Getting VHS transferred to DVD

Does anyone know whether/where I can get this done? I have quite alot of home videos that I would like to get transferred.

I think you'd be better of buying a DVD recorder and connect it to your VCR and do your own copying. Probably work out cheaper.

i was going to do the same via my pc,but its prolly easier to get a dvd recorder and do it that way,

id stay away from those all in one dvd/vcr things,although even simpler the quality does suck,

ive got about 300 vhs tapes :o good job im only going to put around 80 onto disc :D

JJ..

If they are retail VHS recordings then you may be SOL because many DVD recorders won't allow you to copy the original. Otherwise I'd say that getting hold of a DVD recorder or even a DVD / hard drive combi would be the best bet.

So long as you get one with RGB input you shouldn't lose quality in the transfer, although to be quite honest most of my VHS stuff that I transferred wasn't worth the effort, the picture quality is just rubbish compared to DVDs or even freeview.

I got some of the old super 8 video from a camcorder put on to dvd from a small electrical retailer on Eccelsall Rd - can't remember the name, just up from Berkley precinct towards Hunters Bar. Done by the next day at £5 a tape. Hope this helps.

You can get a machine that transfers to your computer and then you can put onto DVD. Me I just have a VHS DVD player recorder, don't even need to transfer. It has automatic clean up too.

Does anyone know whether/where I can get this done? I have quite alot of home videos that I would like to get transferred.

If it is actually "home videos" then you should be fine just connecting your VHS player to a DVD recorder. They have a few DVD recorders in Cash Converters in Hillsborough for a very reasonable price (some under £40).

If its pre-recorded videos that you want to transfer then you may be out of luck as most VHS tapes used copy protection called Macrovision that makes any copies made almost completely unviewable.

I got some of the old super 8 video from a camcorder put on to dvd from a small electrical retailer on Eccelsall Rd - can't remember the name, just up from Berkley precinct towards Hunters Bar. Done by the next day at £5 a tape. Hope this helps.

Would that be the Sony shop - Hewitts I think it's called?

If you have one of these and Linux and follow this advice (don't go on the hardware link as the new one I've given you above) here

regards,

swarfendor43