, The idea was that I would put all their albums into a folder, remove any tracks I wasn't particularly in to and burn the rest on to the cd. If you'd asked me before the exercise who would have the fewest tracks removed I would have suggested The Beatles, R.E.M, Pink Floyd or the mighty RUSH, with the Who, Genesis and New Order as outsiders.

You guessed it; it turned out to be, surprisingly to me, Led Zeppelin. So, by my "rejection of filler" method (and, yes, Stairway was one of the few rejections) Led Zep are officially the best band ever.

Rampent what on earth are you drinking? - I'll have a pint of whatever it is :)

LZ the finest and probably the most influencial Rockband ever - SP (they are unheard of outside UK you know? - they were a typical UK flirtation ) but heyho X Factor is popular too!! so what the hell do I know?

If everybody like the same stuff there would be no need for debates like this but Zep were / still are one of the biggest and best bands going - in my opinion of course :cool:

Zeppelin were the best and most influential rock band of their time and their back catalogue stands the test of time.However,John Bonham was such a fundamental part of their sound that the band died when he died.

You can't beat a bit of Zep love em to bits can still listen to them and not get bored, lots of other bands sound abit dated now! Going to see them at Knebworth in 79 is still one of the highlights of my life!

Carry on watching X Factor Ramp. You never know, a true star may emerge someday.:)

Leave Ramps alone. He's a big Jack's Rake fan. Incontravertable proof of his highly developed taste.

I think so. Sex Pistols had more influence IMO :)

Culturally maybe but certainly not musically. Saying that, I do like the Pistols.