How easy is it to replace a laptop screen

Hi all

I've had a nightmare and damaged the screen on our Dell Inspiron laptop!

My wife uses the laptop for working from home so as you can imagine I am in big trouble!!! I'm temporarily trying to arrange to use a pc monitor to link to the laptop.

When I first got the laptop the screen had a fault and Dell replaced the screen under guarantee but I know to have it repaired now by Dell it will cost over £200.

Now I've looked around online and found somewhere that will replace and fit for £150 but I've found on eBay a replacement screen for £44.

Could someone tell me how easy it would be to replace the screen myself? I saw on a blog someone had done it themself and showed how they did it step by step and it looks simple enough.

Many thanks for any advice and if by random someone has a 15.4 laptop screen spare please PM me.

Rob :)

if u go on u tube it will show u howto take it out

Usually easy enough as long as you can find a small enough screwdriver (jewellers set?)

Have a look on the Dell website & you should find explicit instructions for dismantling & reassembling your laptop. I know there is a full manual for my inspiron 4000 so I would expect one for yours (you didn't say which model it is).

Thanks all for the advice peeps.

I have been lucky and a friend has said they will do it for me if I get the screen. The screens which are cheaper £40-£60 are not genuine Dell and a few videos on Youtube say its rare a non Dell screen would work...Can anyone relate to this???

A genuine Dell screen is £80-£100 so I'm thinking of just paying the extra to make sure.

Thanks again.

PS. Bluepolo-Its an Inspiron 6400, and has been a really faithful laptop hence the reason I'm so keen to repair it.

Deleted by me!

Edited by sccsux

Thanks all for the advice peeps.

I have been lucky and a friend has said they will do it for me if I get the screen. The screens which are cheaper £40-£60 are not genuine Dell and a few videos on Youtube say its rare a non Dell screen would work...Can anyone relate to this???

A genuine Dell screen is £80-£100 so I'm thinking of just paying the extra to make sure.

Thanks again.

PS. Bluepolo-Its an Inspiron 6400, and has been a really faithful laptop hence the reason I'm so keen to repair it.

the 'Generic' screens should work, providing you fit them properly, they can some times be a little duller than the standard dell ones, but should work fine... This is in my experience any way.

Deleted by me!

Edited by sccsux

When I had to replace the screen I mentioned above, I removed the old one first and got the part number from that (turned out to be manufactured by Samsung, so the found a UK stockist and got the exact same model as Dell were using).

TBH The replacement was far superior to the original:thumbsup:

I watched a video on Youtube of someone replacing their screen and noticed that when they removed the old screen it said Samsung....

Thanks will look into that too.